Red Dots on Handguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Red Dots on Handguns

Post by AJMD429 »

I have never shot a normal handgun with a red dot, although I shot Contender pistols with all sorts of optics, and a Ruger Charger off a bipod with all sorts of optics.

Well, I do have a Ruger Mk-3 with a red dot... but that’s it.

Maybe if I took the same course Colion Noir took I might change my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ArU_wHJXhQ

Still it seems not right on a CCW handgun...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Red Dots on Handguns

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with Elmer Keith....don't believe any handgun deserves a scope of any kind. To me, a Contender, AR pistol or a Remington XP are nothing more than cut down rifles.--6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Doc, my edc is a Glock 23 in 40 with a Holosun 507 on it. I had the slide milled for the lowest possible height and I love it. Battery and a solar panel, shake awake technology, three reticle, and tougher than woodpecker lips. I had a battery contact issue right after getting it and thought oh boy I really screwed this up. NOPE it was a small batch that had a known issue. Sent me a return mail box and in a week I had the new one in hand. No issues since. Love it. I actually replaced the stock sights with suppressor height ones just in case.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Not a big fan or red dots on handguns. I do have one holo sight on my MK I Target and it works really well on rabbits. I do like a laser on a self defense handgun. My eyes aren't what they used to be, especially without my glasses at 0 dark 30.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Red dot sights have their place, and for years I shot Bullseye and had one on my Hi Standard Supermatic, and my Beeman Unique target pistols. They were a huge advantage to better scores for me, and for target work I love them. I'd never consider one for defensive work, but if I hunted with a handgun I'd consider one.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some day I'll get a 'CCW' type gun and put a small holosight or red-dot on it, and see how I like it.

For now, I'm kind of like Sixer - I tend to use such sights on 'handguns' that function more like very-short carbines...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My brother showed up at the farm one day with a ruger semi auto 22, with a can and a holo site. I stopped the chainsawing and we had a test with my youngest daughter shooting a new frontier in 22. The test was the standard, who can first knock down 6 Roma tomatoes from eye level balanced in mesquite trees, at 30 feet. The colt won, little sister can shoot :D. To be fair, not sure if brother had that holo thing dialed in yet, he is a shooter as well.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I should probably replace this old (well old compared to new stuff, but not really old time wise) C-More with something more up to date. But it works so well on running jacks and rabbits I don't want to mess with success. It also has one coyote to it's credit.

I can't say the coyote was that big a deal. Out in daylight, totally unafraid and somewhat aggressive. Thin and sickly looking. Could be a number of things, but I wasn't going to handle it. Shot was about 15 yds.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Red dot sights when first used will often make the shooter less accurate than he/she was with iron sights. There's a tendency to jerk the trigger when a shooter is new to red dot sights, and sees the dot right where he wants it. I know a few guys on our pistol team complained that when they went to red dot sights their groups opened up. But once they were advised by others with some time using them, they settled down and remembered it's not going to stay on target if you change the way your trigger finger worked before you went to a red dot.
My scores went up significantly once I spent some practice time shooting the red dot on my target pistols. But I can't see why anyone buys a compact carry gun, and then makes it less compact by adding any sights that stick up like these various electronic sights do?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...But I can't see why anyone buys a compact carry gun, and then makes it less compact by adding any sights that stick up like these various electronic sights do..."

That's my thought on it as well. For range-games, or for hunting, or whatever - they are fun and can really help new shooters get used to the gun itself and acclimate to recoil and noise, before they start focusing on the sight picture tasks. Perhaps the latter is a matter of opinion as to training, but surely they are good for some range, hunting, and target purposes.

However, a CCW gun is normally going to be as compact as possible within the constraints of recoil and concealment. I guess if you normally go around with an open-front holster for your holosighted handgun, it could certainly be a great self-defense tool, but few people do that unless they are working as a security guard or something. Plus, even though I know red-dots and holosights are 'mil-spec' durable, they still CAN fail, and likely do so more often than quality iron sights, even though both can be super-durable.

One thing though with the red-dot and holosights, is that in a real pinch, they CAN be used as a 'ghost-ring' sight of course, though you lose accuracy. Doable in an emergency, though.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:32 pm "...But I can't see why anyone buys a compact carry gun, and then makes it less compact by adding any sights that stick up like these various electronic sights do..."
Because we can't see as well as we once did.
Last edited by jeepnik on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

To me, a Contender, AR pistol or a Remington XP are nothing more than cut down rifles
to me, rifles are nothing more than rebarreled Contenders, AR pistols, or Remington XPs ....... :lol:

maybe a distinction without a difference? when only flintlocks were about, the man carrying one also had a brace of pistols jammed in his sash or belt, eh? seems to me they are designated for different tasks, but shoot the same ammo . . . it's normal
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a HUD electronic sight on my AR15, and for what it's designed use is I love it. My AR is a flat top, and the sight is lower because of this, so I like that. And since size, or concealment isn't an issue with a rifle it works for my uses. I like the fact it's got 4 different type of "dot" from a round dot, dot with circle around it, and two styles of crosshairs. Plus red or green choices. A lot of options, plus the usual brightness adjustment.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I don't want an optic on a handgun I'd carry for defense, but I love them on anything else. My open sight shooting days are pretty much gone, so I use traditional scopes as well as Ultra Dots on various handguns. I like a nice adjustable objective scope for target shooting, but an Utra Dot for hunting.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I love the factory-installed red laser on my LCP EDC....
I just bought the Sig 635 SAS with the no-snag sights....Jury is out, but at self-defense distance they are very good. In a dark room, not so much.
In my not-so-expert opinion, the LCP, or the Sig would be just as effective for close-in self-defense without any sights at all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Tried a friends Red Dot mounted pistol then had my Glock 23 milled and mounted a Trijicon 1 MOA SRO. I was told Gunsite was starting a 250 Red Dot Class and after having the pistol set up for a month, I took the class. I like the fact it is much faster shooting the Red Dot than hunting the front sight through Bifocals. After about 1200 rds, a few shoot houses and the class shoot off I was given a silver raven pin for being the top shooter. I have more faith in my ability to put rounds on on SMALL TARGETS at distance for work if I need to like when I was MUCH younger. I don't get to use the suppressor at work any more but it is GREAT for around the house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have red dots on several handguns and scopes on a couple. The red dots are better than a scope for me" I have a Ruger 6” GP100 .357 mag. That shoots like a rifle. I also liked it with irons so I just had to buy another one so I had a choice.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, after trying every position I could with the new SBH 10 1/2, my eyes simply will not focus properly on the irons anymore, so it is either sell the thing or mount a red dot. This is a hunting/LR revolver. I've been down the Leupold 2X EER path a couple of times, and would like to avoid the bulk and narrow FOV stuff.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don't ask me... I'm just now transitioning from my MilSpec sight on my various 1911s to 3-dots... :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:34 pmI also liked it with irons so I just had to buy another one so I had a choice.
I really LIKE the way you think..... :mrgreen:

flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

jeepnik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:10 am
AJMD429 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:32 pm "...But I can't see why anyone buys a compact carry gun, and then makes it less compact by adding any sights that stick up like these various electronic sights do..."
Because we can't see as well as we once did.
I carry one of 2 pistols, both have RMR red dots on them. Glock 19 and the 43 both have red dot sights with suppressor height sights, so the irons cowitness with the dots. If you have old guy eye, give them a try.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Cut a small notch in the top lip of my holster to allow the sight to slide all the way in. Adds some bulk to the gun but not much and I am a big guy so I can easily conceal it.
88A72CD1-7C90-4E6A-8AE0-B0711445AFE3.jpeg
F3C69F3C-F7A0-45E2-8D22-538196A5C708.jpeg
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.