Doorbell Security Camera ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Doorbell Security Camera ??

Post by Bullard4075 »

No problems yet but looking for a Doorbell camera. A limited search so far has me leaning towards a Simplisafe https://simplisafe.com/video-doorbell-pro . I like the modular aspect if I was also to expand (likely) to a Simplisafe full system. Pros , cons, opinions ? And yes, plan B (1911) might embroil excitement,noise, visits from the Thin Blue Line and worst of the worst carpet cleaning. A quality Plan A is hoped to preclude B.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Doorbell Security Camera ??

Post by jeepnik »

I use Ring. But not a doorbell cam. I looked into them and they just don't provide much field of view. I went with a camera that uses a solar panel for power and is connected to my network with wifi. The only issue I have had is that when I initially installed it I had it covering the street in front in such a way that every car that came by was tripping it. Once adjusted properly it works quite well, covers not only the front of my house but my neighbor as well. She's a single woman living alone now that her kids are grown.

One of the things to look for is resolution. Some cameras have such poor resolution it's hard to identify folks.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I prefer a peep hole large enough for the front sight of my Benelli to fit through :lol:
I have a camera that covers just the driveway, wifi enabled and get updates on my phone. It too goes off when a spider crawls across the lens, the wind blows a branch casting a shadow. But ill gladly get false alerts than not a little piece of mind.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have the Blink system, and love it. One time purchase, no monthly fees. I can talk to anyone who comes to the door, and it alerts to my phone to tell me someone is approaching the door.

I do also have a Simplisafe security system, and I like it as well. But when we wanted to upgrade to add cameras they told us we'd have to pay another $5 a month for monitoring a video feed. So I preferred to not increase my monthly rate and went with Blink. We got 3 cameras, and the base for $199. So we watch both sides of the house, and the front door.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/