38 Super

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

38 Super

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m contemplating a Kimber 1911 4” in 38 Super . How are the Lee five cavity 124 or 125 PB molds for this application ?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 38 Super

Post by AJMD429 »

Dunno, but the Rural King near me had 1,500 rounds of 38 Super I'm guessing they ordered by mistake; sadly, on the days the less experienced staff were there, or they were just super-busy, it gradually got purchased, and I'm betting many of these new gun purchasers were disappointed to find out it wouldn't work in their 38 Specials.... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

6pt, I recently bought the 4" Kimber in 45 and I love it. Really like the idea of 38 Super too. I saw Bill Wilson carrying a 4" 9mm which I know must be loaded to the limit to make major for IPSC. Got mine for $620 NIB for the Elite II. I have a really nice Colt 5" but the 4" carries so much easier in my Galco Summer Comfort.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have a 6 cavity 124 gr. TC and I can make a bucket of them in short order......don't even bother to size.....mix em up with liquid alox and shoot em by the thousands out of a pair of 9mm Uzi's.......In a Smith 59 and a Smith semi M&P I'll size em. EXCELLENT reliability in all guns.---6
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:26 pm 6pt, I recently bought the 4" Kimber in 45 and I love it. Really like the idea of 38 Super too. I saw Bill Wilson carrying a 4" 9mm which I know must be loaded to the limit to make major for IPSC. Got mine for $620 NIB for the Elite II. I have a really nice Colt 5" but the 4" carries so much easier in my Galco Summer Comfort.
I'm kinda getting hung up on 1911's in general and Kimbers specifically . I've got Kimber 45's now with 5' , 4'" and 3" . Ordered the 3" yesterday !

Also have a Kimber 6" 10mm I like quite a bit .

I'd like to get into Colt's a bit more as I have one Gold Cup National Match 80 but anything with Colt on it is pricey :lol:

I was talking to the guy that does our engraving yesterday as he had stopped by and he proceeded to show me pics of some of the 1911's he's done as well as some of the CPA actions he's engraved . Seems since Ken Hurst passed seems this guy does a large percentage of CPA's work . Anyway I had about talked myself into buying a used Colt serise 70 or 80 and having him do something along the lines of a 3/4 coverage in a style similar to what Colt did . But by the time I got a decent donor gun and paid for the engraving I'd be over $3000 in it and thats PARKER money LOL's !

The whole thing for the 38 Super is sort of for my wife plus the fact that I'm no fan of a 9 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:17 pm I have a 6 cavity 124 gr. TC and I can make a bucket of them in short order......don't even bother to size.....mix em up with liquid alox and shoot em by the thousands out of a pair of 9mm Uzi's.......In a Smith 59 and a Smith semi M&P I'll size em. EXCELLENT reliability in all guns.---6
I think if I go on and get a 38 Super I'll see if I can't pick up two of the six cavity jobs then .

Since I don't like changing over on progressive pistol presses I'll have to see if I can get a Lee Loadmaster or 1000 set up for 38 Super as well .
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:33 am
I think if I go on and get a 38 Super I'll see if I can't pick up two of the six cavity jobs then .

Since I don't like changing over on progressive pistol presses I'll have to see if I can get a Lee Loadmaster or 1000 set up for 38 Super as well .
Mmmmm...curious...do you just "want a 38 Super?" .....which is totally fine as you we guncranks will spend big bucks just for "want". :D

Of the many handgun cartridges the 38 super never caught my fancy, mostly because it's a self shucker, brass is more expensive, and unless you have a reason for it, it doesn't do a lot more than the nine. With the nine and the .223 I'll buy a bucket of range brass, load it once and scrap it. Those cast bullets mentioned will hit the 200 meter 10" plate every shot out of the 16" Uzi.

But..your hearing that from a guy who used to shoot the .22 Jet....a major PITA cartridge.----6
Model A Uzi’s
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:39 pm Dunno, but the Rural King near me had 1,500 rounds of 38 Super I'm guessing they ordered by mistake; sadly, on the days the less experienced staff were there, or they were just super-busy, it gradually got purchased, and I'm betting many of these new gun purchasers were disappointed to find out it wouldn't work in their 38 Specials.... :(
Actually it will work but it would be safer in a .357.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:00 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:33 am

Mmmmm...curious...do you just "want a 38 Super?" .....which is totally fine as you we guncranks will spend big bucks just for "want". :D

Of the many handgun cartridges the 38 super never caught my fancy, mostly because it's a self shucker, brass is more expensive, and unless you have a reason for it, it doesn't do a lot more than the nine. With the nine and the .223 I'll buy a bucket of range brass, load it once and scrap it. Those cast bullets mentioned will hit the 200 meter 10" plate every shot out of the 16" Uzi.

But..your hearing that from a guy who used to shoot the .22 Jet....a major PITA cartridge.----6
I suppose I'd like a 1911 70 series Gold Cup in 38 Super but I just ran across a Kimber 1911 Target in 38 Super that might fill the bill . Nothing wrong with a 9 i just have this mental image of hoodrats shooting them sideways while holding their junk . Plus different I usually deem as a good thing :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well, ya know 6 PT. if worse comes to worst you can always add these to your guns. Just think of all the cool factor...you can install em on a handgun or a rifle...go down to the hood and show the hood rats. They'd pat ya on the back and maybe let you take a swig out of their quart sized bottle of Malt liquor!

Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:00 pm Well, ya know 6 PT. if worse comes to worst you can always add these to your guns. Just think of all the cool factor...you can install em on a handgun or a rifle...go down to the hood and show the hood rats. They'd pat ya on the back and maybe let you take a swig out of their quart sized bottle of Malt liquor!

Believe it or not we had an Uhm hood Rat come in the shop one day wanting to buy a pistol he kept saying he wanted a G-Lock 4/5’s after about fifteen minutes we finally figured out he wanted a Glock 45 . We ended up selling him a Mossberg 500 marine gun and he had our gunsmith mount a red dot on the side gods honest truth !