Finally a new cartridge and handgun of interest to me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Finally a new cartridge and handgun of interest to me

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, this just came to my attention today as its very new to the USA (Demolition Ranch has one of the 1st 10 in the USA) but the cartridge and pistol have been in development since 2011. I'm very impressed with the external ballistics of it, and how FK built the pistol around the cartridge in typical over-built Czech style (and what Dick Casull did for his 454 cartridge). Its a modified CZ-75, one of the best pistols ever made. Here's the Wiki page for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FK_BRNO_Field_Pistol

The Demo ranch page which I'm a bit reluctant to link too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnE50OU9R78

That being said, it is WAY over-priced for its level of quality. $7500 hundred dollars from what I'm reading so far. Might be less on Gunbroker or other site, but still overpriced. A better impartial review here:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... ld-pistol/

Its about what your personal needs are, "what are you going to use it for", and what fits into your personal collection.

If your looking for a powerful auto loader suitable for hunting, and weight and size doesn't matter, and your going to carry it on a chest holster, the 460 Rowland is maybe the most cost effective, or maybe a Desert Eagle in 50 AE or 429 DE.

If size matters using an auto-loader, a Commander framed 10mm would be my first choice, but I have sadly not had access to one in Comminfornia. We do now have access to 10mm Glocks in 2 sizes.

For chest carry, I'll take one of my big revolvers in 454 Casull or 460 Smith and Wesson although my 2 3/4" barreled 460 snubbie "banana gun" will wear on my hip just fine.

Anyhow, I just thought I would share something unusual that I came across that is impressive, just over-priced. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Finally a new cartridge and handgun of interest to me

Post by AJMD429 »

For Revolvers in the ultra-high-power category:

> In 44 Mag, I think a Ruger Redhawk is quite ergonomic and pleasant to shoot.
> In 45 Colt '+P', I'd again choose the Redhawk.
> In 454 Casull or 500 S&W I don't know what I'd choose - the recoil is too much for me anyway... :|

For Semiautos in the ultra-high-power category:

> In 44 Mag, I find a Desert Eagle ungainly but shootable.
> In 10mm, I think I'd choose the CZ, but a Glock would be ok.

For Single-Shots, of course you can get pretty much ANYTHING you want...

I guess it would depend on WHY I needed something more powerful than the 45 ACP in semiauto, or the 44 Mag in a recover..... :?

If it was 'firepower' I needed (as in volume-of-fire), I'd go with an 'AR' pistol, probably in 300 Blackout if the problem was 2-legged predators, or 50 Beowulf, if the problem was 4-legged predators.

If it was 'knock-down' I needed, I'd either go with the Beowulf AR in pistol format, or a big-bore revolver.

Fortunately for me, living in the Midwest USA, the biggest game I'll see is a whitetail, the nastiest 4-legged predator I'll see is a pack of feral dogs, and I generally stay away from 2-legged predators when I can. So I never feel bad with the good old 9mm Luger, 300 Blackout, 45 ACP, and 44 Magnum when it comes to handguns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a RIA 10mm, a .44 mag, and a .480 Ruger. Living in Texas, I am unlikely to run into anything more dangerous than a large wild pig. OK, they can kill you, but they tend to run more often than they attack. I think that for the price, what I have will be just fine.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A 95 grain bullet at 2,000 fps out of a handgun.....that is impressive for those guys to be able to put that technology together with those results.....I had a Model 53 22 Jet and if I remember I was getting 1800 with a 40 grainer...way below what the factory claimed.

It's a rich mans game to be able to throw that loot around.

Ive shot near every production cartridge and my comfortable limit is the 44 mag and that's with a 10" Smith....Flattops Rugers beat me up too much....10 grains of Unique is about my limit anymore.

Some guys are immune to recoil...Tutt must be.... :D ...at our handgun Silhouette matches one guy shoots the 500 and the 460 with full power loads when a cartridge like the mid range loaded 44 Spl. Is enough for what we do...don't bother him a bit.

This new cartridge must have a wicked muzzle blast....that too is beginning to affect me.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My mother said "no sense, no feeling". She probably was not talkung about Tutt ;-) Here he is firing his 460 snubbie ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A 460 Snubbie??!! That thing would fly out of my hand.

On the same note, I used to buy 45-70 once fired brass from this rich guy who had several of those 45-70 revolvers and only used factory ammo. I probably bought well over a thousand and other guys bought the same...he had a 20 gallon drum full of brass and after buying a mess of it it was full again in another month or two......

Anyway, the reason I'm saying this is because the guy developed major issues with his wrist and elbow joints....it was so severe he had to quit shooting altogether. -----006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey Tutt, that is unique and handsome, must be fun to shoot. I read the whole review and was interested in the "butterfly sight". I hunted with a 10" SBH 44 in Alaska for years with a rifle bead front sight and a peep rear sight. Shot just like a carbine and made lots of meat. My point is that peep sights work great, even if they're not butterflys. I think I had about $12.49 invested in mine.

I thought the action with the recoil slug beneath the barrel was interesting. Made me wonder how a roller locker might function with that setup.

I really like the sculpting of the metal. And the "glass" like operation of the slide. But then I wondered how it might function after the sand and mud test?

Cool read.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Six, the snubbie 460 does bruise the web of my hand the first time I have shot it in a while, but after that it ceases doing so for some reason. A shooting glove would help I'm sure. I've not experienced any joint pain but I let it roll up and don't go rigid and fight it more than I have to. Really the other part that bothers people is the muzzle blast. It's like trying to thread a needle when you know a grenade is going to go off in front of your face that pushes your glasses against your nose.

Grizz, I agree the FK is a clever design for sure. One of the more interesting sight combo was one my friend Torkelson had made for his Freedom Arms revolver. Its a one off custom ladder bar sight that mounts on the rear. Pretty neat.

Here are some other new sights designed by Dwight Williams. I have the twin aperture front sight on a customized PCP airgun in 45 caliber. Works real well. After its tune-up it shoots a 200 grain HP pure lead bullet at 800 fps. Not bad for an airgun.

https://www.dwbattlesight.com/products.html

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel