When my young kids played outside.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

When my young kids played outside.....

Post by AJMD429 »

I always worried about them. Probably too much, but then again, how can a parent not worry all the time...

https://www.theblaze.com/news/felon-rushes-5-year-old-boy-playing-outside-puts-a-gun-to-his-head-and-executes-him

....99% of the time I* was somewhere around, and 100% of that time, I was armed with something suitable. I remember planting tree seedlings where there was erosion in a field that bordered on a river, with my 2 and 4 year old daughters playing in the dirt and 'helping'. I had a Mini-14 (with a six-pack of 30 round magazines in case the one in the gun got empty somehow), slung on the wheelbarrow handles. You should have seen the look of the people who spotted the kids from the road, but didn't see me, and pulled their vehicle into the field to check things out. Statistically they weren't likely intending harm, but more likely just wanting to make sure the apparently-unattended small kids were ok, but when I heard the vehicle I paused the planting and grabbed the rifle and just walked around some brush to where I could see who it was. Of course they could see me too at that point. Boy did they sling dirt backing back out onto the road and peeling away.

Too bad that little boy didn't have a guardian angel that day. What a nightmare. I guess maybe I was just too much of a chicken to think I could survive the emotional wreckage if something like that happened to my kid, so I was one of 'those' parents - we all see them - the "hovering parents", that is... (only when I 'hovered' it was kind of like an Apache helicopter with 20mm cannon).

At least as they got older, if they went for a walk, they grew responsible enough to protect themselves and my job just became making sure they had the tools, training, and mindset to be aware yet to fully enjoy and have fun outdoors.

Now my main job seems to be to encourage them in ways to evade 'gun-free zones' and anti-gun workplace and school policies. ("Carry a ViceGrip in your jeans pocket the first week of college dear, and if anyone asks, tell them your bicycle has a lug-nut that keeps coming loose" - - - "after that, you'll know if there are any metal detectors anywhere." Then "Make sure you carry a big enough gun to be effective, ALWAYS conceal it, NEVER flash it, NEVER let anyone know you have it, and the hardest part for the girls......you just MAY have to alter your clothing fashions to accommodate truly concealed carry.... :( ")

*...or their mother....if I'm a junkyard dog when it comes to protecting my kids, she's more like a 600 pound Siberian Tiger in a bad mood... :shock: (...actually I live in constant fear for my own safety - - - sometimes I'm seen walking around in a daze, muttering to myself "NEVER make wife mad; never make wife mad; never make wife mad.......YES dear...? What can I do for you dear...? You're right dear....!.... :? )
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: When my young kids played outside.....

Post by jeepnik »

When my kids were very little I tried to get my wife to carry. I was being overly cautious according to her. Then one afternoon some guy tried to reach into the stroller and touch my youngest. Mama bear unleashed all the fury her 5' 96#'s could set loose upon him. Fear and adrenaline won the day, that and the help of a couple of bystanders. That evening she told me to get her a permit and her own gun. Trust me it wasn't a request it was an order.

She's carried almost everyday since. The kids are now former Marines, but they still know you don't mess with the mommy.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unsurprisingly, he was already a multiple-felon, including firearms charges....

https://www.wilsontimes.com/stories/fel ... ath,214226

Good thing there is a LAW against felons having guns; 'gun control' is SO helpful... :roll: :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I sort of had the need to protect the kids instilled in me when I was an infant. My Mother was a triplet. Back in 1941 or thereabouts, my Grandmother used to tell of a time when some "Arab" tried to purchase the triplets. From what I heard, that person hung around for a while. The Police in Dodge City supposedly arrested him more than once, but he was released because of some political connections or something. My Mother grew up being afraid to let her kids out of her sight.

When I was in College, there were not any metal detectors anywhere on campus. We all had keys and pocket change, and many of the students had pocket knives. Metal detectors would have been going off all day.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My kids (3) used to play out front with the big black dog ( a terror to strangers) . One day a white truck pulled in the drive and stopped. I went out 10 steps with glock in pocket and said "what?". He said he wanted to repave my driveway. "No" he had a funny cartoon like voice and struck me as a real weirdo. I went inside and looked up sex offenders in my zip. Guess who was front page He had done 10 years for raping a 4 year old. There were 9 other offenders in my zip. At 80 years old he looked harmless enough .
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

So sad and tragic, largely being ignored in the news. This is just 30 minutes up the road from us.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

From descriptions of the event, I suspect that no one would have been ready or able to stop this animal from murdering the child.

Apparently he was known to the family and was a frequent visitor. They trusted him enough to let him approach the kids without reservation.

This was an evil man who gained the confidence of his victims and they dropped their guard.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.