Firewood and Firearms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Firewood and Firearms

Post by BenT »

Last Mohecken topic about cutting firewood brouht this to mind. I cut a lot of firewood as supplimental heat in the winter. I spend a lot of time in the woods Spring and Fall cutting wood. I found out years ago that if I don't have a firearm on me that is when a I see coyotes or skunks that need to be taken care of. So cutting firewood or taking a walk in the woods I always carry a firearm. In fact when the wife ask me go take a walk I will go grab a gun and she will give me a look at me say " Am I coming back from this walk?" :D

I used to carry a Single Six in 32 H&R a lot when cutting wood. Then I put a rifle rack on the front of the 4 wheeler. Depending on the mood it carries a Marlin 94 in 32 WCF, Henry big boy in 327 Fed. I have also carried a Rossi in 357 until I gave it to my BIL because I no longer have a handgun in that caliber but he does. So it just seem to more at home with him. Lately I bought a plastic gun so I don't care if it gets scratched. I bought a Ruger PC Carbine that I started using last fall. I can hit a 8 inch plate at 100 yards with it so it will be good enough in the woods. What is your Firewood Firearm?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Firewood and Firearms

Post by Grizz »

when I heated my home in Alaska I had a ruger redhawk 44 with 325gr cast, later 405gr cast. And a Marlin Guide Gun 45/70 with 525gr hard cast. And a 12ga in the skiff.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Chopping firewood is something that I enjoy doing especially if I can do a bit of shooting too.
Where I live there is no fear of predators or anything else much but I do like to have shotgun for vermin and such, now that I have lightened (by hacking off the barrel) my $32.50 Cooey single shot 12 gauge, it makes a good knockabout gun for the woods. I used to take my 32" Stevens 16 gauge with a .410 adapter because it was versatile but hardly a brush gun.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

If just out for a walk i carry my Marlin Cowboy 45-70, cutting wood i carry a XDs 45 acp. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I haven't had to cut firewood in decades. But as a kid we had a cabin at Big Bear Lake. When I got old enough that became my job. So this was in the 60's and "the lake" was still fairly sparsely populated. Dad always insisted I have a gun along. I think he was more worried about two legged critters than four. Back then it was my current Jeep gun in factory trim. A Mossberg .410 model 500.

These days when I go to the mountains or more often the desert I always have a handgun and a long gun. It varies on my mood as to what I have along. But as I've aged and become nostalgic I find that same .410 coming along no matter what I take.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BenT wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:39 amDepending on the mood it carries a Marlin 94 in 32 WCF, Henry big boy in 327 Fed.
I've used mostly my 16" Rossi in 357 mag for such purposes, or if a handgun, it depends (AMT 1911 if I'm gonna get all gritty and dirty, or a 357 Mag Blackhawk or Vaquero if not).

I've been trying to 'warm up' to my Henry 327, but the accuracy with Buffalo Bore 130 grainers I'd hoped to emulate someday with reloads is TERRIBLE (4" at 25 yards). Some Federal factory loads that are much lighter are still only 1.5" at 25 yards - hardly anything impressive.

Do you get better accuracy with your Henry, and if so, what loads...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I either carry my 20" barreled .410 T-C G2 Contender Carbine (barrel by MGM of Utah), or a 1955 Ruger Standard Model .22 auto, or both. I mainly worry about vandals and snakes. However, I've never really had any reason to shoot either gun in many years of wood cutting. The wackos leave an armed man alone and I've just learned to walk around the rattlers. They're just not interested in people, can't swallow 'em!

I've seen tracks where a lion come up and sniffed around the parking spot, but never saw the cat. So I was glad I had my .410 stuffed with Win 000 buck hanging over my shoulder.

YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE the cost of firewood in suburban SoCal, especially considering that many suburbs and towns ban burning it! Since I've lived here I put up a cord of small split live oak and madrona each year, and usually trade most of it for yellowtail and tuna filets with my neighbor who is a big-time sport fisherman.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

In the 50s my GM and GP lived in Big Bear. Was the bowling alley and soda fountain still a feature? I fished in the lake with my Dad and GranDad. So we actually crossed paths, sorta. LOL
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

For the past decade I have had a nifty place to hunt where I throw a morning elk hunt and if I don't see anything of note (which is usually the case) I spend a few hours cutting a partial load of firewood. Yes, I know that a fellow should be able to cut a full load in a few hours but this is the wily juniper tree and you do lots more limbing than you do cutting chunks, so I feel quite happy if I get anything past half a cord with my afternoon cutting. Then my pard Butch who has done the same thing I did (except he always makes more wood than I do) and I break out the lawn chairs and the beer and the peanuts and contemplate the world. So my firewood gun is whichever rifle I have drug along in the hopes of popping a lady elk (this is a cow elk hunt area). Frequently my m99 Savage 260 Remington but I sometimes carry one of the old goodies such as Rem 14 or Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. I think I posted pics here a few years ago of one I shot with the 35 Rem pump.

Now this year I anticipate bettering my pardner's wood output because I have discovered this nifty thing called a "lite bar" (no, not lite beer -- I avoid that stuff unless it is offered free). They make these chainsaw bars that they've whittled out the center portion of the steel bar and replaced it with aluminum. And they are quite a lot lighter -- I now have a 32" bar that is a full pound lighter than my old 28" steel bar. And that lightness out at the far reaches is sure to make me into a "limbing machine" this year, don't you think?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I use a pellet stove. Not enough wood around here.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I had not heard of the lite bar. Go get 'em, tiger!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I don't keep a gun on my person when cutting firewood, because I just don't want anything extra to tote around, and I am not in country where the risk is very high of needing protection but just in case I see a coyote, armadillo, or something, I always keep at least currently, my Kel-tec PMR 30, .22 mag pistol in a hidden compartment in my side by side. Later in the fall, I would probably add a long gun of some flavor, which might change according to my whims, Probably a 30/30 Winchester, or AR-15.
NRA Life Member, Patron
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Be careful around those Armadillos. They have been known to attack things many times their size. I have seen the results when they attack a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford. What a mess. It doesn't do the vehicle much good either. I would hunt them with nothing less than a 4 liter. Maybe a 4X4.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost