Need help with Winchester 1895 Providence Tool and Co

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mwf203
Levergunner

Need help with Winchester 1895 Providence Tool and Co

Post by mwf203 »

I have a Browning Miroku Winchester 1895 in 30-06 with a Providence Tool and Co "Climbin Lyman" sight on it. With that sight set as low as possible in the rear I'm still hitting 14" too high at 100yds. This is 150-180grn ammo. My question is, has others found this to be the case and if so are they changing their front sight to a taller one? Any suggestions on taller front sights for these rifles? It's not a dovetailed front sight post. Looks to be a soldered on base with blade that I imagine is original to this rifle.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need help with Winchester 1895 Providence Tool and Co

Post by crs »

I shoot the 1895 in .405 with a receiver sight and have no experience with your sight. However, why not contact the maker of the sight and ask for help?

How does the rifle shoot using the original barrel sights?

There may be members on this forum with the same rifle /sight that you have and if so, someone here may be able to help you.
Good luck.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
mwf203
Levergunner

Post by mwf203 »

I reached out to the maker of the sight and they aren't responding. When I purchased the rifle, the original rear sight dovetail had been filled in. It's removable, but I would have to purchase a new Buckhorn style to put in its place in addition to finding original receiver screws to put back in the receiver where the Providence Tool and Co. mounts.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You need a TALLER front sight. I'm not 100% certain if your gun is a dovetail sight or screwed on. All dove tails should be a 3/8" slot, just call Williams or Lyman with the height of the blade( a set of calipers), explain the problem and they'll bill your CC and send replacements.
A brass punch and tap it out, from right to left to remove it and in from the right, helps keep the dovetail from stretching. I would suggest a couple various heights so you can make a final adjustment in the middle of your Lyman .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mwf203
Levergunner

Post by mwf203 »

I will try that, the front on here doesn't appear to be dovetailed bt likely brazed/soldered on. I've attached a photo for reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have an 1895 Browning in 30-40 Krag with the Providence Tool rear sight. The front sight is pinned into a groove in the base, and yes you need a taller front sight. I don't recall where I got my replacement front sight blade, but I do recall it was too tall and I had to grind a little off the bottom side and re-drill the pin hole.

Hope this helps.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

The side of the front sight base looks to have a pin in it. Is it visible from both sides? If so simply drive the pin out and measure the thickness of the front right blade. Get some flat stock that thickness and cut your own right in whatever size and shape you prefer.
mwf203
Levergunner

Post by mwf203 »

I ended up using HawkCreeks advice. I found a tall blade front sight that was thicker, filed it down, shaped it, blued it, and I'm hoping it gives me some extra adjustments. Photo with fingers visible is the height of the original versus the one I made. I will test this out and lower as needed to get the top notch on the Providence Tool Co to be at 100.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mwf203
Levergunner

Post by mwf203 »

With the taller front sight I built, installed I took my 1895 out this morning. I fired 5 of 2 different weights 2x165grn and 3x180grn. I wanted to see first where I was for elevation and secondly to see the difference in impact for these two weights. The top 2 holes in this picture are the 165grn rounds and the bottom 3 are 180grn. The wide arrow is the horizontal line for 100. I think I got the front height about right.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Excellent...... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Don't you just love when you can work out a problem and end up with a great shooter
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I used a dollar coin to make a front sight for my 1895 after I put a Providence sight on the rear.
Couldn't find a tall enough one to buy, and making one only cost me a dollar.
I think XS makes a front sight for th 1895, but I couldn't find one at the time
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle