Marlin 1895CB 45-70 26" barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Colorado
Levergunner

Marlin 1895CB 45-70 26" barrel

Post by Colorado »

Hello;

I am wanting to buy a Marlin 1895CB with a 26" octagon barrel but I have read of late that Marlin's quality is not what it used to be. Does anyone have any input on the new ones? I have read to only get one with a JM stamp on it.

I would appreciate any and all input. I am assuming the pre Remington years are the ones to get.

Thanks to all,

Colorado
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Marlin 1895CB 45-70 26" barrel

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Colorado... :D Marlin quality did take a dive with the takeover but there are Marlin owners here who have experience with both old and new Marlins, I'm sure you will get a more detailed reply from them.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Colorado, I have heard that it is now a mixed bag, with some "Remlins" being fine and some with poor fit, poor barrel timing and other issues. I would not buy one online. Go handle one at a gun store and make sure fit and function are spot on before you take it home.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Welcome!

From what I've heard when Remington bought and moved Marlin they took all the old machinery but the workers stayed . That led to Remington staff not knowing how to make the old machines behave. Supposedly Remington has upgraded to CNC machines as well as programming to make the Marlin correctly.

I'd take the advice above and go look at the guns, if I decided to buy one I'd have the shop order me one, knowing it would most likely be new production.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've bought a Marlin or two every couple years for a decade, and only got one that was a bit iffy. It was still easily 'fixed' with minor home gunsmithing. I wouldn't hesitate now to buy one - my most recent Marlin was a 1894 cst 357 Mag and I am VERY happy with it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a 336 W, and my Wife has a 336 C. Hers is much better, but mine works just fine. 4 inch groups at 100 yards are still within the kill zone of a deer. Hers is 1.5 inch groups. Mine has never once had a failure to feed or eject. Would I get one again? Yes. Since they seem to last forever as long as you keep dirt out and do not cause lifter wear, I do not think I will need another in .30-30. My 1895 Guide Gun has a Skinner peep sight. I did a little bit of very cautious work on it to remove chatter marks on the bolt where the ejector slides. It is the stainless version. A popsicle stick with some 800 grit automotive wet/dry sandpaper glued along the long side did the trick to knock off the highest ridges. Then I did a fluff and buff with a Dremel and a felt wheel and some jewelers rouge. I used the lowest setting and used a file first to thin the felt wheel to fit in that raceway. After a little bit, it was shiny and slick. No more broken ejectors. It was also tremendously easier to cycle. To me, it looked as if they were cutting too much on each pass and the milling machine was chattering. Yes it ate 2 ejectors before I smoothed it out. The first ejector mangled prior to ever being shot. The second one broke while on a gun range. The chatter marks were high enough that they were catching and dragging on the ejector. I also put in a one-piece Bomb Proof brand ejector after smoothing it. That Guide Gun is now pretty smooth functioning. It has used Grizzly Cartridge Corporation +P 405 grain loads with good results. I generally use 300 grain JHP out of it with trapdoor level loads when shooting it. I do have some 405 grain modern leveraction loads using a near maximum load of 3031 for it. Those are the Remington type of JSP bullets. I am not sure what they are for, but they flattened a running hog one time. The kick is a heavy push, sort of like a magnum 12 gauge kick.

Once I find a job and get finances straightened back out, a levergun in .38-55 sounds fun. Not sure what it might be used on, but it sounds fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The ones I have seen lately have been good. Would have bought any of the few I have seen. Nice wood on them also.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've kept two early 70s Marlins...an 1894 44mag, and a nice .444
I moved several other Marlins down the road, and replaced them with Winchesters....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hi from Wyoming!!

Have 3 JM Marlins one is a 38-55 CB its a sweet gun, cant help ya with the newer ones

ollogger
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

I bought a JM Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle new and noticed that you can see the barrel stamping on the inside of the bore. I still have the barrel unfired , after seeing that I pulled the barrel & put a 40-65 on it that I always wanted. Have not decided what to do with the Cowboy barrel. Probably should have sent it back to Marlin all those years ago.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I've owned a JM cowboy and one of the old straight grip half mag 95's. I liked the older model the best out of the two, but both would beat the snot out of your shoulder with hot loads. I still have a flinch once in awhile from thirty five years back.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome to the Best Enabler's Forumn. Get the JM stamped Marlin you wont regret it. What companion sidearm you gonna get for it? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I suggest a revolver for the companion sidearm. For a .45-70, a .357 Magnum is a good companion. Capable of taking deer/black bear and on down to rabbit or squirrel. With those 2 calibers, you are capable of taking any animal on this continent. The .357 snake shot capsules can be loaded with number 9 shot and the recipe is usually published in most manuals. No venomous snake I have ever heard of will be capable of surviving a hit from that load. As far as using a .357 on something bigger than black bear, it has been done successfully many times. Just my opinion, but a .45-70 levergun and a .357 Magnum revolver with a 4 to 6 inch barrel make a great team for hunting just about anything.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Or....to stick with same-vintage cartridges, how about a 32-20....? In a modern gun it sure can cover lots of things.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Doc, who makes a current production .32-20?
D. Brian Casady