Images of a Flintlock Firing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Images of a Flintlock Firing

Post by Old No7 »

I think I may have posted these years ago, but anyway, I figured some of you guys who shoot the modern case-loaded primer-ignited ammo would enjoy seeing this sequence of still images (taken from the video) of a flintlock being fired.

By the way, sharp-eyed shooters would probably spot that it's a right-handed flintlock -- being shot by a lefty. That's my twin brother, and he's used to it that way; but he now has a couple of custom left-handed locks in this flintlock collection.

You think the FLASH is close to your eyes if you're a righty? It's even closer if you shoot it lefty! :shock:

Cheers.

Old No7

( Click on any image to enlarge it )
Flintlock firing 01.jpg
Flintlock firing 02.jpg
Flintlock firing 03.jpg
Flintlock firing 04.jpg
Flintlock firing 05.jpg
Flintlock firing 06.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Images of a Flintlock Firing

Post by GunnyMack »

Great series of photos! Nothing like black powder ignition!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

is the ignition hole cleaned when the charge discharges? it seems like a very high pressure would exist on that hole while the bullet is starting to move... curious...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That could affect your night vision.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great images, always satisfying to experience the flash after a series of Clicks but no Sparks..... :wink: one of the fascinating aspects of flintlock shooting is getting perfect ignition every time.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
farmer76
Levergunner

Post by farmer76 »

Very cool series of pictures!

Attached a picture I took a few years back of my 1858 Uberti on firing. Was a 2 second exposure with the flash set to trip on the shutter opening to expose the gun properly. (Hence why the hammer is still in the cocked position!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:24 am That could affect your night vision.
Ya gotta use special night-vision goggles set up for flintlocks.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

farmer76 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:52 am Very cool series of pictures!

Attached a picture I took a few years back of my 1858 Uberti on firing. Was a 2 second exposure with the flash set to trip on the shutter opening to expose the gun properly. (Hence why the hammer is still in the cocked position!)
Thanks for the explanation, I would have wondered how that happened. 8) and welcome to the fire... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Yes there is a lot of fire and force coming out the vent hole. If you are in battle reenactments they make participants use flash guards to keep from burning the guy next to you.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

hondo1892 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:11 pm Yes there is a lot of fire and force coming out the vent hole. If you are in battle reenactments they make participants use flash guards to keep from burning the guy next to you.
A good example of that in the movie The Mountain Men, Charlton Heston burns Brian Keith's ear with a flintlock whilst shooting next to him.
258737_full-300x213.jpg