From a black Democrat no less...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

From a black Democrat no less...

Post by CowboyTutt »

One of the most inspired and passionate speeches I have ever seen in my adult life ever! Please pass this on to your friends and peers. He's a black Democrat no less, but he summed up what it is to be a human being and is truly a student of MLK. God Bless and Love this Man, and protect him always!!!! It's really just required watching and epic!!!!! Thanks for your consideration!!! Move it to where it needs to be, OK with me. It's truly epic, I hope you take the time to watch it, and pass it on! Thanks Brothers!

https://twitter.com/mrctv/status/1297707698788728832

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: From a black Democrat no less...

Post by BenT »

Excellent. If people would listen to MLK I have a dream speech. It has to do with the absence of color. But the last 10 years has been about our color is special.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A very sincere gentleman, I only hope that those who NEED to hear that speech do so and take heed.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Terrific speech - thanks for sharing!

Integrity, courage, class, intelligence - all of those are things that makes a society great.

American society has largely lost it's way.

Unfortunately, those that need most to hear this won't.

If you're looting stores and burning down city blocks, you'll
get a message across. Is it the one you want to get across?

-Stretch
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Imagine that! A black Democrat who is also an honorable, sensible, right-thinking human being! Who'd'a thunk it??? :roll:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

DANG! I know I listen more when people present their concerns and issues in a respectful way than when they act nutty. I would sit down and have a conversation with him any day. The. Screaming,looting, racist(all whites are the problem IS racist) I ain’t listening until you act like a man(or woman).
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I was just reviewing this thread and realized that Ben T's comment really summed it up well for me.
Excellent. If people would listen to MLK I have a dream speech. It has to do with the absence of color. But the last 10 years has been about our color is special.
What is not being said is that when you resist arrest, nothing good is ever going to come out of that. If I resist arrest, its not going to matter that I'm white, black, pick your color. They are going to subdue me too. Personally I think it had just as much to do with their own actions during the fracas, and not some predisposition of the police.

True story:

I was stopped on Hwy 50 in Nevada east of Reno by a CHP many years ago. It was cold and windy outside. I got out of my vehicle with my hands exposed while the officer was hiding behind his car door talking to me. At one point, I put my hands into my pockets just to stay warmer as the wind was blowing pretty hard and it was cold. He immediately warned me to take my hands out of my pockets which I did. I had no intent of harm, and was unarmed, but this moment in time I will always remember. He was actually a really nice gentleman whose name and badge number I do not even know. But I got good 'vibes" off of him. He was cautious, smart, and kind. But by putting my hands in my pockets, I scared him.

Compare that to the behavior of those killed who resisted arrest and had disdain for police authority. Not a good "wellness plan".

That being said, I have been a Pro-Act teacher for my school district for 3 years now. It recently expired as we could not teach and meet teaching requirements under the pandemic. We teach how to de-escalate situations and as a very, very, last resort, use physical restraints. Pro-Act is used by hospitals and school districts all over the country. My district, like many others, do not even use a face down restraint for the very reason that Floyd suffocated. Its simply the most dangerous restraint you could ever use. The historical documentation of this is provided to me through my previous training with Pro-Act.

I do think that police could use additional retraining, but that costs money, and is the opposite of what "defunding police" would ever accomplish.

Here's a good summary of what they teach.

https://proacttraining.com/about/pro-ac ... restraint.

That being said, some of it would not apply to police training as there are those who simply pull a gun, reach for a knife, and are anti-social deviants. Those people get what they deserve. But I do think certain elements of Pro-Act could be applied to police training in using safer and better restraints. Pro-Act teaches that you need a 2-1 advantage in weight and height to restrain someone. This is accomplished by having multiple people trained in restraint present which could be the case with police as there are often multiple police officers present. Proper restraints are always done with a constant eye towards safety of the individual being restrained. I don't think this was the case with Floyd. A restraint is never done by one person except in a total, total emergency when someone is going to harm themselves or others, and the harm is immediate, grave and imminent. Even then, it is very risky.

I don't support what the rioters are doing and MLK would be appalled. As Ben T put it, MLK was about the "absence of color" and as the honorable Democratic state Rep. John Deberry Jr. said, MLK and the people of that time did what they did by "courage, integrity and class". They did it by force of character, not color of their skin. What is happening now is not about character. But I do think there is some room for improvement in the use of restraints that are not so risky. And I do think some additional training would help.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of truth in these posts.

"...Pro-Act teaches that you need a 2-1 advantage in weight and height to restrain someone...."

At least that. If drugs are involved it can get way worse; I saw a dude high on PCP fight off four VA Hospital security guards for quite awhile before they subdued him.

Even with little kids getting vaccinations - if the 50-pound kid is in a frenzy, we usually get three adults before we try to give a shot, lest we hurt the kid during the struggle. That is usually closer to ten to one weight ratio...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, totally agree with you!!!! Minimum ratio should be 2-1 at least! Thing is, people could actually figure this out if they tried. They just need to dedicate some time to it.

I'm no doctor, but I happen to know at least one....Maybe more. God Bless Doc.

-Tutt