94ae 444 marlin barrel upgrade

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hokkaido
Levergunner

94ae 444 marlin barrel upgrade

Post by Hokkaido »

Hey folks I have a later 94 BB with the cross bolt safety. I am planning on putting a new barrel on it and have a blank from green mountain 1/20 twist. The blank is 27” long and I have got to thinking.. those 9410s and legacys with 24in barrels sure look nice. Why couldn’t I buy a longer mag tube to keep it the same as the barrel? Sure would look nice I figure, sorta a legacy in 444. Is there any reasons that I don’t know about that I couldn’t do this? Would the tube for the 9410 work? I will post pics as I get things going. So far my biggest obstacle is cutting the fine threads (1/28) on my old lathe, might not be 24in left when I’m done lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 94ae 444 marlin barrel upgrade

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire, interesting project... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting. I have the same rifle but it is so accurate I would not change it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hokkaido
Levergunner

Post by Hokkaido »

Thanks guys. I will order the 410 tube and hope for the best. I can always cut down if need to for some reason. The original barrel was abused and needs replacing and why not go a bit longer. I am having strange dreams of pushing those 265 ftx to 2500.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hokkaido wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:29 pm Thanks guys. I will order the 410 tube and hope for the best. I can always cut down if need to for some reason. The original barrel was abused and needs replacing and why not go a bit longer. I am having strange dreams of pushing those 265 ftx to 2500.
I think the Hornady factory Ammo pushes them to about 2300-ish....be careful.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hokkaido
Levergunner

Post by Hokkaido »

Yep i was planning on being careful. I see Paco wrote a piece stating he got 2600+ with 250 partitions with what I presume would be the original 20in barrel in his BB94. I was hoping i might be able to get just under that with the 265 ftx out of a 24in. But there is still lots to learn for me and as advised I’ll be careful.

I have a big pile of 280 a frames, any reason I cant get 2300fps from them? Planning on making that my brown bear round.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 am Interesting. I have the same rifle but it is so accurate I would not change it.
INTERESTING ! I think about cutting the guide gun barrel to 16"
but it's so accurate that I worry I'd goof it up.