When someone asks "Can I borrow a gun...?"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

When someone asks "Can I borrow a gun...?"

Post by AJMD429 »

GunGripes had an episode on the topic - https://youtu.be/jI4BN_rOHz8 - but personally I'd far more hesitant to loan a firearm than those guys seemed to be.

I guess if it were a truly close friend, I'd trust their judgement, just like if I were loaning them a vehicle....but the issue is that pretty much all my close friends already own guns...

Maybe I'm just too picky about who to take in as a close friend, but the end result is that I don't really have any gun-less friends... :|

The people I do know fairly well who don't own guns are generally anti-gun, and so I regard them as mostly too 'violent' and 'irresponsible' to loan a gun to. Why...??? I think because most of the people I know who don't own firearms ARE individuals who are hot-tempered, have NO clue how to de-escalate an argument, much less a fight, and some will be the first to tell you that they don't own a gun because they are afraid of what they'd do with it, or afraid they'd forget and leave it in the baby's playpen.

Any of you guys ever loan a gun to a novice...???
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: When someone asks "Can I borrow a gun...?"

Post by FWiedner »

Never.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Never
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Owning a gun is a great responsibility and because I have no control over the gun once it leaves my hands I would not want that on my conscience because even the best of friends can let you down at times
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:evil: :evil: I lent out my T/C Renegade .54 to a boss at work about 20 years ago. I made it from a kit. It was returned ruined with rusty barrel, and effed up double set triggers.
Still got it in the back of the closet....Might clean it up and hang it on the wall.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my children used my guns in Alaska making meat. that's not a loan, that's family business. I don't loan guns
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't lend out anything that can be traced to you.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Simple rule at my homestead.....I loan out NOTHING that has a license plate, a trigger, or a picture of a dead president on it.

Besides, like doc says....everyone I know already has guns and it seems like everyone I know has more money than me so they have no need to borrow anything......issues like that came from people at work....more than once....."hey, can I borrow your truck this weekend?" ....yea,like I want my truck spending the weekend in the hood...."oh man, I'm sorry, get it fixed and let me know how much it costs......

I'll even extend the above three items to anything that has a motor on it......and it's not because I don't trust them, it's that these are the same people who want to borrow my log splitter once a year while they drive around in a 60k truck...I tell them they can rent one for the day for the same price they spent dining out for dinner last night......screw em all....people make you hate them.
Model A Uzi’s
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Never to a novice but to a friend that became an X friend after i got my beat to heck 99 back

ollogger
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I had to stop and think about if there actually were folks I might lend a gun to.

Two of my kids have meat guns more or less on loan, I can lay hands on them if I want but almost never do.

My "good" bro in law who I would trust with anything I own or care about. Unfortunately his father called him home. Miss him every day.

His son. But he only shoots to hunt and has better gear than I do.

Five really old friends, any of which I would ride the river with. But again, they have gear at least as good as mine and don't like borrowing any more than I like lending.

Both of my brothers. But not my sister. Love her but she would endanger herself and others. But both of them would rather buy it from me, then sell it back later if I want.

On the other hand I can think of several who I'm certain would like to ask, but have seen me at my worst at least once and aren't totally sure what caused it. They don't realize how much I've mellowed with age and that's my advantage.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've only loaned a rifle once, and that was to my nephew one year when we were deer hunting, and I'd gotten my buck, and he was having trouble with his rifle. I loaned him my .30-06 to finish his hunt, but I was still walking along with them as they hunted. But I'd have had no problem loaning him my rifle even if I hadn't been along.
But I would never loan a firearm to anyone who wasn't a close family member.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Never. Not a chance.

I dont loan stuff and I dont borrow either. If I borrowed a stone from some one, I would bring it back with a crack in it. :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Other than my son no, I did loan a .22 rifle to my boss's grandson for a couple of hours when his grandpa wouldn't let him use his but I wasn't happy about it.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are