How the Brits could have dropped the Hiroshima bomb

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

How the Brits could have dropped the Hiroshima bomb

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had no idea of the existence of the secret "Black Lancaster" squadron that was in place to drop the atomic bombs if the US couldn't work out the B-29 bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XX9ptCNpik
piller
Posting leader...

Re: How the Brits could have dropped the Hiroshima bomb

Post by piller »

There are probably a lot of missions, even if just planned and not carried out, that have not yet been made public. War requires secrets. Always has.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Dang, I stumbled upon this post in the Classifieds forum -- as I've been looking to buy a Lanc!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Pentagon has war plans drawn up against, and with, every country on earth, including the Vatican.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Blaine wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:08 am The Pentagon has war plans drawn up against, and with, every country on earth, including the Vatican.
Not surprising. You need to be prepared. The old saying about wishing for peace and being prepered for war still holds true.

There were some amazing airplanes designed and built in the WWII era.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:11 am As someone who worked on 'Black Programs' for over 40 years, the American people have no idea the breadth of secrets the Gov't keeps. Top Secret is nothing as the real important stuff is protected under various Special Access Control Systems where even the names of the systems are classified. Under penalty of prison if I blab, I'll keep the ones I know about to myself all the way to my grave.
I met the author of the book "Single Harness", and you might enjoy the read. He was one of the people-who-didn't-exist, went places-nobody-was, and did things-nobody-did, probably around from 1960 to 1990. As the last of 18 team members he was the agreed one to release some description [minus mission-specific details] of what his life was like and what kinds of things the U.S. can make happen.

When I met him, I had been cautioned "you can't ask him any detailed questions" but I did just ask him one question - "Can you tell me if there are currently similar programs as to the one you were in...?" His Answer: "You can count on it...!" I must admit I felt much more secure knowing that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Engineer who designed the first Trident missile retired in the 80s. He retired because he was tired of getting on a jet on Monday Morning, being blindfolded, and not knowing where he was until he got home on Friday. He couldn't tell what he was working on. The World found out on January 17, 1991. What he helped design and build the prototypes of was a missile. He explained some things to me that are declassified. His Father, a farmer and blacksmith with an 8th grade education suggested something that is still used. The Trident cannot be affected by taking out the Global Positioning Satellites. All other long range missiles with any guidance are using the GPS network. The Trident II still uses the other system. 3 targets at 12,000 miles at the same time, nuclear warheads, each within an area that is about .00001 MOA. He came up with the calculations for the trajectory by finding out what everyone else overlooked. To the best of my knowledge, no other Country figured it out. I still wonder what secrets he took to his grave. His daughter still doesn't know that his wife, her mother, spoke Japanese. The daughter still thinks her relatives didn't know that Gypsy was a Timber Wolf hybrid.
D. Brian Casady
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

On the cruise missiles? Probably not the Chief Engineer.
The window on the Trident to align it with what it used for guidance. Absolutely was from a suggestion by an Oklahoma farmer and blacksmith with an 8th grade education. Still in use.
The pictures which are now in the public domain showing an engineer in the test chamber for the rocket motor of the original Trident. That was who I spoke with. Lockheed's comment on that picture lists him as the Chief Engineer of the program.
As far as the hooded travel. I can only guess at what and where. The Skunk Works, as it has become known, did have an area which required hooded travel.
D. Brian Casady
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

He was a Harvard Grad who came from No Mans Land. Served as a clerk in WWII. Never saw combat, although he was pretty close to the combat zone more than once. In a war, it is certain that a bunch of personnel were close to the combat zones without being in combat. Support is needed in all combat. How close? I do not know. I can guess that he was beyond artillery range.
He learned that the highly flammable adhesive used to add another sheet of thickness for testing to the solid fuel had a strange property. Until cured, the adhesive was flammable. After curing, it put the flame out. They had cut a bunch of exact thicknesses of the solid fuel. They decided to test it in several thicknesses. They glued it together. Imagine their surprise to find that they couldn't keep the fuel burning when 2 or more of the strips were glued together. Just another part of learning. Glue which is flammable when uncured and liquid is not always that way when fully cured. Chemical changes happen, and experiments help you to find these things when they can be adjusted and changed.
That same engineer is the one who figured out that separation of stage 1 did not only follow the law of conservation of momentum. He realized that there was another force in play. Once that was accounted for, the accuracy suddenly went to never before seen tolerances.
Funny, but he refused to accept that fixed focus binoculars could ever work. It seems that we all have our blind spots.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: ".................................................... And, all made the lowest bidder.........................."
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV