Range Trip Was a Blast!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Range Trip Was a Blast!

Post by COSteve »

So nice to get back out there. Great weather and the smoke from the Cali fires was light today. Anyway, 1st up was my Rossi .357mag carbine with Steve's bolt top peep sight I've been anxious to get sighted in. This morning I decided to give it one more turn up after measuring the sights heights before I went out and as luck would have it, it turned out to be spot on for 150yds with my 125grn medium loads. :D

I thought that 150yds was all I could reasonably do with the carbine and the 22" sight radius but I tried it at 200yds and was surprised at how well I did. I adjusted the sight up just 1/2 turn and reinserted the aperture and I was spot on at 200yds.

So, being ever the optimist, I set out a couple of bowling pins and gave them a go. No, it's not as easy as with the rifle's 30" sight radius tang and globe sight system but I'll be darned if I didn't hit a few of those pesky pins. :lol:

Hat's off to Steve's sight as it was great. I didn't have to drift my front sight at all because even at 200yds, it was laterally right on the mark. I'm going to back off the lock ring and apply some blue Loctite to keep it right where it is.

Next up I gave the Hi-Point 40s&w carbine a go and at 25 and 50 yds it's actually pretty good with my hottest loads at both 155grn and 180grn. Even at 100yds the accuracy is actually decent but out past 100, it starts to die vertically just as the ballistic calculators predicted. :(

At 150yds it was way low and I did try a few at 200yds and the drop was every bit of 1+ yard low as predicted. So, as I suspected, a 40s&w carbine isn't my cup of tea, especially when my .357mag and .45 Colt carbines do so much better. :cry:

To round out the outing, I also took my Uberti Rifle in .45 Colt and my Mini M14 so I spent the rest of the day shooting my .357mag and 5.56 carbines and my .45 Colt rifle. All told, I made smoke and empty brass with about 300 rds of my favored calibers. The 40s&w was a bust and after only 35rds I packed that caliber in.

But, the whole experience of being out at the range virtually by myself was soul satisfying as I really thought that they'd find a way to keep the range closed until the Covid thing is resolved. Who knows, I may just go out again tomorrow afternoon. :)
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Trip Was a Blast!

Post by fordwannabe »

I was out Sunday with a buddy and again today after work for an hour and a half ALONE. I was using my Rossi with suppressor and only shooting at 25 and 50 but t still fun and Quiet. Shhh
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The 40 as we all know isn't a long range critter but that carbine should be fine as a back up yard rig. Coyotes and other critters will think twice after a 155 goes zipping through them. Don't relegate it to the back of the safe!
Pack the court!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fun to get out and shoot after a layoff. I really enjoyed function testing the Spencer carbine last Sunday, shooting paper at 25 yards and plinking at the steel buffalo at 200 (without much luck).
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I feel for you guys. My range never closed and it was my sanctuary while my favorite state range was closed. I only shoot skeet at the state range but we had a group that shot every Wednesday and I really missed it. My rifle range (St Louis Benchrest Club) has limited clay bird facilities and bringing guests is limited.

But the club pretty much kept to their match schedule and even hosted a regional Big Bore Silhouette match that was very well attended. We had shooters from all over the midwest, Texas, and even a couple from Washington state and Mexico. I've been shooting the rimfire and pistol cartridge levergun silhouette and will shoot big bore levergun silhouette too but we only have a couple of those matches after the bolt gun guys get done.

I also have the option to go to my youngest brother's place 100 miles away. He has 300 yards from his back porch with steel swingers out to 150 yds.

Now if I can just get my act together with my .45 Colt Rossi carbine. The .453 bore was killing me, and then I had trouble getting the windage right with the Lyman tang sight. Worked all that out now the challenge is holding steady with a light gun that feels more like a BB gun. And of course 69 year old eyes.

Post by Leverluver »

Steve
Where is the range you go to? I have a friend in Lakewood that complains there is nowhere to go. When I still lived there I belonged to the Coors gun club; the old one north of Golden but not only the club but even the memory of it are long gone.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Leverluvr, I'm pretty sure I went to that range back in 1980 or 1981 with a neighbor who worked in the bottling area. Golden is just up the road about 12 miles from me.

Unfortunately for your friend, it's a private range. It's on the property of a Defense Contractor and you have to be either an employee, retiree, or badged contractor to apply for a membership. That's why they closed it for about 5 weeks during the height of the dry spell and the concern over Covid, our board had to go to Corporate Headquarters to get it reopened.

Our board was able to demonstrate that the range is actually a safer place vs the buildings on the facility when it comes to Covid as the club instituted a mandatory mask policy except when actually shooting at the line, the shooting stations are 8 ft apart and setup for a single shooter, and it's outside far away from any other facilities with it's own separate road into the area. So, as I said before, we've been practicing 'Social Distancing' at the range since 1956. :D

While we have a 200/300 yd set of 10 stations, a 'Running Deer' set of 2 stations for meets, a 100 yd set of 12 stations, a pistol 'house' with 8 stations, and 2 shotgun ranges, yesterday I was the only one on the 200/300 range at all. There was also a single person at the 100yd range. That's not uncommon as the only time there's a crowd during the week is during a match and they've limited participation in them to keep distances acceptable.
Steve

"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
Leverluver
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Leverluver »

Wow, that sounds like a great club...cherish it. Back in the late 60s it was a short trip up 6 canyon and there was a pullout that everyone shot at, right up until some dimwit was shooting at a rock with tracer or incendiary and set the mountain backstop on fire. And we did do some shooting probably in your front yard 20 years before your yard existed. I think Coors moved east but for a guy in Golden and the traffic, it would be like going shooting in Kansas. And WY was calling. Enjoy that great shooting spot.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Back some 40 years ago when I first moved here my valley was an old, unused cow pasture. I'd ride my motorcycle up in it and have been know to do a bit of plinking in it myself back then. Now it's a designated wildlife sanctuary with eagle nests and all the ground based critters in the area.

A neighbor with a Ring doorbell system on the front and a camera on his walk out porch has videos of a bear from 4 days ago on his front porch and 3 days ago on his back deck. He's two doors down and 2 days ago our next door neighbor got a visit from the bear on her front porch. Last night . . . who knows.

Besides bear, we've had visits from Lynx, Bobcat, Coyote, and Red Fox in our yards. It's common to have 5-10 deer in our back yard and the elk are always hanging around during rutt. Some 20 yrs ago, I found a cat paw track in the snow in our back yard, however, the paw print was about 7" across!!

I started calling our domesticated cat, "hors d'oeuvre' after that and the kids hated that nickname. We didn't let him out after dinner when it was dark as the kids would have been devastated if he got taken.
Steve