Things I miss: Really good Hardware Stores, and AXEs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Things I miss: Really good Hardware Stores, and AXEs

Post by Lastmohecken »

I was just lamenting that all of the big box stores, etc, have pretty much ran the fine old time, decent hardware stores, out of business. We still got one or two old hardware stores around, but unfortunately, many of the old line quality products and stock are long gone, and never coming back. My latest frustration is the fact that it is impossible to buy a great AX anymore, unless you find an old one, or pay a small fortune for one of Swedish Grandfors Burks or something. Because True Temper Kelly Perfects, and Plumb's, or Collins axes are not made anymore, except for mostly foreign made junk, mostly.

I grew up using an ax, and still do, but of course the chainsaw has largely replaced the ax but a good ax is still something nice to have to fall back on etc. But I guess there is not enough demand for good tools, anymore, to keep the old line manufactures in business. Fortunately, I still have a good double bit Plum bought new over 30yrs ago. But I was wanting to get a new and maybe different sized ax or two, but was very disappointed at the local offerings, available. I ended up putting a new handle in mine, and thanks to ebay, one can still occasionally find some great old ax heads, but they are pretty expensive due, I think to the present interest in old AX head collecting, apparently.

I bought a lighter Collins Crusier double bit ax head, and a heavy 4 lb Single bit True Temper Kelly head, at least I can still find new fairly decent ax handles.

So, just a heads up, as I figured some of you older guys probably have some old axes you have owned for a lot of years. Treasure them and hang onto to them, because they ain't making any more of them, which unfortunately makes it a lot more expensive to acquire a good quality ax, anymore.
NRA Life Member, Patron
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Things I miss: Really good Hardware Stores, and AXEs

Post by gamekeeper »

My Swedish axe that I have used for over forty years is kept indoors, my cheap foreign axe resides in the woodshed......
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It's even getting difficult to find axe handles. Heads last for several lifetimes if taken care of. Handles last a long time too, but sometimes they do split and need replacing.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Council here in the US still make a good axe, as does Snow & Nealy too.
I like a small axe with me when I'm working the hydraulic splitter, to separate pieces when narly fibers won't let go.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have Collins and Plumb axes, and like them a lot. And keep a sharp hatchet in the car at all times. the axes go along if they will be needed.

However, Seattle has one of the world's best hardware stores. They are being driven out of business by the crazy commie government that wants to tear down their building and put "affordable housing" in its place. I won't go over there any more because of all the warfare and looters and rioters. that is exactly what it's coming to . . .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Our local Ace Hardware is pretty much like that. At least when the owner is there, he knows how to think outside the box and help fix almost anything.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

TraderVic wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:55 pm Council here in the US still make a good axe, as does Snow & Nealy too.
I like a small axe with me when I'm working the hydraulic splitter, to separate pieces when narly fibers won't let go.
True. Both are sold here in a local logging store.
FYI, there is about a 10 year stretch in which Snow & Neally are garbage. The heads were made in China. However, in the last few years, the Amish have purchased the company and are returning S&N ti it's former glory.
I still have an old Bangor S&N Hudson Bay that my dad carried timber cruising.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

We have had the same axe in our family since the 1890's.
Over the years it has had at least 5 different handles and 3 new heads.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

OldWin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:13 pm
TraderVic wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:55 pm Council here in the US still make a good axe, as does Snow & Nealy too.
FYI, there is about a 10 year stretch in which Snow & Neally are garbage. The heads were made in China. However, in the last few years, the Amish have purchased the company and are returning S&N ti it's former glory.
I now remember reading about the S & N axes being imported from China.
I'm thinking seriously of a Council "Velvicut" Hudson Bay axe.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yep, Snow and Neally was a great old brand, but did go through a bad stretch there for a while. The new ones may be ok, now.
NRA Life Member, Patron
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

The best axe I have is a single bit felling axe, which I have owned for about 30 years. Found the ol axe head at the base of a big old blackjack oak tree. Must have been there for a hundred years,. Cleaned off the surface discolorization and put a new hicokry handle in it and hit it a few times with a flat file. The steel in this old axe is amazing. I t does not rust, it just gets a dark patina. and it will Cut!
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I have a fair collection of old axes, collins,plumbs, stiletto, norlund, and some big double bit Swedish felling axes, brush hooks, fire axes, throwing axes, camp sized and a number of smaller hatchets. Always have bought the heads and hafted em myself, thats half the fun. Still need a good broad axe and a nice adze would round my collection right out. Had a number of double bit felling axes I used to haft and give to friends as Christmas presents.
Bought most of these on the W. Coast in timber country. I used to save up 6 or 8 rounds full of knots for stress release, wacking those knotty rounds for 30 minutes will take the agravation right out of a guy . Burned a lot of madrone , eucalyptus, and post oak for heat back then, did some axe throwing too with some logger bros.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:31 pm We have had the same axe in our family since the 1890's.
Over the years it has had at least 5 different handles and 3 new heads.
I tell ya......ole Jim knows how to throw a line.....I noticed not many people caught this. :D

On a different note there must be 25 - 30 axes, hammers splittin' mauls, sledge hammers, mattacks, picks, and hatchets around here. I use this stuff like they were meant to be used and have replaced many of the handles, long, short, heavy, thin, whatever...

You want to have a handle that will outlast you? The last few I've made I made them out of Osage orange...that wood is near as heavy as the steel part of it.

After making and fitting a new handle on a long axe I always wrap the first six inches by the head with gorilla duct tape and thin rubber then wrap copper wire around it and more tape...saves it when ya miss....oh! Another thing I've learned as I aged.....there must be 10 hatchets out back I'll never see again...I paint them yellow. :D --6

The yellow Vaughn to the right has an Osage orange handle. A buddy delivers me firewood and sometimes it's o.o.

An old firemans axe that's stamped "Lewistown, Pa."....painted that one orange...

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

TraderVic wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:36 pm
OldWin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:13 pm
I now remember reading about the S & N axes being imported from China.
I'm thinking seriously of a Council "Velvicut" Hudson Bay axe.
I've always wanted a Velvicut HB too! I don't do any felling with an axe anymore so the Hudson Bay works great for me. I'm going to wait, however, because I want to see the new Amish Snow and Neallys.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:21 pm You want to have a handle that will outlast you? The last few I've made I made them out of Osage orange...that wood is near as heavy as the steel part of it.
Back around 1990 my Dad made a handle for my 2 1/2 pound sledge from Osage Orange. It is tougher today than when he made it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Very true Jim.....as you know, it takes several hours of a labor of love to properly make a handle and fit it....getting a piece of Osage orange longer than a couple of feet that's straight is a wonder itself. At least the ones around here are...all twisty.

I want to hear about the axe that's been in the family for more than a century.....how many of the 17 parts have been replaced?--6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:02 pm I want to hear about the axe that's been in the family for more than a century.....how many of the 17 parts have been replaced?--6
:lol:

I do have a pick that my grandpa hand-forged about 1930.
Needs a handle.
I haven't found one worthy .. and because I might have to use it should I have a handle!