Need a scope suggestion.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Need a scope suggestion.

Post by piller »

I put together an AR 15 in .458 SoCom. It has a full length picatinny rail and I put flip up sights on it. What it probably needs is an inexpensive scope in 3-9 x 40 for it. Any suggestions? I probably won't be using it for anything over about 100 yards. The sights work fine, but I am looking at scoping it and want ideas for a scope which will stand up to the sort of odd recoil of an AR in a large caliber. I am using 325 grain Hornady FTX gummy tip bullets with H110 at around 1750 fps. It doesn't kick as hard as my Guide Gun, but it has more of a back and forth movement. I might just get a red dot due to not needing 1 hole at 500 yard accuracy.

Suggestions?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Need a scope suggestion.

Post by wecsoger »

Leupold is always gold for me, but may be more $$ than you want.

Check out Vortex, they have a couple within your requirement.

I'm more familiar with their red dots than glass.

What I've played with though is good.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I ordered a Leupold off Amazon that has the 450 bushmaster BDC. From Amazon and for monthly payments with no interest no less- why not I figured! It was a chinch to install & sight as per normal.
I did order a Vortex from Amazon, it was stolen in transit! Now it's a disputed purchase .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I use the 1-4x20 Leopold shotgun scope on my ARs.
Weighs only 8oz., Leopold quality, and costs only a couple hundred bucks.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the Leopold and Redfield 2-7x scopes for hard-hitting guns, but I'm putting more and more red-dots on things if my goal is only within 5 MOA or so of practical accuracy. If the gun is sub-MOA I'll go all the way up to 20x or even 40x, the latter being more for 'bench' or 'target' guns. I have a 50 Beowulf and am still vacillating on optics. Right now it has a red-dot, but it is very accurate, and that really doesn't do it justice. I do figure I’d likely use it for hogs or fast-moving big things, so don't really need much magnification, if any.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My 458 Socom has a leupold 1.5-5 with the hogplex reticle. I REALLY like it in that application. I hope to be able to give a field report on it effectiveness on hogs in February. 10 of us are going to Georgia for my birthday hunt.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I think a Leupold fixed 2.5X would be perfect for that chambering
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thank you all. I will look at the prices on the Leupold scopes. Vortex has been good on my .30-06.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is my opinion...opinion...not knowledgeable expert advice......hard core AR guys go for red dots like ACOG's or similar to what the military uses....that's the best for combat.....are you going into combat? ....

My opinion for having the best of both worlds is what the guys here have already mentioned...a low power scope for all around use.

Being older it's very hard for me to get used to a Red Dot or whatever they call those electronic things....I like a scope. They help me see what I'm shooting at...a Red Dot does not. For combat shooting a bright green light dot is fast for "getting on".

DO NOT BUY JUNK.....a Leupold or similar cost scope is the lowest I'd go to. Old Win suggests a low power shotgun scope...excellent advice for shooting up to a hundred or a bit more.

For all around shooting you don't want a scope that's as big as the rifle with a huge objective lense....sleek, short, and low to lower power are the words to keep in mind.1-4.......2-7....

Below are pictured three AR's with 3 kinds of scopes.....

Top is a 300 black out with a 3-9 Leupold....a little big but acceptable

Middle is my long range target rifle with a Nightforce...benchrest only.

Bottom is my "battle rifle"...2-7 Leupold....notice how "sleeker" it is? Less bulk and when it's down to 2 power, you can "get on" pretty quick. Remember, NO JUNK $39.99 Tasco.... :D ----006

Model A Uzi’s
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Another vote for entry level Redfields, Leupold and vortex in 3-9x40. had the redfield on a Ruger 96/22LR which was overkill but I had it spare. Intended to take it when I eventually got a smaller rimfire scope but it ended up staying on there.

Red Dots are okay but I personally like the ability to magnify, also Im lazy- managing batteries is an extra thing to worry about and forgetting to turn them off can leave you with dead sights when you really need the gun.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

fordwannabe wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:00 pm My 458 Socom has a leupold 1.5-5 with the hogplex reticle. I REALLY like it in that application. I hope to be able to give a field report on it effectiveness on hogs in February. 10 of us are going to Georgia for my birthday hunt.
This is my FAVORITE scope of all time. Have one on my model 70 featherweight.

44shooter wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:24 pm I think a Leupold fixed 2.5X would be perfect for that chambering
This is an excellent scope! I have one on a trapper Marlin and love it.
When my eyes get too bad for the Aimpoint T1 on my Colts 6920, this is the scope that will replace it.
It weighs a mere 6oz.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I like Leupold , but the older ones I don’t care for what they make now . I’ve got a dozen or so Athlon scopes and have them on all sorts of things including heavy hitters . Athlon are made in China which I don’t care for snd aren’t terribly expensive . The ones I have on my 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag are the cheaper Athlons that we sell at about the $100 mark . To be honest I thought that 416 would thrash them but it didn’t . So as much as I don’t like “made in China” and as much as I think inexpensive scopes are junk , these scopes are pretty good but .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I like the Leupold 1-4x scopes. Did great shooting with them at 200 yards, Also have a Bushnell 1-4x 223 AR plex. Nice scope but heavy. Its a 30mm tube. It albasically new. Check them out if it interests you I'll give you a decent deal on it. The Leupolds, 1 has fine crosshairs, the other has thick crosshairs. Those are mounted on my 38 Special and 30/30 T/C Carbine barrels. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!