The 'worst' AR-15 Jam...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

The 'worst' AR-15 Jam...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've had it happen - a cartridge case gets up in the charging-handle groove, and if it is an empty, it can 'feed' over the gas-tube even...!

Jerry Miculek describes it, why it usually happens, and how to un-jam it 'fairly' easily...

https://youtu.be/Qi9sXw4C5W4
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The 'worst' AR-15 Jam...

Post by jeepnik »

There is one AR jam that is worse. A fired round is being extracted except the case stays in the chamber and the head is pulled off. Then the next round is jammed into the stuck case. Believe me, you aren't going to fix that one with a couple of quick tricks. What you do is toss the Piece of pelosi aside and reach for your sidearm. If you're lucky like me you get to write about it on a gun forum 48 years later.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Wow! I've shot many many thousands of rds from AR's and that happened to me 2 weeks ago! It was an empty from a 300 Black Out. I popped the rear pin...nada...locked up.....pulled the front pin and took the front half off...nada....Just like in the video the rd rode back and forth with the bolt.......I tried to stick a thin screwdriver in there to no avail..........as I had no confidence in what I was doing I did a last resort......took off the buttstock..castle nut...buffer spring and buffer...then the bolt came out with the empty.......

Called my son that night to tell him and he laughed telling me it was bs. He has a safe full of AR's in every configuration ever made and he told me I've been playing with old guns too long as that can't happen......(he built my 300 B.O. with top of the line components)

I use pMag 300 dedicated mags but the ammo I was using probably caused it.....175 gr. cast seated way out.....

Thanks Doc ...it'll probably never happen again....---6
Model A Uzi’s
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

A problem I will never have.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

765x53 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:20 am A problem I will never have.
Me too. I looked for the "gas tube" on my .44 Special SAA ... I guess it's the same tube that is rifled and where the bullet comes out. No way am I gonna get an empty in there!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

JimT wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:58 am
765x53 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:20 am A problem I will never have.
Me too. I looked for the "gas tube" on my .44 Special SAA ... I guess it's the same tube that is rifled and where the bullet comes out. No way am I gonna get an empty in there!
Too Funny
It is not the critic who counts
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:26 pm There is one AR jam that is worse. A fired round is being extracted except the case stays in the chamber and the head is pulled off. Then the next round is jammed into the stuck case. Believe me, you aren't going to fix that one with a couple of quick tricks. What you do is toss the Piece of pelosi aside and reach for your sidearm. If you're lucky like me you get to write about it on a gun forum 48 years later.
It sounds like there's a interesting story on that Jam :shock:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That is something I've never heard of. Got an A5 to jam up with 2 shells tho.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:04 pm
jeepnik wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:26 pm There is one AR jam that is worse. A fired round is being extracted except the case stays in the chamber and the head is pulled off. Then the next round is jammed into the stuck case. Believe me, you aren't going to fix that one with a couple of quick tricks. What you do is toss the Piece of pelosi aside and reach for your sidearm. If you're lucky like me you get to write about it on a gun forum 48 years later.
It sounds like there's a more interesting story on that Jam :shock:
It was an M16, not an A1. I've heard folks say everything from that can't happen to did you keep it clean to it was the ammo's fault. Don't know why and don't care. Gave it back to the armory found an M14 and have been happy ever since. Folks claim today's AR's and such are very reliable and a good rifle overall, of course it's only take about 50 years of improvements. My kids liked them in the desert, until the eldest went to Afghanistan, and even bought me a left handed AR. It's a range "TOY" nothing more, never will be.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad