Hey JimT!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Hey JimT!

Post by Catshooter »

I bought your (Kindle edition) book "Old School Gunology" and I'm really enjoying it. Yer making me laugh quite a bit.

You loaded 150 pounds worth of cast .357s with a 310 set? You're the man! Let me ask you, how did they hold up? Did you have trouble with needing to full-length-size every now and again? I've used the 310s, but not extensively. They are my back-up loader though.

Thanks for taking the time to write: I'm really enjoying it and learning lots.

Cat
JimT
Shootist

Re: Hey JimT!

Post by JimT »

Catshooter wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:37 am I bought your (Kindle edition) book "Old School Gunology" and I'm really enjoying it. Yer making me laugh quite a bit.

You loaded 150 pounds worth of cast .357s with a 310 set? You're the man! Let me ask you, how did they hold up? Did you have trouble with needing to full-length-size every now and again? I've used the 310s, but not extensively. They are my back-up loader though.

Thanks for taking the time to write: I'm really enjoying it and learning lots.

Cat
THANK YOU!! I appreciate the feedback.
Almost all the loads were 3 gr. of Bullseye ... very low pressure .. and did not need to be resized. My Dad had patented a bullet mold for practice loads and he was having me test them. I was 17 years old and thought I was tough. Well .. I sure was more than I am going on 60 years later!

I still use the 310 Tool now and again. Especially if I have just a few to deprime or prime or whatever. I loaded some .44 Specials not too long ago. And this week I primed some 30-30's with the 310 Tool.

Thanks Again!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Cool. Your dad patented a mold? Tell me more please. With Lyman or did he make his own? Got pics?

Cat
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Catshooter wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:28 pm Cool. Your dad patented a mold? Tell me more please. With Lyman or did he make his own? Got pics?
Cat
Back in the1960's he patented his own mold design and marketed them in a small way. He made them himself. There were some writeups in some of the old gun magazines of the time. His design was a full wadcutter, made in almost any revolver caliber. They were light-for-the-caliber design, meant to be used for practice. His design needed no resizing of the cartridge and no crimp so case life was indefinite. He had one .44 Magnum case he had reloaded over 1200 times. The loads were in the 600 fps to 800 fps range and were meant strictly as practice ammo.

I have old photos someplace .. not sure where.