Marlin Marauder Numrich barrel ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin Marauder Numrich barrel ?

Post by Walker »

Hey Guys, does anyone know if the barrel stamping was positioned the same on those Marauder barrels Numrich sold?

I've seen 2 different 35rem Marauder barrels where the rear sight cut was over the New Haven address instead of starting over "-Micro-Groove."

Thanks, TW
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin Marauder Numrich barrel ?

Post by marlinman93 »

The reason for the erroneous sight cuts is the same reason those barrels were at Numrich. Marlin often sold defective barrels, or what they considered "junk" parts to Numrich for scrap metal prices. Numrich then sold them to whoever didn't mind the defects.
And when Marlin moved from New Haven to North Haven they did a major cleanup of the old factory, and sold tons of old stock parts to Numrich for scrap metal prices! Bill Brophy told me he was scrambling to save as many old parts as possible, but they were shoveling them into 55 gal. barrels to haul off to Numrich. He saved some original NOS Ballard barrels, plus various other late 1800's barrels and parts. But it was miniscule compared to what went to Numrich.
On a trip to New York with my wife to visit her family in the 1980's, I took a drive over to Numrich. I asked about a "tour" and was gladly given a look around. I still saw some barrels of Marlin parts they hadn't yet sorted or identified. And they seemed clueless of what they had, or how to identify the parts. There were parts of 1890's Marlin lever action repeater takedown systems that would be gold today! I asked about buying them, and was told "not until they can be priced". But they couldn't price them because they had no idea what they were. And they weren't interested in me helping, or pricing them.
No idea what happened to those parts, as I gave up on calling them every 6 months to ask if they'd sorted and priced them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin Marauder Numrich barrel ?

Post by Walker »

Thanks! That explains the one listed on gunbroker with a 'replaced' buttstock. I'll stay clear of that one then.