Winchester 94 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ginger3030
Levergunner

Winchester 94 30-30

Post by Ginger3030 »

I just traded for a early 80s model 94 winchester 30-30. Im have trouble decocking it. I have to squeeze the lever really hard to get it to decock. Is this normal? This is my first Winchester, all my others are Marlins. Is there a easy way to fix this issue?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 30-30

Post by Booger Bill »

No, it isn't normal. I have a 94 I bought new in 1956 plus a model 64 like new also made in the early 1950`s. I handled a couple post 1964`s and haven't seen the problem. I suspect it needs looking at if you cant live with it. Evidently it isn't locking up tight enough to compress that whatchamacallit tooth that hangs down to where the lever pushes it up when closed.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

why squeeze the lever to uncock? just hold the hammer back, squeeze THE TRIGGER, and let the hammer go forward slowly.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Was I reading this wrong? I assumed he first tried lowering the hammer like Grizz described. Was he trying to drop the hammer by squeezing the lever extra hard after the lever was already closed?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I've owned two 94's of 1980's vintage and both required the lever be firmly squeezed to activate the trigger. I eventually got used to it, but it took a while, and neither rifle became a favorite of mine because of this "feature".
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The 94's from the late 70's / early 80's had some issues with misaligned trigger return and lever lock springs. These springs need to be aligned so that they do not rub on the side of the channel of the lower tang.
Remove the stock, and look carefully at the springs. If they are misaligned simply realign them. It's not hard to do, although you might have to remove the lower tang to do so.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

J Miller wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:26 pm The 94's from the late 70's / early 80's had some issues with misaligned trigger return and lever lock springs. These springs need to be aligned so that they do not rub on the side of the channel of the lower tang.
Remove the stock, and look carefully at the springs. If they are misaligned simply realign them. It's not hard to do, although you might have to remove the lower tang to do so.

Joe
Bingo! I've run into this too. When I did the half cock FCG on my 44 trapper, the return spring dragged on the channel in the lower tang, making it stick.
I swapped it with a carbine from 68 and it fixed the trapper. Now the other one does it. Thanks for reminding me I have to fix it. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

COOL. I learned a heap about those critters, thanks.
Ginger3030
Levergunner

Post by Ginger3030 »

I can't decock it like normal. I have to squeeze that daylights of the lever while pulling the trigger and lowering the hamming.