Lyman molds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Lyman molds

Post by hondo1892 »

I'm really confused. I'm guessing the guy that I talked to in customer service doesn't know much about bullet casting and Lyman's bullet line styles. I had two molds that cast boolits to small. One was a 429421 and a 358477. I contacted Lyman and they said they could recut my molds to a larger size. I sent in my molds and after about a month they call me and tell me that they can't recut my molds. The guy on the phone tells me that Lyman doesn't make these style of bullets any longer so they can't do the recut. So he gives me the option of picking different molds or a refund. I ask if they had the same style of bullet(I'm thinking swc) he says no. So I take the refund and figure I'll get a couple of Arsenal molds in the same calibers and styles of the Lyman molds. After hanging up with customer service I check out Midsouth reloading and find that they do still make the same boolits they just changed the shape of the nose on one and the crimp groove on the other. But they are still the same style of bullets. The guy did not say they changed a few things on the old bullets he just said we no longer make those styles of boolits any longer. So I thought he mint they dropped the 429421 and 358477 boolits from their line. How would you guys have understood that remark? Just as well. I've been wanting to try out some molds from Arsenal molds and now I can tell the boss that Lyman is paying for them.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lyman molds

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Lyman aint been the same since the late 90's. Saeco makes nice molds. NOE has some great molds and customer service too. Erik at Hollow Point Molds could have enlarged the molds for you too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Todd if Lyman sends me a check for my two I'm going to try a couple of Arsenals. I've been wanting to try some Arsenals but my piggy bank has been a bit empty as of late. I like Seaco molds but I surely can't afford them right now.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Yep, guys over on Cast Boolits speak pretty highly of Arsenal. I really want a true Keith version of a 255gr SWC for my 45 Colt. But o have too get another Lever in it before I order a mold. Things would have been alot simpler if I had bought only .44's back in the 80's.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!