What are you doing to get ready

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

What are you doing to get ready

Post by Pitchy »

I pray things get better but i`m thinking it isn`t, today we cleaned our number one get by tool the cook stove it will heat the home and can cook on it.
The other problem i`m looking at is water supply, we have generator that we can use to run the house well, it only takes about 3-4 minutes to fill the hot water tank witch we can get water from and flush the toilet so with some stored gas can operate for quite a while.
Other than that praise the Lord and pass the ammo. :)

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What are you doing to get ready

Post by Grizz »

that's a beauty . . . funny thing, grandparents "upgraded" as soon as they were on the grid. "now we're cookin' with gas" was the thing. but I know my two grandmas cooked on a stove just like yours, one on the farm and one in the mining camps. until they were on the grid... :)
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Grizz, we`ve had that stove for about 28 years and have heated the house all winter with it the issue with this one the fire box is small so ya have to get up a couple times a night to feed it when it`s -20 or more but what the heck beats freezing.
I`d prefer to be ready than not, lots of can food is another.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Smart thinking Lenn, I always have oil lamps and candles as well as my little log burner, it's small but I can heat up a can of beans if things go crazy... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have some Coleman things. Right now we are doing very little. I am looking for another job. Got laid off.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I will get 4 ton's of anthracite coal this year 3 for the furnace in the basement and 1 for the wood/coal stove up stairs. I have 1 more big tree to fell and get split up before it snows. generator when the power goes out. putting up a new 16x16 shed on the high side of the property , I had to shovel and dump 5 ton of gravel the last 2 days for the base ... :shock: .. :oops: .. where is the truck that hit me..... I still work 1 or 2 days as a meat cutter so the freezer is stocked. Like My Grandfather always said... "getting old isn't for the weak." ....Love that John Deer Pitchy , I grew up with a model 40 . sure wish I had it now.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for the replies fellers, another thing to think about is the freezer or refrigerator, winter freezer isn`t a issue but summer it will take a ice box.
It takes thought about how a grand parents got along.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have a manual well pump for water and been storing dry goods like beans rice and such in a small metal drum. Natural gas heating stove that doesn’t require electricity. Lots of kerosene lamps.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I envy those that have natural gas coming out of the ground, i`d have a old double flywheel engine running a generator for sure.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I could fill the page. Aside from havening from enough wood. but here some words from the old timers I heard as a Kid 65 years ago..... ice house, cutting ice , iceman , smoking meat , canning meat , coal oil lamps , wood kitchen ranges , parlor stoves , ......the other night I woke up in the middle of one of the "Alaska" survival shows . the guys on the show were fairly well skilled and had killed a Bull Moose... the temp was in the 40's and they had no cloth bags to put the meat in . they were worried about flies in the meat. so there they were with 6-7 hundreds lbs. of meat and no way to cool it or preserve it ..... :shock: It's a Tough Life.... and then how many people were able to get safe drinking water. ??? We are all spoiled little Kids today.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

One thing I always wanted is a proper root cellar.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I'm converting the back corner of our half burried garage into a cold room/cellar. Still needs some work to be ready to use but it will do nicely in place of the root cellar I'd rather have.
Buying extra dry and canned goods but that's my norm.
Going to trade some work for some firewood with a buddy of mine.
Water storage is my biggest concern. I can purify a lot but we're in the desert and currently living in town so no well or bodies of water anywhere near.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have an old drilled well that I can put a pump on and a small spring that makes enough for drinking and cooking. There is also a very large creek that most would call a river that has plenty of fish up to 50 pound catfish. The hole of water on my place is 18 feet deep and about 50 feet wide but there are riffles above and below that make getting a boat up or down difficult. We always keep salt, jar lids and rings for canning and I have a couple of 8 gallon crocks for curing pork. We have wild pigs now too but they have stuff we can catch so I may stay away from them. We can survive here but it will be a struggle, just as it was for our ancestors. I'm actually on the place where my Grandfather settled in 1882. You need a fuel reserve but don't forget lubricating oil. I keep a 55 gallon barrel that's never been opened.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great thoughts all, we do have a old root cellar that was here when we moved in.
We have lots of lakes close by to get ice and fish from but i`m wondering if it would be as dangerous as the gold miners bring out they`er catch.
If ya can get water from a well putting it in a bucket and freeze it then put it in a ice box in the house would work well in the winter for a refrigerator.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well I have one or two guns and maybe an handful of ammunition, but I'm not sure it fits the guns. There are some canned goods in the kitchen closet, haven't checked the expiration dates in years. For water I could use the toilet tanks. Since I don't have a tank type hot water heater I won't have that to rely on.

I do have a pretty good first aid kit and usually at least a quarter of tank in my truck.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Went solar this year (and paid for it) and have my own well with generators for backup and a 2500 gal above ground water tank. The house is heated with propane off a 500 gal tank that lasted all winter last year. Freezer is full of moose, salmon, and whitetail with enough other things for a large pantry. New Ham radio, LEO radios, and CB that has been tested with a few friends in the area for about a 30 mile circle with a decent short wave receiver and a few spools of wire if I decide to run long lines to receive. Extra fuel storage for all vehicles that is rotateded. New Night vision and thermal scopes. So I guess I can sit back and watch from the mountain hoping people don't get STUPID.
It is not the critic who counts
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ready? Is there a problem? Don't ask me, as I don't live anywhere near Portland ... :lol:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I grew up in earthquake country (So. CA) and stayed prepared with a min on 2 weeks food/water/misc. living supplies, and do so today with mebbe 4 weeks supply. I have a 3000 W generator (small I know, but enough for short term). I was on a "Response Team" at work and have 4 "emergency backpacks" in the house and in our cars. All that is good for a natural disaster, but for a bad times situation I have about 8,000 rounds for various "JIC" guns (Just In Case); 4 handguns in two calibers plus 2,000 rounds each, two "battle rifles" w/2,000 rounds each, a bunch of 38/357, some 12 ga, and a 5 gal bucket of bricks of 22 lr for my 10-22 and MkII. I don't think I'd "bug out" as the area around us would be way too popular for townies and folks for 50 miles around. But I'm looking for all this to be unused/not necessary, because I think His 2nd Coming has give us a perfect getaway plan... :D
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

because I think His 2nd Coming has give us a perfect getaway plan...
+1
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

A little off topic fellers, guess your planning on storing up for at least 7 years of the Tribulation then.
Not me i`m storing up for the birth pains leading up to the Rapture, too different events :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've got 4 or 5 cords of wood cut, split, and dried.

Kerosene tanks for the garage Monitor and house Monitor are full.

I have to do a little maintenance work on the house Monitor, but
other than that, all is ready.

At the dump this year, I picked up 3 different kerosene heaters.
All are close to new - I just need new igniters. Wicks are fine.

So, I'll be warm this year no matter what! :-)

Bought a little freezer for the garage, too.

-Stretch
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've already been through the Tribulation -- with the first wife and ensuing divorce ... :shock: :lol:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 am I've already been through the Tribulation -- with the first wife and ensuing divorce ... :shock: :lol:
A 1st wife? Are you allowed more than one? :twisted:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Todd I am blessed to be good friends with No. 2 ex ... 8)