Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Looks Like I Ended Up With A 40 Cal Carbine Anyway!

Post by gamekeeper »

Hey Steve, with all that money you saved you could get another Leveraction......... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Interesting.
Let us know how it goes.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Wed May 04, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know what you mean about “out past 100 yards”, and though ‘lobbing’ our to extreme ranges is fun range-play, it isn’t what I want to depend on for protection or food.

I have two ‘pistol-caliber’ carbines that use semiauto cartridges and they both are nice....out to 100 yards, and that’s about it. One is a Mech-Tech ‘upper’ I use on a double-stack 1911, and the cool thing is it is a great way to have 20 rounds of 45 ACP on-tap for a home defense gun, although it is rather heavy and definitely not a ‘backpacking’ gun. I’d mostly consider it a 25-yard gun just because of what I use it for, although at the range, it will smack the 8” gong at 100 yards reliably; never shot it farther than that.

The other is a KelTec Sub-2000 that I got as trade-in for my older (non-takedown, non-Glock-magazine-using) Ruger PC9 carbine that I seldom used. I figured the KelTec would serve better as a lighter weight and more packable gun than even the ‘takedown’ Ruger PC9, which was WAY more expensive, and it still used Glock magazines. I wouldn’t attempt to shoot it past 100 yards, though with the very basic factory sights I can hit the 8” gong at 100 yards almost every time so it is better than I can shoot a 9mm handgun for sure.

Any remorse that I didn’t spring for the Ruger Takedown PC9 vanished last spring, cuz they came out with the ‘Charger’ version, which is still rather heavy for its much smaller size, but much nicer to suppress, because it is shorter, and the ‘takedown’ feature means instead of unscrewing the suppressor, you just twist off the barrel and suppressor as one. Add the arm brace and you get nearly the same steadiness as if it had a stock.

I don’t know if they will offer them in 40 S&W (but I sure would like a swap-out barrel/forend in 22 TCM... :) ), but the reason I mention all this is that I agree with you about the lack of practicality for 9mm or 40 S&W or 45 ACP our past 100 yards, so IF someone is thinking about a ‘carbine’ in those chamberings, it only makes sense if the carbine is going to offer an accuracy edge over a same-cartridge pistol, magazine interchangeability, and be light enough and compact enough to be worth the extra space in backpack or even vehicle.

The KelTec is certainly lightweight and although not ‘robust’ it seems well made, and adds accuracy, if not range. The Ruger 9mm in ‘carbine’ version just seems too heavy and bulky for what it adds, however the ‘Charger’ version with a folding arm brace is a pretty cool setup, plus has the advantage (sometimes) of being a ‘handgun’ so is covered by your CCW license and handgun rules. Compact, even when suppressed, too.

Isn’t it interesting how the ‘pistol caliber carbines’ for semiautomatic cartridges don’t add that much, but the ones for revolver cartridges add quite a bit...??? Plus, most of them are LEVERGUNS... 8).

Maybe I’m wrong ( :o ) but it sure seems like a levergun in 32-20, 327 Federal, 357 Mag, 38-40, 44-40, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 460 S&W, or even 500 S&W will add much to the cartridge’s performance versus the revolver; not just accuracy due to the shoulder stock, but it seems the velocity is enough greater to extend range significantly. Do you think it is just that the cartridge cases for those rounds permit loads with more effective use of longer barrels...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

You can load 40 s&w pretty hot before you start seeing pressure issues, if you want to take advantsge of the platform. Plus, a slow burning powder
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Doc was correct when he said "Maybe I’m wrong ( :o ) but it sure seems like a levergun in 32-20, 327 Federal, 357 Mag, etc"
The rifle seems easier to shoot accurately and does add velocity to the .357 round.
6 inch and 20 inch barrels- both just fine for their intended purpose:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

L'iL Gun was originally meant for the .410 shotgun. As such, it was probably formulated to get the most final velocity out of a pistol caliber sized bore. I like it for use in my .44 Magnum and my .480 Ruger carbines. It is accurate and relatively clean burning. I just have to slow my practice down a little due to the greater heat it generates vs H110, H4227, or 2400.
My .44 Mag is a gas operated carbine. L'iL Gun works perfectly in it. It is a little sensitive to pressures. Light loads, such as .44 Special level plinking loads, do not cycle it reliably. Winchester White Box work fine. Reduced loads seem to just not have the pressure to cycle it.
I have not yet reloaded for my 10mm, and must remedy that. My 10mm is a RIA. My Kel-Tec is .40 cal. BBI shows that my Kel-Tec gives pretty good velocity for the .40 Cal. Still, it is not and cannot be a .357 Magnum. It just doesn't have the powder capacity. Same with the .357 Sig. Almost there. Almost.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost