.36 Caliber Revolver - New shooter questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

.36 Caliber Revolver - New shooter questions

Post by vancelw »

Alright, we have people with all sorts of experience here. I need some hints.

I recently acquired a couple of .36 caliber revolvers. An 1851 Navy and an 1861 Navy. Both are Uberti made.
I finally made time to load and shoot one (the 1861) yesterday. It's a hoot, except for the cleaning....
I figured out a few things I need to know.

What is a good capper to use? I have a straight capper for #11 caps. Haven't tried it with #10s yet to see how well it holds them, but obviously, I need something better than my fat thumbs.
I also noticed the #10 caps are loose and see that many recommend smashing them slightly out of round to make them stay on better. Is there a capper that will do that for you as you set them?
Nipple wrench recommendations?? The one I have for rifle is too big for the revolver cylinder. Are those Taylor's L-wrenches sturdy enough or do I need a T-handled one?
I'll probably just buy .375 round ball for now. If I get to shooting more I can always buy a mould.
On that note, do y'all use patches or wads? I used some .36 caliber pre-lubed patches, but they seem awfully large.
What's the best way to clean the frame and action? Seems like taking the stocks off would be a pain (and end up buggering screws) but don't want to get the wood wet. I used hot, soapy water, blew everything out with air and then oiled it back down. I need to readdress it once I get the proper nipple wrench.

When I shot it at bout 10 yards, the hits were 4 inches or so to the left. How do you correct point of impact on a BP revolver? You can't rotate the barrel.... Am I stuck with Kentucky windage?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .36 Caliber Revolver - New shooter questions

Post by M. M. Wright »

yes you need a T handle nipple wrench and some new nipples. Slix Shot from Track of the Wolf. you can try filing your nipples shorter to get them to a larger part of the taper so your caps will fit. Chain fires can occur from loose caps. Watch Duelist 1954's videos on youtube. He's got a bunch but look for the ones about your revolvers. I don't pull the grips very often but you've got a leg up with compressed air. It's what I use. And Ballistol is your friend. Buy some Permatex anti-sieze for the nipple threads and don't use much. you can try opening up the hammer notch sight to one side with a tiny round pattern file to correct windage a little. Or you can install a dovetail front and I like to shorten the barrel to 5". Oxyoke wads are good but over ball wax from a toilet ring works even better and really works as a lube. The slot in the hammer face needs to be filled with JB Weld to keep it from pulling spent caps which jam the action. #10 caps work better or 9s if you can find them and you need a small piece of wood dowel to give the caps a push to seat them. One of the snail cappers is nice too. They come big enough to hold a hundred.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:45 pm yes you need a T handle nipple wrench and some new nipples. Slix Shot from Track of the Wolf. you can try filing your nipples shorter to get them to a larger part of the taper so your caps will fit. Chain fires can occur from loose caps. Watch Duelist 1954's videos on youtube. He's got a bunch but look for the ones about your revolvers. I don't pull the grips very often but you've got a leg up with compressed air. It's what I use. And Ballistol is your friend. Buy some Permatex anti-sieze for the nipple threads and don't use much. you can try opening up the hammer notch sight to one side with a tiny round pattern file to correct windage a little. Or you can install a dovetail front and I like to shorten the barrel to 5". Oxyoke wads are good but over ball wax from a toilet ring works even better and really works as a lube. The slot in the hammer face needs to be filled with JB Weld to keep it from pulling spent caps which jam the action. #10 caps work better or 9s if you can find them and you need a small piece of wood dowel to give the caps a push to seat them. One of the snail cappers is nice too. They come big enough to hold a hundred.
EXCELLENT ADVICE....... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Thanks for those replies.
I've been looking and (like always) having a hard time finding all the things I want to buy in one location.

I've got some never seize around here somewhere...

The 1851 (the one I didn't shoot) has slix shot nipples on it. I will see how a cap fits on those. And that gives me 6 extra original nipples to file on as practice.

Good start on advice. I'll be back for more, I'm sure.

