Keyhole and "Bent" bullet? Need Help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Keyhole and "Bent" bullet? Need Help

Post by Bullard4075 »

Son-in-law called me with something I have never seen before.Subject rifle is a custom built 6mm Remington, glass bedded Enfield action his dad had built for him for graduation. Keep in mind I have never seen this rifle so I am trying to troubleshoot over the phone. Outside of spraying bullets all over the paper - and some off the paper- he sent me a picture (attached) of a keyhole "bent" bullet. Cracks and such around the hole sure appears to not be a backsplash or ricochet but a "bent" bullet going front to back through the paper. I am baffled.
Keyhole E.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Keyhole and "Bent" bullet? Need Help

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw something similar years ago while in gun smith school. One of my classmates chambered a wildcat, 22/303 British. It was a smoking hot round on par with the 220 swift. He had a heck of a time getting groups as jackets were getting ripped off , the cores were only thing getting to the target, some sideways. I doubt that this is the case here. I suspect fouling but... can't see a bad crown as the culprit.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Handloads?

Barrel twist rate?

One of the things about a 'custom' rifle (car/jeep/motorcycle) is you're not sure all the things the other guy did.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Check to make sure he's got appropriate bullets for bore and twist rate.

Has it always done this or is it something new?

Has he changed ammunition?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The picture almost looks photoshopped.
It would be helpful to know the weight of the bullets fired.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This has me thinking! Ask if the caliber is stamped on the barrel. We know the .244 and 6 mm Remington are the same except for the twist rate! The 244 was a varmint cartridge and the 6was a big game rifle. Still doesn't explain 1 bullet being that screwed up... Hmm, did he maybe flinch hitting the ground before it hit the target by richoet?
I put a 6mm together, very accurate rifle, sorry I sold it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:37 pm Hmm, did he maybe flinch hitting the ground before it hit the target by richoet?
I was just gonna suggest the same thing.
Most likely a ricochet.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:37 pm This has me thinking! Ask if the caliber is stamped on the barrel. We know the .244 and 6 mm Remington are the same except for the twist rate! The 244 was a varmint cartridge and the 6was a big game rifle. Still doesn't explain 1 bullet being that screwed up... Hmm, did he maybe flinch hitting the ground before it hit the target by richoet?
I put a 6mm together, very accurate rifle, sorry I sold it!
I asked some questions. 6mm factory ammo, 100 gr I believe. He is pretty sure a 9 inch twist Skip off the ground sounds closest I thinking. I'll report anything found.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Re: Keyhole and "Bent" bullet? Need help ....Update!

Post by Bullard4075 »

UPDATE : SIL took it to a respected gunsmith here in town. Free floated barrel is touching. HEAVY copper fouling in half or so of the barrel. The barrel has some pits and apparently is ruff (SIL didn't understand exactly) so I'm guessing the gunsmith intends to lap the barrel. SIL told of some guy - not sure if it was the builder of the rifle- who made some "hot" handloads for this rifle using Blue Dot (I asked twice if it was Blue Dot) powder. Scary stuff. The stuff is all gone. Rifle may be back by Friday.
Jeff Cooper
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

BLUE DOT !!!
Fouling- yeah maybe.

BLUE DOT !!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:55 pm BLUE DOT !!!
Fouling- yeah maybe.

BLUE DOT !!!
Asked two, three times. Couldn't believe it myself.
Jeff Cooper
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I’ve had blue dot bridge in a powder measure. Gets zippy on the next round😳
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Blow it up a bit.....Looks like a horses head..the ears and all.---006
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I sure hope the guy said Bl-C2 and the phone connection was poor and your SIL heard blue dot....
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Was talking to a friend about this. He uses blue dot in his 243. I asked why since there’s a bunch of better powders. He said it was at one point he had a keg of it and not much else so he tried it and it was accurate. Never bothered to search for a different load.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Can somebody explain to me why blue dot is such an outrageous choice here? I’ve never used it and don’t know anything about it other than that it is a shotgun powder.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

You'd have to know something more about the load details to see if Blue Dot was "scary" in this application. Blue Dot is one of my favorite powders for cast bullet shooting (which is pretty much all I shoot these days) and would be quite an appropriate choice for the 6mm Remington, giving loads at or above the 50% fill line so a double charge would really stand out. As I play around in QuickLoad I see it would also not be a bad powder to give fairly zippy velocities with normal pressures for jacketed bullet plinker or kid-level hunting loads (I have a "youth" 243 that I use to start kids hunting with modest loads for quite light recoil and Blue Dot would seem a good candidate though I'd never before considered it).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm not familiar with Blue Dot, but here's a list of cartridges it's being used for on AmmoGuide.
Blue Dot.png
Burn Rate Chart from LoadData - (click to enlarge)
Burn Rate Smokeless Powder.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "