Some good and not so good shooting this morning.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Some good and not so good shooting this morning.

Post by 2ndovc »

Took the Mini Thirty and my SDS 1911A1 knock off out shooting this morning. Still can't get the Ruger to feed quite right, doesn't seem to matter if it's handloads or factory ammo ( multiple brands) the last two or three rounds just won't feed properly. An email from Ruger wants me to box up all my magazines and send them in. Apparently they have a fix for the issue. We'll see.

The best part of the morning was shooting the SDS .45! Shooting offhand, standing at 50 yds I could ring the 24" gong over and over. That was fun!
So far I've run about 400 rounds through this pistol without a single malfunction! Couldn't say that about my last Springfield. That was disappointing.

The place is a bit primitive, but there's usually no one around during the week.

SDS 1911A1, San Pedro holster and a Buck 110 Auto.

The Mini is very accurate and I hate to give up on it but it's frustrating the snot out of me.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Some good and not so good shooting this morning.

Post by gamekeeper »

Great photos, looks like a nice place to spend time making smoke!.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jason,

That SDS 1911 looks pretty good. Is it made in Knoxville or elsewhere?

A friend of mine had a Mini 14 years ago that had the same issues. It would only feed military ball reliably. No matter what commercial or hand loads we tried it did what your Mini 30 is doing. He burned the barrel out of it, sent it back to Ruger for a new barrel and to have the feeding issues fixed.

Got it back with a new barrel and the same feeding problems so he got rid of it.

Hopefully yours can be fixed.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

J Miller wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm Jason,

That SDS 1911 looks pretty good. Is it made in Knoxville or elsewhere?

A friend of mine had a Mini 14 years ago that had the same issues. It would only feed military ball reliably. No matter what commercial or hand loads we tried it did what your Mini 30 is doing. He burned the barrel out of it, sent it back to Ruger for a new barrel and to have the feeding issues fixed.

Got it back with a new barrel and the same feeding problems so he got rid of it.

Hopefully yours can be fixed.

Joe
If Knoxville is just outside of Istanbul! :D
The SDS / Tisas is made in Turkey. Some guys will dump on it because of that, but at less than $400 delivered it's hard to beat.
We'll see if the magazine fix helps with the Mini.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Those are really nice and well made pistols. Had one that kept hanging with HP's, it was the magazine. Hope the Mini thirty gets sorted out. Clean and lightly oil inside of magazine and stretch the spring out slightly OR turn the spring 180.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!