Ruger Buys Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger Buys Marlin

Post by Rube Burrows »

Hate to see Remington having so many problems but love that Ruger was the high bidder on Marlin. Ruger is a great company and I know they will do the Marlin brand well.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remin ... ushmaster/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Buys Marlin

Post by CowboyTutt »

I agree and thanks for sharing the article. This may actually all work out ok! I tend to think Barnes will also be safe under Sierra too, but Barnes is also the back-up buyer, so they will be fine either way. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I hope this isn't a back door takeover and destruction of Ruger. You know, like Marlin, and others...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Hopefully Ruger will see fit to remove those goofy QR codes etched into the receiver sides!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is going to be interesting....finally, after 30 years, a Marlin that will work......and hold up.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If nothing else Ruger will hopefully keep the name alive and if we are lucky Marlin will become what it once was!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A suite of beloved lever action rifles is just what Ruger needs to balance its offerings. This is great news.
Also interesting that Sierra is high bidder for Barnes. They have been rather moribund in recent years.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:20 pm This is going to be interesting....finally, after 30 years, a Marlin that will work......and hold up.---6
Prior to Remington buying Marlin in 2008 I never heard of any issues with Marlin firearms.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:20 pm This is going to be interesting....finally, after 30 years, a Marlin that will work......and hold up.---6
Six,
You gave me a good laugh with that one too. :lol:

Isn't Ruger the same company that has had a recall on just about every new firearm they have released in the last 10 years? https://ruger.com/safety/announcements.html

........and don't forget the thousands of aftermarket 10/22 parts available just to make it shoot well. :D

.....,but I do agree that Ruger will probably do a much better job with the brand than Remington did. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

We can only hope that Ruger bought in because they see a chance to make money the way they always have. By making customers happy.

I looked through the list of Ruger recalls and it was far from "every" new model. I was curious because I own several Rugers including handguns and presently one American .22 mag. I've never had a recalled weapon, but looking at the list it seems that SOME other mfgs should be as responsive as Ruger when there are problems. The one occaision I needed warranty work was fast and easy and my issue was addressed. I had a revolver rebarrelled once and that was cheap and fast.

I don't know about 10/22s. I already had the world's best .22 auto so never felt the need for one. But from watching friends it seems like the AR of .22s. LEGOs for big kids. They seem to have fun modifying and shooting them. I would think that's a good thing. I love my levers, but there are other fun toys out there too.

This breakup centered around Remington's holdings has been planned and talked about for some time so none of those were impulse buys. Hopefully all involved will thrive under their new management.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:04 am
Prior to Remington buying Marlin in 2008 I never heard of any issues with Marlin firearms.
Well there were "Marlin jam #1" and "Marlin jam #2". My understanding is that these were a result of the ancient machining equipment being used by the old Marlin Company to build those "JM" rifles. I never owned a rifle with "Marlin jam #2" but I have owned two of those "Marlin jam #1" rifles. Still have one of them, a 336A from 1950 which is one of my favorites. My fix involved JB welding a strip of metal in the appropriate place on the lifter, though there were other techniques that worked.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

It will be interesting to see how these are made, and what the quality looks like.

Cerebus sucked the life (read money!) out of Remington with stock buybacks and
all of the other tricks to keep the stock prices up. Unfortunately, this is highly
destructive to manufacturing businesses. They're selling off anything of value
now, and the trademark will be the last thing to go. I'm optimistic with Ruger
and Sierra buying parts that those parts will survive and prosper. We'll see about
the rest of the stuff.

-Stretch
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Larkbill wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:25 am We can only hope that Ruger bought in because they see a chance to make money the way they always have. By making customers happy.

I looked through the list of Ruger recalls and it was far from "every" new model. I was curious because I own several Rugers including handguns and presently one American .22 mag. I've never had a recalled weapon, but looking at the list it seems that SOME other mfgs should be as responsive as Ruger when there are problems. The one occaision I needed warranty work was fast and easy and my issue was addressed. I had a revolver rebarrelled once and that was cheap and fast.

I don't know about 10/22s. I already had the world's best .22 auto so never felt the need for one. But from watching friends it seems like the AR of .22s. LEGOs for big kids. They seem to have fun modifying and shooting them. I would think that's a good thing. I love my levers, but there are other fun toys out there too.

This breakup centered around Remington's holdings has been planned and talked about for some time so none of those were impulse buys. Hopefully all involved will thrive under their new management.

I never said "every" and my whole post about Rugers was meant as tongue-in-cheek. Note the emoji's at the end of each line? Six knows I was just messing around.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The Marlin 1894's that used pistol cartridges were J-U-N-K.........pretty much like the foreign copies of 1892 Winchesters...J-U-N-K.

Hit or miss with these guns....most were fine....a lot were J-U-N-K.

Would you buy a Ford pick up truck if there was a 10% chance the steering wheel was going to fall off?

I've owned hundreds of antique Winchesters and Marlins and I would have ZERO worry about the gun shooting and feeding even if they were drug behind a horse on a gravel road. They were not always accurate but I usually made them accurate.

I was HEAVY into cowboy action during the nineties and up to around 2005, traveling the Pa.and De. circuit and I was the "go to" guy for quick repairs.....99% of these guns were pistol calibered Marlins.....like Earl says, there was a nasty jam with these guns not to mention their fat groove diameters and their easily broken cast internal parts with many other parts wearing prematurely...

Take it for what's it's worth...YOU read it..I DO it.....like most everything else that's argued on this board.... :D

Have a nice day gentlemen! ------006....secret agent man!!!
Model A Uzi’s
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

KWK wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:39 pm Hopefully Ruger will see fit to remove those goofy QR codes etched into the receiver sides!
+1000. Its bad enough in my opinion to have the serial number there......the QR codes are absolutely a turn off.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Never had an issue with my old 1936, 36, or 336 Marlins in any caliber. I have known several people who owned 1894's in .44 Magnum that had troubles, and that was a common issue of that model and caliber combo. Never heard of any 1894's in .357 that had issues, even shooting both .357 and .38 Specials.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I gave my son an 1894 44 magnum. He shot his first deer with it and made a lot of meat, disposed of innumerable pop cans and kelp heads, plinked a lot of sea shells, made more meat, etc. my only beef is that it would not stabilize bullets heavier than 300gr. Grrr. But for the little deer in SE Alaska, it was a hammer. A Hammer.

It never gave us any back talk or wasted our time. Superfine. That one was super fine.
laflaone
Levergunner

Post by laflaone »

I see that JJE Capital Holdings, LLC was the successful bidder for AAC(Advanced Armaments Corp). This is of interest to me because I own a Element2 suppressor made by AAC that I use with my Ruger 22/45 MKIV Lite and my Marlin 795.
Glock 17, Mossberg Maverick 88 Security and 9mm MC1sc, Ruger 22/45 MKIV Lite, Marlin 795 and 30AW, AAC ElementII suppressor
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

laflaone wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:38 pm I see that JJE Capital Holdings, LLC was the successful bidder for AAC(Advanced Armaments Corp). This is of interest to me because I own a Element2 suppressor made by AAC that I use with my Ruger 22/45 MKIV Lite and my Marlin 795.
I don't know much about JJE but hopefully they will continue to put out the brand and have the customer support.