Rossi Rio Bravo 22lr

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Rossi Rio Bravo 22lr

Post by 44shooter »

Does anyone know if the new Rossi Rio Bravo is a copy of an existing design or an original?. Rossi claims it is based on a 92 but it looks more like a Erma or 9422 to me
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Rossi Rio Bravo 22lr

Post by J Miller »

Looks like a copy of the old Erma to me. With the addition of a cross bolt safety in an awkward location.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I once had the Erma Leveraction .22 and that Rossi does look very similar, except for the silly safety. The Erma was a good gun though.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Erma Model EG712
erma.jpg
Ithaca Model 72
ithaca.jpg
Henry H001
henry.JPG
Rossi Rio Bravo
rossi.jpg
Erma Werke in Germany was a large firearms manufacturer in WWII. After the war they designed and produced sporting arms including the EG71 "Wagonmaster" lever action .22 rimfire rifle. From 1973 to1978 Ithaca Gun Company began importing the Erma .22 lever action and called it the Model 72. Erma also imported the same rifle through the 1990's but called it the Model EG-712. In 1998 Erma went bankrupt.

Ithaca 72
Ithaca_72LeverAction_schem.jpg
Henry H001
HenryRepeatingArms_SeriesH001_schem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

45 years ago I knew a very fine lady who kept a Ithaca 72 loaded over her door. One day a woodchuck was in her garden and she shot him 3 times through the chest with great speed. That made an impression!
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

My parents bought me a Ithaca 72 in the mid-late 70's from the local hardware store for $80 if I remember right. I think they had stopped making them and the guy at the hardware store told Dad he would sell it to him for cost. I still have it. I put thousands of rounds threw it as a kid. In my hands I never thought it was super accurate but fun to shoot. I have not shot it in 20 years but I will own it forever.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I thought so. Interesting that it is stocked in “German beechwood” being from a company with easy access to Amazon timber. It looks neat though and at a good price. I’ve never had a lever 22 but I had always liked them. The safety is stupid but it seems almost universal now.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

I can't speak to its design. I will say that based on my experiences with three R92s, I would be willing to risk a Rossi Rio Bravo 22lr if the price was right.

As to the wood, I find their "German beech wood" claim highly dubious. It may be beech; the far south around Santa Cruz do Sul might support such trees, and it may be German, to the the extent that that part of the country was heavily settled by Germans, but that's as close to German beech wood as it's likely to be of not Amazon Rainforest Mystery Wood.