Backpack Hunting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hoxeysugd

Backpack Hunting?

Post by Hoxeysugd »

So a buddy and I took a scouting trip last weekend into a new area we're planning to hunt for elk season this year. Saw PLENTY of elk plus deer, moose and bears. In the past our group has always packed with horses but we, for various reasons, are doing our own thing this year and will be limited to manpower instead of horsepower. We'll be packing in somewhere between 2 and 4 miles. Neither of us have ever done much backpacking for more than 1-2 nights at a time and are just trying to figure out some specifics. I saw some good info in a recent thread about backpacking food, etc. My main, and maybe stupid, question is what you backpackers do for a day pack while hunting. Do you pack a separate pack in your frame pack to use for day hunts from camp? One idea I've had is to remove the pack that goes with the frame and lash on my day hunting pack stuffed with everything I need for the trip then leave everything but my day pack stuff in camp once we get packed in. We'll most likely be camped on a creek rather than a spring. What's the most common method you guys use for water purification? Iodine tabs, boiling, filter, steripen? Also, what's a pack weight goal to keep in mind for a 5-6 day hunt? I need good backpack with good loops like on this page https://simplycarry.com/what-are-the-lo ... traps-for/. I'm thinking I'll wind up in the 45 pound range.
Last edited by Hoxeysugd on Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Backpack Hunting?

Post by gcs »

I'm not going to be a lot of help, but, I think 45# is getting up there for relatively inexperienced backpackers, I've packed out boned deer and my regular hunting stuff in a pack frame and i was glad to take it off and I only had to go 1/2 mile.
I guess plan on sharing as much stuff as you can with your buddies so as not to duplicate items, and remember, you got to haul everything back, including meat, capes, etc.
As for water, those filter pens are supposed to be pretty effective.
I'm sure others with experience will chime in soon,.
sounds like a neat plan though.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

I use the heck out of a water filter with a pump.
Gotta agree with gcs. 45 pounds going in is a lot heavier coming out when you add in an elk or two. I hope it's all down hill.
Does sound like fun tho.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I only use one pack. Around here you have to hang your food, so I take a rope and a sack to hang everything I don't pack while hunting. My pack is designed to pack meat. I use a First Need water filter--pump type---I'm not fond of iodine or charcoal, in fact I think iodine will generally disrupt your digestive system. I generally only take back pack---dehydrated meals. I generally don't pack much in the way of extra clothes, just what I have on and what I need to put on to stay warm. Share pots, pans and stove---I like MSR Coleman fuel stoves--the Whisperlite is a good one. I also use alcohol stoves, but they can be hard to light when it's really cold---I only pack a striker for fires---but a small pack of emergency matches--the super type is a good idea if you don't like/use strikers. I also have an ultralight wood stove, mine is home made, there are lot of choices to buy and just a few ounces, but a lot of times I'm above timberline---so no wood, but below timberline they are good and you don't have to pack fuel. I only boil water for meals, no frying, so a simple kettle for boiling, sometimes I'll pack a Kelly kettle---kettle and stove in one. 45#'s would be heavy for me---does that include your rifle and ammo? My pack accommodates my rifle, which is nice in rough country. I weight about 160 and I'm 5'7" and in decent shape @ 60 years---45 #'s would be toward my upper end. The bulk of what's in my pack is food, a ground mat and my sleeping bag---if you expect bad weather--are you taking a back pack tent ---four season tent? They can surely be a life saver. Good boots really help----I've packed out several sheep with back packs---the load will be well over 100#s with game if you take the hide and head, plus meat----my arches suffer if I don't make sure I have good boots. Biggest thing is not to plan for a long trip and over do it. 1/4 of an elk boned is a load for me. 1/2 a deer bone does it. So if you shoot an elk, maybe plan on multiple trips to get it out---unless you are big, burly, young and in great shape. Plan on boning--take a good knife, sharpener and I really like a small hatchet like a Roselli---very light and made to process game. I pack a light rifle,,shsss, this is a lever action forum, but I pack a Kimber @ about 5 1/4 #'s with the scope....HA! A friend of mine who is about 70 and still does this stuff always points out to me that no matter how hard you try, you can't take in enough calories and you can't drink enough water.....If you live at a low altitude and are going to a high altitude---give your self some extra time the first day or two for sure.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

All we do is back packing over here. 2-4 miles is not far depending on terrain and 20 kilos/45lb is not a heavy load. You will be fine if your fitness is fair.

Most people here will use a separate daybag. A smaller backpack. Enough for knife torch raincoat etc, just the basics. It can by rolled up and tied alongside or over the top of you main backpack. Or if you have an easy walk in, you can fill it with extra food and wear in front, like a Japanese schoolgirl.

You can also just dump your main articles out of your backpack, and use that, but it will be heavier and bulkier, and less satisfactory than having a little daybag You can also take a sugar sack or a hessian sack and make it into a poor man's daybag, tie some stones into the corners with ropes as straps.
Google "pikau hunting bag".
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Most every fall we hunted a 2-4 mile walk in was the norm. We found that the average hunter wouldn't go a mile from their truck or camp, so going 2-4 miles was the minimum we'd go before we even started hunting. And we normally did this twice a day, as we returned to camp with meat, or to make lunch, and plan our afternoon hunts.
My normal pack was a large bag of trail mix, some jerky, a couple apples, camel back water pack, plus an extra bottle or two of water. This usually covered food and drink for the hunt, but was enough to cover the whole day if things ended up not making it back for lunch.
We additionally carried our emergency kit, which included first aid kit, flashlight, and space blanket, just in case. I never got caught out all night, but there were several times we were well after dark packing out game. Sometimes the first trip out is a light load, as we needed to get to the rig and drop off whatever items were not needed. Then with just water, and snacks, we'd head back out to bring the rest of the meat back. We never did stop making trips until we were done getting all the meat out, as we didn't want predators to get into it and drag it off.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/