Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: So, I'm Now A Victim of Identity Theft!

Post by jeepnik »

I still think the government should hire a bunch of ex spec ops types and then spend the time to start identifying these scammers. Once located put the team in the field to eliminate them. It wouldn't take long for the word to get out.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I got nailed years ago when, I suspect, a clerk at a hotel sold my CC number. Took a few months to straighten it out. I put a credit lock at all the reporting agencies. Wife did the same after she got the same thing, but from a gas station.

Glad you got it straightened out.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Do you have a credit freeze on Equifax, etc.? If you had, they should not have been able to generate that account.

More, here:

https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Also Clark's suggestion on setting up an account with Credit Karma should be considered.

DO NOT let these agencies sell you on some special credit protection program, etc. You want a *freeze*.

Sounds like you're doing everything right so far, keep it up.

Also, browse the Clark Howard website, there's a lot of other good stuff there.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Glad you caught it!
Although I have had a couple hackers try to buy on my Amazon account I've never had this happen. Years ago I ordered a scope base from the Henry site, when I got my CC bill there was a $650 charge for Giants tickets. The charge was minutes after I placed the order with Henry. The next day I called Henry to question who took the order and if they were Giants fans. I was told by Mr. Imperato that his son did the CC billing and he certainly didn't use my card to buy tickets!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Great Satan (Anthem Insurance Inc.) had a data breach a few years ago that affected lots of people.

I don't know if mine was related, but all of a sudden I got a postcard from the Department of Revenue from another state saying something like "this is to confirm your tax refund was deposited as requested".

I thought they were probably some fraud thing and didn't want to call the "if you have questions" number, but asked our accountant to check it out, and sure enough he said the card was legitimate.

So we called, and found out that indeed, our $405,982.61 or similar amount tax REFUND was indeed electronically deposited. I let them know that I'd never made that much in a year in my life, much less enough to get that much of a refund, plus I'd never even visited that state as a tourist. The account was one the fraudster opens up just to get the refund, then somehow fakes a huge income and whatever to get a refund, then as soon as the check is electronically deposited, transfers it out and closes the account, and probably moves to some safe place out of the U.S. jurisdiction.

Now we have all sorts of locks and passwords and so on - so I can't even do much LEGITIMATELY without all sorts of verification. I guess that's good though.

I'd support the death penalty for these kind of hackers (along with those who tear down public statues).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

When I filed my federal tax return this year, it was rejected because someone had already filed using my taxpayer ID number. So I had to file a paper return to the IRS office in Fresno, CA. That is the IRS office that deals with fraudulent tax returns/identity theft. Iwas supposed to hear back from them within 30 days. But, the Governor of California shut down all non-essential businesses (COVID-19) and that included the Fresno IRS office. So, no tax refund for me, and the identity thief has long made tracks.

I have a credit lock on everything now
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve