On the topic of suppressors

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

On the topic of suppressors

Post by 4t5 »

can I buy a suppressor for my largest caliber, and successfully use it on smaller calibers? In other words will a .22 be as silent in a .44 suppressor as a .22 suppressor? I would like to buy one and use it for many.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: On the topic of suppressors

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've got one for 22 LR , I have a 30 cal that I use on anything centerfire 30 and under then a I have a third for the 338 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

6pt, from your experience, would a 44 cal suppressor silence a 22 adequately, thanks for your reply.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I have shot a 6.5 thru a 35 cal can and worked well and shot a 9mm thru a 45 can, same result. A 22 thru a 44 should work, just not quite as well as a 22 can would.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

THANKS GUYS!, what brand are you using?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A larger caliber suppressor will dampen the sound but not t WILL NOT be as quiet as the proper can for caliber. I have a 22 can and a Silencerco Hybrid. The tube but s the registered part of a can so this can has threaded ends n both ends. You can use different thread so zes for different calibers and the now muzzle end has interchangeable caps for each caliber. I do use my 35 caliber with my .338 but I am shooting supersonic ammo so it’s only gonna muffle sound at best. Remember you gotta shoot subsonic ammo for the gun with suppressor to be quiet.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

4t5 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:12 pm 6pt, from your experience, would a 44 cal suppressor silence a 22 adequately, thanks for your reply.
To be honest I’ve never messed with one bored out enough for a 45 cal . I still say these counter weights don’t silence as much of the noise as one would assume before they try .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As to the subsonic aspect . I worked up loads for about a half dozen 308’s and a 223 . Temperature can affect your SS loads enough to make them borderline sonic . I tried to keep my loads at about 925-975 FPS but if at the range and the temps were up you’ll get sonic cracks . In the woods hunting in a bowl with leaves on the trees I shot a couple deer and the sub sonic loads in that relatively closed (because of the bowl shaped area and the foliage) in area the subsonic loads were I thought loud with the can on .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MY recommendation (from a cheapskate with lots of guns I want to suppress), here's what I'd advise:

1. for your first (or 'only') suppressor - a LibertyCans 'MysticX' or 'InfinitiX' - they will quiet anything from 357/9mm caliber on down pretty well. Lightweight, and capable of handling up to 300 Win Mag pressure levels, yet able to be taken apart and cleaned if you use for 22 LR or cast/lubed levergun cartridges that are 'dirty'.

2. if you want a dedicated 223/5.56 can (the Mystic will work fine), get a GemTek 'Trek' - it is 'sealed' so can't be easily cleaned, but you can use it for full-auto 223/5.56 without concerns, and 22 LR may get it 'dirty' but it can still be cleaned.

3. if you want a 22 LR rifle that is 'spooky quiet', although the Mystic is good, a dedicated 22 LR can will be better, and an 'integral can' is even better. Get the Thompson Machine and Tool 'Operative' and put in on your Ruger 10/22, or if you don't like the 'action cycling' noise put it on a Ruger 96/22 levergun (hand-file the extra extractor cut - takes about 5 minutes). The gun will be SILENT.

4. if you really want to suppress stuff over .357 caliber, I'd get a separate 'can' for 45 or 50 caliber, because although a 357 caliber can will suppress 22 caliber well, a 45-50 caliber can won't do much for stuff under357 caliber. In that case look at LibertyCans 45-50 caliber suppressors.

Bottom Line - if you just want one 'can' to do everything under .357 diameter, and capable of handling VERY high pressure cartridges, PLUS be able to be taken apart and cleaned - go to LibertyCans and get a MysticX or InfinitiX.

I bought my Mystic ten years ago or so, but recently had the 'core' upgraded to InfinitiX specs, and the lighter-weight titanium is amazing - barely can tell it is there, even on a Ruger Mk3/45 or Glock 9mm, much less on ANY rifle.

I use it the most on my Marlin 1894 CSX 357 Mag. It makes the gun sound like a 26" barreled 22 LR shooting standard velocity rounds.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "