Dupont No.1 Smokeless Rifle Powder (Load Data "Wrapper")

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Dupont No.1 Smokeless Rifle Powder (Load Data "Wrapper")

Post by Bryan Austin »

As many if not all of you know, Dupont No.1 came out in 1894. One popular cartridge it was used in as we know it today was the 45-70. This powder was packed in a round RED keg looking much like a medium sized can of beans. Years ago I became familiar with such powders when recently (past recent years) I began to search for Dupont No.2 items. On the bottom of both cans one can see "READ INSTRUCTIONS ON WRAPPER". Has anyone ever seen of of these "wrappers".

I think I just found one and the forum is dated 1899, date of actual circulation is unknown to me. On the outside in large bold letters states the type powder. On the underside is the load data followed by the powder suggested for other calibers. I will let the photos do the rest of the talking. If anyone ever see one of these for Dupont No.2, I am willing to trade ;-)

My replica I made wrapped around a keg

I have posted more photos on the 44-40 website here:

https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/powders/smokeless-powders-transition-years
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Dupont No.1 Smokeless Rifle Powder (Load Data "Wrapper")

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Bryan...I thought I had some #1.....looked all through my stash...found a half pound of Rifle Lite that was made from '96-03 .......Sharpshooter..2 pounds of Lightning...

Yea...looks like you have the same disease I have....---6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow !!!! this is the stuff We dream about.................................I can only Wish that John kort would have still been here to add to the post. Thanks Bryan.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

.45colt wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:13 pm Wow !!!! this is the stuff We dream about.................................I can only Wish that John kort would have still been here to add to the post. Thanks Bryan.
Me too......John gave me his entire collection of old powders and made me promise to use it and experiment with. . John was a very special fellow and one that I sorely miss.-----006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Thanks for that picture Bryan -- very interesting. That would be quite the useful powder to have around for us folks who shoot the old ones. Must have been similar burning rate to the good old SR 4759 that we no longer have available, but a bit bulkier yet.

TrailBoss is quite a lot bulkier than that #1 must have been, and has a much faster burn rate. I wonder if it is close to the Dupont #2?

Anyway, I hope somebody comes up with the #2 wrapper for our interest and entertainment.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Spiffy! Powder from the heyday of the single shot rifle, with load data for the .25-25, .25-21, and .25-20 SS.