32 20 Lil gun load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Koyuga
Levergunner

32 20 Lil gun load

Post by Koyuga »

Hi Forum.
New guy Fm Oz.

Just rescued a 1907 win 92, did a barrel reline.

Am looking at loading some Hornady 85gn xtp with Lil gun as I have quite a bit.

Would this gun be classified as a weak or strong action.
If that's the term.
I know in newer models you can load them up.
It will be for plinking and foxes I hope.
Cheers

Koyuga.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 32 20 Lil gun load

Post by gamekeeper »

I have never heard of the 92 action being described as weak...but welcome to the fire, there area few from Oz here... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Welcome!

Lilgun is a good powder, a few comments have been made that Lilgun heats barrels fast, in my experience it does. I use it in my 218 Bee, 25-20, 17 Remington, 41 mag, heck it's good in a lot of chamberings- even tried some in my 375 H&H!

Like any rifle/ pistol obtain reliable data ( hodgon.com ) and work up loads conservatively watching for pressure.

The 92 is plenty 'strong' but again ya gotta find a safe load. Remember too that the metallurgy from 1907 is NOT the same as today.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Koyuga
Levergunner

Post by Koyuga »

Thx

Should have used the word "old" not weak.

Just wondering what a safe maximum load would be.

Will also look at our local ADI powder ar2205.

Cheers

Koyuga
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

For my 32/20 I have only loaded lower velocity plinker loads using Green Dot or Universal. So I played around with the 32/20 in QuickLoad and it looks like Lil' Gun might have been designed especially for turning the 32/20 into a magnum while keeping pressures within SAAMI specs. That ADI 2205 doesn't look too bad either, though not being quite as "perfect" as Lil' Gun.

Should make a fine shooter!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know about that gun specifically, but there ARE guns of that era that have 'strong actions' but 'soft steel' so you may not blow the gun up, but you may well destroy headspace unless you stick with lower pressure loads.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Koyuga
Levergunner

Post by Koyuga »

Thanks guys
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

The .32-20 is pretty close to the .30 Carbine. The Carbine is a little longer COL, freeing up some case capacity, but the .32-20 has a little more case capacity to begin with.

Hodgdon has Lil'Gun data for 85 gr bullets in the Carbine. It looks as if upwards of 17 gr will give you nearly 2300 fps at about 25,000, a pressure I have to believe would be safe in any 1892 in good repair.

I ran the data through QuickLoad. For the .30, it figures the fps shown by Hodgdon would take a bit less powder and make a bit more pressure: Close enough. Running it for the .32 and assuming you have the 24" rifle and can cycle at 1.50" COL (it's a short bullet), it figures the same charge will give you nearly identical pressure and (due to the longer barrel) a bit more speed

Please follow the discussion below. I'll retract my suggestion for this powder in an early '92. Sorry about that.
Last edited by KWK on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Wed May 04, 2022 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

KWK...nothing personal but you ought to edit your post.---6
Model A Uzi’s
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:57 pm KWK...nothing personal but you ought to edit your post.
No offense taken. What do you suggest I change?

I do wonder about that sort of pressure in a relined barrel, but I think the action would be up to it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: 32 20 Lil gun load,

Post by Sixgun »

KWK.....OK...the pressure readings your quoting sound acceptable but I've shot a lot of 32-20's probably to the tune of 15-20K out of several dozen rifles and handguns from all vintages with about every conceivable load........while that load you quoted would work in an 1892 or an '85 Low Wall in excellent shape....action, barrel and headspace, you would probably get 2-3 loadings before a case separation would occur......the action is going to stretch and bounce back.......you get it....micro millimeters or however ballsiticians measure such occurances......in easier words to put it, it would be like shooting +P 38 Spl loads out of a lightweight revolver that was designed for standard pressure loads......it's going to work but it's going to be hard on the gun and the brass and that's assuming the gun is modern which you did state.

Some novice or beginning loaders might get ahead of themselves and possibly use it in a questionable firearm.

Not trying to sound like a know it all and in no way am attempting to degrade your suggestion.......kind of like putting an asterisk after a load recommendation in a loading manual. :D -----6
Model A Uzi’s
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Yes, very good point. I've not owned a .32-20 and so haven't been bitten by the chamber concerns. Those pressures I felt confident in because, scaling the size of the action, it should stress a '92 less than a .45-70 does a an '86. However, thin brass and the often strange chambers of the .32-20 are a big concern. I'll point our new friend to Paco's article on hot rodding the .32-20. He reports over a dozen reloads at pressures well beyond what's described here, but with the important caveat that one must resize only the neck.

And there is an even bigger concern. I just reviewed Paco's article this morning and it sounds as if he had damaged an early '92 at pressures in the mid 20s. I'm surprised, but I do retract my suggestion for this old '92 in question. I'll leave the post up for others with newer rifles but edit it. If you're to try Lil'Gun here, keep fps below 2100 and neck size only. Hodgdon's .30 data indicates this should come at pressures Paco is comfortable with in the early '92 (see his "Level Two" section). Safer yet, use an older style powder and load to 1500.

Thanks for that, 6.