M.M. I was going to come see you at the Tulsa Wanenmacher show in April. Then they cancelled all common sense. :(
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

It's not on this site, but here's an excellent posting about the Proper Use of a Cap and Ball Revolver(click for link) and I hope you're able to access it.

Good luck -- go make some smoke!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

All the Uberti's that I've owned needed .380" balls. You may have older ones from way back but all the ones I've seen in the past fifteen years or so have had the larger bore diameter.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

MM Wright is right. Get some SlixShot nipples, use Remington #10 caps. Find .380 balls, unless your .375 have a nice little ring of lead left after pressing them in the chambers. I use Ox-Yoke wads over the powder and "Bore Butter" on the arbor. I can usually shoot 6 stages before any cleaning is needed.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have just started reading "Percussion Pistols and Revolvers" by Johnny Bates & Mike Cumpston. It looks an interesting and useful book, for newcomers to muzzleloaders and old hands alike... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Great suggestions and links....just what I was looking for.
I had watched some few videos before, but was having to wade through too many weeds to get to the good stuff.

So...on break at work I ordered enough stuff from 3 different places to basically fund another gun :oops:

My .375 balls seated well with a patch, and the patch self trimmed enough for me to pull out the excess. Let me shoot my gun but don't want all that hassle.

I've got a .375 conical mould that came with my 1851, but I'm doubtful it will work worth a darn as the bullets just drop into the cylinder with no resistance. May search for a .380 conical.

The hardest part is getting caps without paying a haz-mat fee. No one local sells any.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You might try honing out that too small conical mold. If it doesn't work you haven't lost anything.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ugh... now I can't find #10 caps in stock anywhere :cry:

I thought I had a tin, but they must be #11 as they are very loose.

Oh well, getting enough hurricane rain that I can start reading my new copy of Percussion Pistols and Revolvers by Johnny Bates & Mike Cumpston
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:19 pm
M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:45 pm yes you need a T handle nipple wrench and some new nipples. Slix Shot from Track of the Wolf. you can try filing your nipples shorter to get them to a larger part of the taper so your caps will fit. Chain fires can occur from loose caps. Watch Duelist 1954's videos on youtube. He's got a bunch but look for the ones about your revolvers. I don't pull the grips very often but you've got a leg up with compressed air. It's what I use. And Ballistol is your friend. Buy some Permatex anti-sieze for the nipple threads and don't use much. you can try opening up the hammer notch sight to one side with a tiny round pattern file to correct windage a little. Or you can install a dovetail front and I like to shorten the barrel to 5". Oxyoke wads are good but over ball wax from a toilet ring works even better and really works as a lube. The slot in the hammer face needs to be filled with JB Weld to keep it from pulling spent caps which jam the action. #10 caps work better or 9s if you can find them and you need a small piece of wood dowel to give the caps a push to seat them. One of the snail cappers is nice too. They come big enough to hold a hundred.
EXCELLENT ADVICE....... 8)
Agreed on all counts. If you are interested in shooting period-correct conicals, go to the Eras Gone Bullet Molds website. These are great!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

In my keep file.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ray wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:04 pm B.T.W. there is no better a powder charger/measure for the navy colt than a spent .40 s & w case.....

and this.....

http://milesfortis.us/mcump/mc18.htm
Thanks for the link...and the reminder.

I actually have a set of volume measures from 10 to 80 grains. I soon figured out that a .458 Lott caseful of BP was what I needed for my Kodiak Kombo

So, my search says that a .40 S&W holds 19.3 gr of water and a 10mm holds 24.1 gr of water. I've found that the BP volume by weight seems to be the same.
If I ever get a day off work where I am not overcome by chores, I'm going to get that 1851 and 1861 back out to play with again. I finally found some #10 caps and got my SLixshot nipples and a decent wrench
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I posted this photo a long time ago, it's a gravestone in the local church. Not often you see a Colt Navy on a headstone.
P2050025.jpg
Click to enlarge photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A closer image. The Colt Navy was issued to British Officers at the time of the Crimea war.
P2050026.jpg
Click to enlarge photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.