Tasco copy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Tasco copy

Post by marlinman93 »

Many decades ago I owned a Bausch & Lomb Balvar target scope. It was used when I bought it, but NIB appearing. A gorgeous target scope, with unique features. But it was a bit heavy for anything but bench rest shooting. I sold it after awhile, and not long after I stumbled across another, but it turned out to be a Tasco copy of the B&L Balvar Target. It was cheap, so bought it, and had it on a varmint rifle for years. A very nice scope, and quality was equal to many much higher priced target scopes. I eventually sold the rifle to a friend, and he wanted the scope too, so I grudgingly let it go.
The other day I came across another Tasco Target scope just like the one I had previously, except this one was a variable 6x-18x version! The seller wanted a paltry $100 because the rear mount is missing it's attachment screw. These scopes use Unertl posa-loc bases, and the same locking screw setup, so I will need to fabricate one to replace the missing rear screw. It appears the threaded hole in the base may also be buggered up, so I'll drill and tap the hole out first, and then build the screw to fit the larger hole size.
Really tickled to find another of these neat scopes, and even more so to have it be a variable. I'll put it on my Remington 700 VSF varmint rifle in .22-250 once it's done. Need to see if I have a pair of Unertl target bases to install on the rifle first, or get a pair from Steve Earle Products if I don't have them.

Wont be letting this one get away from me!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Tasco copy

Post by AJMD429 »

I've had numerous Tasco scopes over the years, and I suppose all are to some extent 'copies' of better ones, but I've really not had any quality or performance issues with them. Over the years I've had a few scopes succumb to recoil in Mini-14's without the buffer system the newer ones have, but that's about it.

I wind up resorting to some 'inferior' brands because when I shoot a precision rifle, it does me no good if the smallest thing I can see at 100 yards is an inch in diameter when the gun can shoot quarter-inch groups, so I like up to 40x optics for that application. I'd need to take out a mortgage to buy most of the best-brand scopes in that magnification range, but the lowly Tascos and others I've used do just fine. Perhaps the ten-times-as-costly brands would have a little better performance in low light conditions, a little better edge-of-view clarity, or sustain more recoil, but a 22-250 or 223 or 17 Hornet isn't likely going to destroy my scope.

Glad you found something useful and affordable for your unique application....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used a couple of Tasco 3 to 9 scopes over the las 25 years. I have nothing against them. I have used Bushnell, Vortex, and Nikon scopes. If my vision were sharp enough to fly a fighter jet, the better scopes might make a difference to me. Some cheap scopes are decent.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I have a Tasco Pronghorn fixed 4x scope that I have put on everything from several 22 rifles to a Ruger#1 in 375 H&H. Holds zero and adjustments are repeatable.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Those old Tasco 4x's used to be my favorite scope.

Had one on every knock-around truck-gun that would take a mount.

Can't find' em anymore.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I haven't had issues with Tasco scopes either, but haven't purchased any newer Tasco scopes either. The Tasco scopes made in Japan have a very good reputation for high quality. People avoid the current ones made in China, but I have no information on their quality?
I do know from owning this same scope made by B&L, and Tasco, that the Tasco is the equal to a B&L original. At least I couldn't find any difference.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Heard the Japan ones were good, the newer ones only so-so
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Easy fix for the rear target base clamp. I drilled the existing hole slightly larger, and deeper and then tapped it for 8-32 NF thread. Found a long machine screw, and cut the head off, then used red Loctite and threaded it into the rear mount. Found an old Weaver scope knurled thumb knob, and drilled it out larger, and threaded it 8-32 also. Then dug around and located some 5/16" steel tube, and cut a short piece off about 1/4" long. Dropped it in the rear hole for the Posa-Loc and screwed the knob on the new stud.
Slid the scope on a couple old guns I have to see if it locked down OK, and it did. I wanted to mount it on my Rem. 700 varmint rifle, but after digging through all my old Lyman and Unertl target bases, I couldn't find one that was the right hole spacing for the receiver ring. Found the front factory holes were common spacing, but the back ring has slightly longer hole spacing, and nothing common fit. So might have to build a dovetail base and drill it to match the gun instead.