Our Jazman Is A Cool Dude

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Our Jazman Is A Cool Dude

Post by Sixgun »

Ya know, every once in a while my socks get knocked off from a bolt of lightning......a bit ago, I was discussing Redwood tress with Old Savage and "The Gunny" over at the enlightened open-to-all never ending post, the "Gun Room".

Most people are enamored by these West Coast giants and I've never seen one but always secretly wishing I had one in the yard to brag about..(I like bragging....but you guys probably didn't know that. :D )

Our very own "Jazman" sends me a PM telling me I have something coming in the mail and affirmed it yesterday that it arrived via tracking....so today I jump out of bed, bright and early at 10:00 A.M.....jump in the mighty Jeep and cruise the 300 yards to the post office where my package was patiently waiting.

Open that baby up and low and behold, a California Redwood in excellent shape and about the size of the current Redwoods were when Jesus was born.....still expertly wrapped and moistened by Jazman.

As a fellow Sicilian (the crazy take-no-Pelosi Italians) Jazman included a bottle of home grown oregano....My 200% Italian wife looked at the bottle and said, "nice guy, he sent ya some weed too".....then she took another look at it, popped off the bottle cap and said, "this is REAL oregano, not the junk you buy in the store." 3 seconds later she's on the phone to her sister...yap...yap...yap....sometimes speaking Italian...yap....yap......I snuck away giving me time to do this post.....you ought to see them when all 6 sisters get together.....these are the kind of females they ought to let into combat zones....they be mean!

Anyway, I planted the tree in a pot using a mixture of dark soil and potting soil......anybody here know if I should take it inside during the winter months.....I really don't want to plant it until the spring...they are calling for a nasty winter.

THANK YOU JAZDUDE! I owe ya one..-----006

its in the pot, next to the mortar

Proposed planting spot....where the white PVC pipe is.....our white pines and hollys do well in this soil.

Don't this look like weed? :D at our age, I prefer oregano....

Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Our Jazman Is A Cool Dude

Post by OldWin »

Wow. That's pretty cool!
Bet you'll have the only redwood on your road. When you get a little older, it will give good shade. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:00 pm Wow. That's pretty cool!
Bet you'll have the only redwood on your road. When you get a little older, it will give good shade. :D
I hope so Jay...."a little older?"....Geeze, I'm 66....I might get to see it grow to the point where I can be a "shade tree gunsmith".----006

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:04 pm
OldWin wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:00 pm Wow. That's pretty cool!
I hope so Jay...."a little older?"....Geeze, I'm 66....I might get to see it grow to the point where I can be a "shade tree gunsmith".----006
Haha yeah. Had to throw that in there. What's another 12 or 1500 years? With your "clean livin'", should be no problem. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I’m glad you like it, Redwoods are great. They grow 6 to 8 feet a year, so if this one grows for you it will get tall fast, trust me, I know. It’s true Redwoods love their Coastal fog, so it may not take there, but it’s worth a shot!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's a healthy looking specimen Six, nice one Jazman.. :D
We had a Redwood tree come down in a storm a couple of years ago it wasn't a giant but they can grow in old England so they should grow in the Colonies too, hopefully.. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

They grow in this area, it should do fine.

Heck of a nice gesture! That makes you an honor member of TGR.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tanks gunman! I be's goody.--sax

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I went to high school in Arcata, California, the heart of the redwoods. I helped my Dad cruise old-growth timber owned by Simpson and Georgia Pacific in order to help determine a commercial value for the forest that would be bought by the federal government to become Redwoods National Park. An old-growth redwood forest is an oddly sterile and quiet place -- until one of the old, dying giants lets go in a series of rifle shots followed by a thunderous crash. It was a wonderful experience.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's nice Jazman do you grow your own oregano? I've had good luck with a few spices but never tried that one since we don't use much of it.

Sixgun I hope you live long enough for that tree to provide lots and lots of shade.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Rusty wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:48 am That's nice Jazman do you grow your own oregano? I've had good luck with a few spices but never tried that one since we don't use much of it.

Sixgun I hope you live long enough for that tree to provide lots and lots of shade.

Ahhhhh...wishful thinking on my part Rusty. I'm 66 and about the end of my useful life. Although the doc tells me I'm in excellent health, the numbers prove otherwise......I'm getting to be one of the "older guys" at the gunclub.

Wish I knew this stuff when I was 20.....I'd have the yard full of Redwoods.....I love everything nature...except people. :D ----006

jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I do grow it, very gratifying plant. I’ve had this one for years, and it’s the best tasting Oregano plant I’ve had. Got lucky, I can’t remember which type I planted, but it’s very good. My wife doesn’t like Oregano much, but she likes this plant’s product. All I do is water it, and cut stems off when I want to dry a batch. Put it in the sun for a day or two, strip the leaf off the stems, and bottle it up. We use it a lot and I give bottles away to family and friends.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

jazman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:09 pm I do grow it, very gratifying plant. I’ve had this one for years, and it’s the best tasting Oregano plant I’ve had. Got lucky, I can’t remember which type I planted, but it’s very good. My wife doesn’t like Oregano much, but she likes this plant’s product. All I do is water it, and cut stems off when I want to dry a batch. Put it in the sun for a day or two, strip the leaf off the stems, and bottle it up. We use it a lot and I give bottles away to family and friends.
Jazman....sometimes a person does not realize the resulting impact of their deeds......let's take an example....your oregano. We live a very simple life here.....Einstein said that...forget it, my mind is wandering........anyway, as I said yesterday my wife was yapping away with her sisters.....when I say there is no better spaghetti/macaroni sauce/salad dressing/whatever in the world I mean it....I'd bet my finest 1886 on that claim........we now have a new ingredient that will enhance an already excellent product.....as I write this her one sister is outside with my wife at the table smelling your oregano and discussing its merits...(I'm assuming that's what the conversation is about) I stay very far away when such talks are going on.

And on the sapling I have to keep it from freezing.....found a pretty good article on that. What is everyday talk where you live is exotic here.....I'll be the first guy on the street with a redwood tree.---thanks Jim--------006 (secret agent man)

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/growing-r ... 74893.html

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Two very cool and thoughtful gifts. In a few years you'll give some unsuspecting forester driving by your house whiplash when he sees that redwood!

Eric
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I bought one of them Dawn Redwoods you see in the seed catalogs about ten years ago. It’s probably 35-40 foot tall now. Supposed to one of the oldest living species on earth. They claim 80 million years.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Marvin S wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:16 pm I bought one of them Dawn Redwoods you see in the seed catalogs about ten years ago. It’s probably 35-40 foot tall now. Supposed to one of the oldest living species on earth. They claim 80 million years.
That's cool Marvin......I see you live in Kansas so I take it they can survive the winter.......I'd like to see a picture of that tree if you ever get a chance. Thanks---006

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I think it was rated for zone 5-8. Trunk tapers really fast but they claim it’s supposed to look more like the sequoia variety as it ages. Life span is supposed to be around 600 years.

If you click or tap pictures they should expand and right there self’s. The tree isn’t a pest magnet either. I think it’s maybe up to 50 foot tall now that I take another look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I would love to have Redwood trees on my property. Don't think they would survive here though.
Unfortunately, when visiting a cousin in northern California, my wife discovered that she was allergic to Redwood. She can stand a day around them, but after two or three days, she starts breaking out. Once we got about 3 hours East, away from the area, the symptoms started easing.

Great gesture Jazman, kudos to you
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Marvin S wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:08 am I think it was rated for zone 5-8. Trunk tapers really fast but they claim it’s supposed to look more like the sequoia variety as it ages. Life span is supposed to be around 600 years.
If you click or tap pictures they should expand and right there self’s. The tree isn’t a pest magnet either. I think it’s maybe up to 50 foot tall now that I take another look.
Thanks Marvin! It's funny how people like me, who have never seen a redwood have these preconceived mental images of a young redwood that's 100 ft.tall with a bushy top and the rest all trunk. Duhhhh..it takes a hundred years or more to look like that. My wife even said that telling me not to plant it where I said I was going to plant it.

Other than the front road there's only one spot where people can spy on us...(you know, nosy people) its about a 15' section that needs to be blocked out so I suggested I plant the tree in that spot...she said "no, Redwoods are all trunk". I tried to explain that probably in their first 30-50 years they will look like any other evergreen and will do a great job at blocking her sister from peeking over. :D ----006

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:14 pm
Marvin S wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:08 am I think it was rated for zone 5-8. Trunk tapers really fast but they claim it’s supposed to look more like the sequoia variety as it ages. Life span is supposed to be around 600 years.
Thanks Marvin! It's funny how people like me, who have never seen a redwood have these preconceived mental images of a young redwood that's 100 ft.tall with a bushy top and the rest all trunk. Duhhhh..it takes a hundred years or more to look like that. My wife even said that telling me not to plant it where I said I was going to plant it.

Other than the front road there's only one spot where people can spy on us...(you know, nosy people) its about a 15' section that needs to be blocked out so I suggested I plant the tree in that spot...she said "no, Redwoods are all trunk". I tried to explain that probably in their first 30-50 years they will look like any other evergreen and will do a great job at blocking her sister from peeking over. :D ----006
That’s right Six. Mine is a nice looking tree with nothing really to complain about. It doesn’t poke you when mowing or lose limbs every time the wind blows I suppose you could try to bonsai it :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I grew up about 20 miles from the Big Basin Redwood state park.

Here's some info on growing them.

https://arboretum.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/f ... bits_0.pdf

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Dawn Redwoods are awesome. A buddy has a huge one, I remember first time I saw it in the fall when it was turning colors and dropping its leaves/needles I told him it was dying. He laughed at me, deservedly. Only evergreen I (now) know that looses everything, I didn’t see that coming! Went from bare to beautiful again very fast, so cool.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Learned a few things from this post! You didnt happen to include a few Banana Slugs when you sent t.he tree to him? I let them slide across my hands a few times, the slime took 3 days to wear off. Todd

Sixgun, Are you gonna keep it inside this winter?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Believe I said this earlier......as a semi old guy we tend to look back on our lives and I can say honestly, I have no serious regrets, other than not getting a solid trade as I had to kiss A many times to keep my job.

A minor regret is not planting Redwoods .....S, I'm 66.

I'm probably going to buy a half dozen small trees, say 3-4' tall and do the best in mulching, fertilizing , and watering.

Yes...turtledude, I'm concerned about this sapling.....the website that specializes in these trees says to put it in a "cold frame" and Gunny, over at the "Gun Room" told me pretty much the same thing...don't let it freeze but keep it out of the upper part of the house where it will dry up to a crisp. A "cold frame" is nothing more than a small greenhouse but it will still freeze at nighttime.....kind of still up in the air about this one...I'd be willing to hear suggestions, even if it means constant care throughout the winter...hell, I'm retired and have all the time in the world.

You guys who live out there are probably laughing...seeing these trees like I see grass.....the world famous "Longwood Gardens" is about 8 miles down the road where you can see any tree known to man....they have giant conservatories with banana trees, etc. I need to broaden my knowledge on such matters.....been playing with antique Winchesters and Colts too long and it's time to "pass the torch" on such matters.---006

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Six, a few years ago I had a cold frame and during really cold weather I put newspapers over the glass, nowadays I hear bubble wrap works well. Keeping it there in windy weather can be a problem.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sixer get yourself down there to Longwood Gardens and pick their brains! No better place to gather info than a place that specializes!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!