Rossi 1892 magazine hard to load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Rossi 1892 magazine hard to load

Post by mickbr »

Fellas, wondered if what I am experiencing is normal for a 357 Rossi. When loading the mag, the rounds are tough to push right in, the bullet nose seems to ride or catch over something once past the gate. I am assuming they are contacting something at the mouth of the mag tube internally. Examination reveals something shaves a bit of the left side of the bullets nose, or more accurately 7 oclock position as if looking down into the magazine. Wide flat points or hollowpoints catch a little worse. The load gate was initially too sharp and over sprung as a separate issue, this was released by the shop. The gun chambers every length of 38 and 357 I feed it so no problem there. Its just this loading catch point that is a bit hard on the thumb round after round. The shop smith said its down to "pistol cartridges in lever actions, get used to it" but my other Rossi fed easier than this.

Some research reveals taking the mag tube off and chamfering or re-radiusing some area at the end?
Another suggested something from the foregip could be intruding into the mag tubes space ?
Someone also suggested replacing the plastic follower with a steel one, which may be a good idea generally, but not sure if it would address this particular issue.

Thanks for any thoughts
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi 1892 magazine hard to load

Post by .45colt »

Five years ago I won a new in box "old stock" Rossi 44-40 on Gun broker at a give away price.it took Me along time but I finally ordered the action video and stainless magazine follower from Steve's Guns.
when new it was a thumb buster to load more than a few rounds . first thing I did was replace the mag follower. in the magazine tube was a plastic limiter about 6" long :shock: that went back in the box. If I member right Steve suggests cutting some coils off of the mag spring which I did. I took the action apart and did a lot of what Steve says to do to help them run and it was well worth the effort.
I just loaded 10 rounds in the mag easily and one more that was a little tough for 11. If You open the lever 3/4 th's of the way without raising the shell lifter You can easily see the end of the magazine and by pushing the follower forward with a small screwdriver or pen You can see what the end of the magazine looks like and if there are any burrs that need removed. Good Luck, even a cave man like Me did it. I'm sure Steve will be along shortly.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are