need correct forearm length for numrich octagon barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

need correct forearm length for numrich octagon barrel

Post by FLINT »

Hey guys,

I got one of those 26" octagon 38-55 barrels from Numrich and its at the gun smith right now being put on a winchester 94 receiver.

does anyone know what the correct length forearm is for this barrel?

The barrel already has a dovetail cut for the tenon, so I know I need a tenon, forend cap, forend and magazine tube. all of that other stuff is pretty universal as far as I can tell. I think there are pre and post 64 versions of the forend cap, but it seems like that just needs to match the forend style. Can anyone verify that there isn't anything specific about the receiver that is pre or post 64 specific as it relates to the forend?

so for example a pre-64 forend needs to be used with a pre-64 forend cap, but either of those will work with any receiver right?

I guess the main thing right now is the length of the forearm. I know based on the position of the tenon cut that a longer forearm is needed but I don't know the exact length (as there are many lengths available between 9-11").

Thanks for any help!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: need correct forearm length for numrich octagon barrel

Post by BenT »

I used that barrel on a build over a decade ago. You will be very happy with the accuracy of it. I used a pre 64 forend on a post 64 receiver, no issues. I had the pre 64 forend cap with a screw from each side, the post 64 has 1 screw that goes all the way through. My forend measures 9 3/8 inches from the front of the reciever to where it meets the foreend cap, I don't remember how far under the wood goes under the cap. I got the pre 64 forend cap from Numrich. I believe people are getting forend caps and tenon from Uberti for their 1873 replicas now. I used the magazine spring from twenty inch carbine and it works just fine.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks! I'm looking forward to putting this gun together!

It sounds like I need a 9 1/2" forend then. Both pre and post 64 forend caps are available on numrich so I'll get which ever version matches the forend that I'm able to find. Currently the only 9 1/2" forend that numrich has is $110 which is a little more than I'd prefer to pay if possible (since that's almost what I paid for the barrel). Do the Uberti 73 forends also fit winchester 94s?
I think I'm going to go with about a half length magazine and just drill a small shallow hole for the mag tube pin
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

FLINT wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:48 pm Hey guys,

I got one of those 26" octagon 38-55 barrels from Numrich and its at the gun smith right now being put on a winchester 94 receiver.

does anyone know what the correct length forearm is for this barrel?

The barrel already has a dovetail cut for the tenon, so I know I need a tenon, forend cap, forend and magazine tube. all of that other stuff is pretty universal as far as I can tell. I think there are pre and post 64 versions of the forend cap, but it seems like that just needs to match the forend style. Can anyone verify that there isn't anything specific about the receiver that is pre or post 64 specific as it relates to the forend?

so for example a pre-64 forend needs to be used with a pre-64 forend cap, but either of those will work with any receiver right?

I guess the main thing right now is the length of the forearm. I know based on the position of the tenon cut that a longer forearm is needed but I don't know the exact length (as there are many lengths available between 9-11").

Thanks for any help!

I can tell you from experience that the problem I ran into is that the barrel does not have any taper to it so I was getting a fit that was a little less than ideal. I was basically turning my 1979 Winchester 94 into a pre 64 looking rifle. I went with a rifle fore end wood that is actually a uberti replacement and ordered a buttstock from numrich that was made with the pre 64 crescent but that mates up to a post 64 receiver. I went through three different for end caps before finding one that fit at least satisfactory. I boogered up my magazine hanger from my own lack of knowledge at the time and ended up having to use a little JB weld.

I can move my fore end wood just a smidgen back and fourth because of the modification that I had to do since the barrel had no taper.

All in all though, I am very happy with this rifle. I got it as a 1979 carbine 30-30 that was completely taken apart and had NO bluing left on it. Now I have a 38-55 26" rifle. When I blued it I went for a weathered old look.

It has been a long time so I can't remember the specific measurements but I can take any measurement that you need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks!

That's a sweet looking rifle, great job!

so, both of you guys mentioned Uberti parts. where do you get those from ? part numbers? etc.?

Thanks!

my rifle is mid/late 60's vintage. I'd love to get that weathered look you've got going there.

I already have a crescent post 64 stock that I got from numrich. all I need now is the forend and related pieces.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Actually, do either of you have a way to accurately weigh your finished rifle? like with a kitchen or postage scale?

I'm really curious about how much the final weight will be.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

8 1/2 pounds. It plants nice for off hand shooting.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks!

That's what I wanted to hear! I want to add some heft to this rifle. it was only 6lbs before and not especially fun to shoot with stouter loads.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

FLINT wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:43 pm Thanks!

That's a sweet looking rifle, great job!

so, both of you guys mentioned Uberti parts. where do you get those from ? part numbers? etc.?

Thanks!

my rifle is mid/late 60's vintage. I'd love to get that weathered look you've got going there.

I already have a crescent post 64 stock that I got from numrich. all I need now is the forend and related pieces.

I think I got my foreend stock from ebay but I'm not 100% sure on that. I was searching all over to find one that length.
Got the buttstock from Numrich as well as other parts like the end cap, metal for buttstock, magazine hanger, magazine etc.

For the finish I did a Rust Bluing job and wiped it down in some places and did more in some places until I got the look I was happy with. I also sanded some of the finish off of the barrel in places too because the barrel was the only part of the gun that had bluing once put together.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

FLINT wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:05 pm Actually, do either of you have a way to accurately weigh your finished rifle? like with a kitchen or postage scale?

I'm really curious about how much the final weight will be.
Let me see if my scale will weight it. Its pretty heavy no lie but balances well when carrying.

It seems to weigh 8.4 pounds but I am not sure if that is exactly right. My scale is not made for this low of a weight but it every time I took it off and put it back on it would go up to 8.4 pounds and then zero back out.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Rube Burrows wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:43 pm

I think I got my foreend stock from ebay but I'm not 100% sure on that. I was searching all over to find one that length.
Got the buttstock from Numrich as well as other parts like the end cap, metal for buttstock, magazine hanger, magazine etc.

For the finish I did a Rust Bluing job and wiped it down in some places and did more in some places until I got the look I was happy with. I also sanded some of the finish off of the barrel in places too because the barrel was the only part of the gun that had bluing once put together.
I did see a forend on ebay that looked right but the length wasn't listed in the description. I emailed the seller but he hasn't responded :( guess he doesn't want a sale :(

I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to mess with the receiver finish - its from the earliest post 64 period with the super funky receiver material.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

FLINT wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:48 pm
Rube Burrows wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:43 pm

I did see a forend on ebay that looked right but the length wasn't listed in the description. I emailed the seller but he hasn't responded :( guess he doesn't want a sale :(

I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to mess with the receiver finish - its from the earliest post 64 period with the super funky receiver material.
Yeah, my plan was to color case harden this one but then after research I found that most who do the color case hardening do not recommend doing post 64 Winchesters because of the metal. When I got this parts gun there was no finish so I just experimented with the bluing and got it to where I was happy.