Turtle hatch

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Turtle hatch

Post by Pitchy »

A painted turtle lays some eggs in the yard a few months ago and they hatched today.
We took them to the lake and let them loose. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvOl5_E ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB7WyLk ... e=youtu.be
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Turtle hatch

Post by piller »

Very cool. Good deeds are sure to come back with something positive.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's really great Lenn, mother turtle knew what she was doing when she left her brood in your hands.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thats super! Turtles a neat critters. I always stop and move them when I see them on the road. Back when I was at the lumber yard the local snapping turtles would lay their eggs in the mulch bin. I did my best to relocate them but more than one egg went out on delivery.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Pretty cool. I had one of them little suckers as a pet when I was a kid. It liked earth worms and flies.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I always knew you were ok Pitchy! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks guys, Todd you now have family in five point lake. :)
We`ve been watching over the nest for a couple months as skunks like to dig up the eggs so we covered the nest with a cage.
Weird critters guess they can stay in the ground all winter and hatch in the spring if it turns cool to early.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I always thought it was amazing they could hibernate in the nest. But then again they bury themselves in the mud under water, ive even caught turtles in december by breaking thru ice. Ah to be, young and bullet proof again..... :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Pitchy when I was a little fella, I'd follow my Great Grandpa Otto around a lake that was loaded with big bulldogs and soft shelled turtles. He would probe the soft sand with his cane till he found a batch of turtle eggs. He would dust em off and put em in his hat, very excited. At home he kept the eggs in the frig , and would eat 2 or three raw, shells and all with his cofee. We ate many bulldogs and soft shelled turtles back then, delicious. The turtles would get on our trotlines while we fished for catfish, Dad would only butcher the big ones after bleeding them real good, they had a real fine sea food flavor :D Dad would kill the bulldogs by taking a broom straw and inserting it easily in a spot on back of their head, they made a little squeak and died in second, us kids thought such frog killing was just like magic, and would never miss it. Glad your turtles didn't meet up with Otto!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s quite a story pard but don`t sound very tasty to me but people eat a lot of things that i wouldn`t. :)
I`ve never tried frogs either, pickled pig hocks was a different story. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Octagon, on a frog there is a spot in the spine just behind the head where a broomstraw or a metal rod, such as a thin brazing rod, will slip in and short out the spinal cord as it goes in and scrambles the brain. On alligators a round nose .22lr will do it. Those crazy alligator hunters on Swamp People do that. We had to learn to kill frogs that way in lab classes so that they did not feel any pain.
D. Brian Casady
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Pitchy you'll be glad you missed the "cuisine" at last week's annual dove party. Besides piles of doves, my crazy Cajun neighbor brought a big plastic tub of goat testicles :shock: which he seasoned Cajun style and breaded in cormeal and fried like catfish. These farmboys have been trying to get me to eat these for years, I always thought they were trying to jive me...the farmers wife brought me a plate (My boy and I were providing the slide guitar music) and I ate some, and went and got some more, not just good but dang good :shock:. We had a great time with the ladies and kids dancing up a storm, beer music, food, and friends and family. Gotta look out for those Cajun, they eat anything! That turtle and frog meat are looking pretty good now yes?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That reminds me of Ray Stevens' song Gourmet Restaurants.

We have frogs legs that are sure to please.
Well HooRay for you boy! Now hop on back there and bring me a grilled cheese.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

we had a box tortise on a light chain in the back yard in Nevada, my early days. After big downpours Dad would load us all into the car and cruise the byways, stopping to flip the tortises upright that had been flipped by the flash flood waters. never did learn if he was right that the the box turtles can't right themselves... anyone know?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz, I had a Three-Toe Box Turtle I kept with me in the semi, she could right herself most of the time. When I fed her nightcrawlers she bit the head off, then eat its body while watching the head wriggle. Then after she would grab the head and eat it from back to front. She also loved nectarines... Todd

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

octagon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:48 pm Pitchy you'll be glad you missed the "cuisine" at last week's annual dove party. Besides piles of doves, my crazy Cajun neighbor brought a big plastic tub of goat testicles :shock: which he seasoned Cajun style and breaded in cormeal and fried like catfish. These farmboys have been trying to get me to eat these for years, I always thought they were trying to jive me...the farmers wife brought me a plate (My boy and I were providing the slide guitar music) and I ate some, and went and got some more, not just good but dang good :shock:. We had a great time with the ladies and kids dancing up a storm, beer music, food, and friends and family. Gotta look out for those Cajun, they eat anything! That turtle and frog meat are looking pretty good now yes?
I`m eating a spicy beef stick at the moment, that`s close enough for me :lol:
Good stories fellers. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pitchy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:13 pm That`s quite a story pard but don`t sound very tasty to me but people eat a lot of things that i wouldn`t. :)
I`ve never tried frogs either, pickled pig hocks was a different story. :lol:
We could get those for a nickel at the store. Gnaw on that thing all day. :D
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good one Todd. I never found out if Dad was chasing old wive's tales, or if, as I suspect, it was just an excuse to get out of the house and go somewhere. he was mostly all about going anywhere. there were some upside down ones where he looked for them. i think our back-yard tortise did fine on grass and whatever scraps Mom sent his way. good old memories

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:55 am Grizz, I had a Three-Toe Box Turtle I kept with me in the semi, she could right herself most of the time. When I fed her nightcrawlers she bit the head off, then eat its body while watching the head wriggle. Then after she would grab the head and eat it from back to front. She also loved nectarines... Todd