Savage 99 Tang safety disassembly

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Savage 99 Tang safety disassembly

Post by fordwannabe »

OK Obviously I am a mouth breathing uneducated clod! I am unable to remove the tang safety from my model 99 to identify why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. I want to remove the bar from the action and remove the actual safety button from the top of the tang. I suspect stuff or a burr or something it causing the issue. If anybody knows or has a link to instructions for the tang safety model(as most videos show the lever safety) please help an old mouth breather deplorable. Thanks
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Savage 99 Tang safety disassembly

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Tom.....for a guy who can rip suspension, motors, transmissions, or rear ends apart I find it strange that you cannot figure that out.....remember ...parts meet parts and are held together by a fastener...period....the trick is to know what part to take off first.

I've had Savages down to the last screw but I can't explain it out of my head..I just do it.

Take the stock bolt out first that's hidden under the buttplate and go from there.

YOU CAN DO IT T-BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!-----006
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I had the stock off. I even had the pins out buuut, I am unsure how the “button/slide “ and the safety lever come out. I can get them out but at this point it’s a minor issue f I “take them out” I will probably need some new parts.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Gee, my Savage 99 has the top-tang safety too, but I've never had to take it down.

But the comments and pictures on this posting from The Firing Line (click here for link might give you some ideas. Look at replies #19 and #21.

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Hope pics helps. They are from a thread on the 24HrCampfire. I've never messed with a tang safety, but had filed this just in case. I don't know if the mechanics/internals of the top tang safety varied at all between 1960 when introduced and end of production. Based on the gold trigger in the pics, this was on one made between 1960-70.
99 Tang Safety.png
tang safety 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well Thank you all fit the help. I used the pictures and was able to get the safety slide out. It’s really easy about the third tome ya do it. I found a burr oN the front slot where the Safety slide rides on the main retaining pin and that was causing the hang up. (Homage to GunnyMack here) It works a treat. Thank you all.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Glad you got it fingered out! Even a ham handed guy can gummsmiffs! :lol:
( did ya get the dining room cleaned up before the Boss got home?)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sure did.
reivertom
Levergunner

Post by reivertom »

I know how you felt. I remember the first time I took my 99 apart. ....lots of little stuff to keep track of. After I did, I got on the 'net and ordered a few extras to keep just in case. Some of the parts you could lose if you sneeze too hard.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Lucky to have a great gunsmith here in Reamstown,Pa not far from Womelsdorf.Clay Yount Gunsmithing.. 717-336-4240 . he is very good with old guns.Does all his own work unless it is factory warranty.