Shingles Vaccine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Shingles Vaccine

Post by jeepnik »

Had it two days ago. My arm is still almost useless and I am sick as a dog. Per the paperwork supplied and a call to the Dr. "this is normal and to be expected". Why don't they tell you about this stuff BEFORE you get the vaccine?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shingles Vaccine

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had the first one last November. Boy it hurt for a few days. I am now overdue for the follow-up "new and improved" Shingrix.
Having seen my father die of H1N1 and pneumonia with shingles in his mouth -- after having had a bad shingles episode about 10 years before -- I'll take the pain. Just haven't wanted to go in and get a shot while this virus is on the loose.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors pretty much only hear one side of the vaccine pros and cons, and it of course comes from the vaccine manufactures, and the various professional organizations to receive funding or advertising dollars from those manufacturers.

And in many, if not most, cases the doctors paycheck literally depends on compliance with ‘quality metrics’ :roll: that depend on how many vaccines they give and so on. That is why I would never see a doctor who is an employee of a hospital or an HMO, unless there were no alternative. At least as a physician myself I might be able to reason with them and talk them out of blindly following protocols designed by insurance companies and big Pharma.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Doc is being very gutsy here in a calm measured way.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My doctor is a day younger than me. He told me that the first shot would feel like someone hit your shoulder with a 2x4 and you would have some mild flu like symptoms for about 2 days. He said the 2nd shot would be very minor to no discomfort.

He was 100% correct.

My wife just had her first and she had the same side effects.

I know of 2 people that have permanent nerve pain from shingles. A couple of days of discomfort is well worth it.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

If Shingles comes from the chickenpox virus still in your system, why not just get a chickenpox vaccine instead as a booster?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm ready, and willing to take the Covid vaccine. I had a SAR about five years ago that I got on an airline, gave to my Mom (probably)...eventually led to her demise, and wrecked my lungs to this day. Medicine don't scare me none.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

My experience has been no symptoms in shot area, fever, flu symptoms for 3 days after both shots and there is absolutely no residual immunity from effects from first shot. It either knocks you on your *** both times or it doesn’t. And I have not spoken to a single person that has had a different experience. Wife is an RN, pharmacist has been a friend for 30 years and had same Dr. which is a neighborhood guy last 10 years as my Doc
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I got fussed at by an employer for telling patients what to expect.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

I had chicken pox at 14 or 15, it's a horrible experience.

I'm pushing 72 years of age.

I had an injection at 70yrs of age for shingles.

Single injection, very fine needle. No side effects.

Regards Mark
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

If you had the one injection shingles, that's the old one. Nowhere near as effective as the new one.

Please do your research, old one about 51% effective, new one 90%

I've had them both. Second one, was out of sorts for a bit, but nothing dramatic.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

"If you had the one injection shingles, that's the old one. Nowhere near as effective as the new one.

Please do your research, old one about 51% effective, new one 90%

I've had them both. Second one, was out of sorts for a bit, but nothing dramatic."

I'll inquire at the doctor, on Monday.

Kinds regards, Mark
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old one was in the back of the arm just under the skin. The new one is a set of 2 shots in the deltoid muscle. Most people get some soreness. Feeling bad for a couple of days is common. Taking tylenol and using an icepack can help if it hurts. It often burns as it is being injected.
D. Brian Casady
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

To my recollection, before I was given the shingles vaccine I had to sign 3 forms acknowledging that my arm was going to hurt like crazy after the shot, among other things. All 3 of those forms were correct...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

They gave me a three page handout "after" the injection. I probably would have done it anyway, but it's much better to be upfront with folks.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

My first shot wasn't bad but the second one really hurt for several days. I had my shot recommended to me by my ophthalmologist because of shingles getting in my eye. He isn't working for an hmo or hospital but highly recommended it because of shingles getting in my eye.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I took the new Shingles vac. which was in 2 parts given a few months apart, if I remember correctly, about 2 years ago. My arm might have hurt a little for a day or two, but I don't remember it being that big a deal, or I would have remembered it and I don't really.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Nickn10
Levergunner

Post by Nickn10 »

I had shingles about 7 yrs ago, luckily I went to the doctor and was treated early on. I had the new shots 6mos ago, believe me the shot pain is nothing compared to shingles Get the shots if you've had the measles.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm NOT totally 'anti-vaccine', but just to fully educate yourselves from both 'sides' of the issue, you all might want to read this book....
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1603587772/
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nickn10 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:57 pm I had shingles about 7 yrs ago, luckily I went to the doctor and was treated early on. I had the new shots 6mos ago, believe me the shot pain is nothing compared to shingles Get the shots if you've had the measles.
You mean Chicken Pox.
D. Brian Casady
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nickn10 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:57 pm I had the new shots 6mos ago, believe me the shot pain is nothing compared to shingles Get the shots
I had a very mild case of Shingles ~3 years ago -- darn glad it was only 5 small spots in one small group; I can't imagine the pains my late aunt had who had it around the waist and on both shoulders.

Then I completed the series of both shots 2 months ago, and -- knock on wood -- I didn't have any issues with either one.

Get. The. Shots.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Nickn10
Levergunner

Post by Nickn10 »

piller wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:25 pm
Nickn10 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:57 pm I had shingles about 7 yrs ago, luckily I went to the doctor and was treated early on. I had the new shots 6mos ago, believe me the shot pain is nothing compared to shingles Get the shots if you've had the measles.
You mean Chicken Pox.
Yes I stand corrected, thank you.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nickn10 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 pm
piller wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:25 pm
You mean Chicken Pox.
Yes I stand corrected, thank you.
It happens. No biggie. If I thought it was anything other than an accidental typo, I would have put differently. We all make typographical errors.
D. Brian Casady
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I had some soreness in the arm with each of the two shots, and that was the extent of it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

KWK wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:50 am I had some soreness in the arm with each of the two shots, and that was the extent of it.
Count your blessings.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I do. I just wanted to let others get a feel for the odds.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OK. I think about a year or even further back I had the first of the double shots for the shingles. Then we got sick.... The pharmacist at that time said I should wait for a while before getting that second shot. I can't remember the time frame. The question is Should I start all over and get the first shot again or do I just need to get the 2nd shot?

Elaine
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'm not a doctor, and I never played on on TV. My suggestion is to ask a Doctor.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mrs. YK and I had them in 2019. Both the first and second shots hurt like heck, but the first was worse for me while the second was worse for her. Our problem was the lack of availability last year; took forever for the shots to come in. We were on a waiting list for quite some time. Well worth it though.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I had shingles about 15 years ago...what a major PITA! Had 10 squares and the temperature must have been near 100. ---6
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

J Miller wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:51 pm OK. I think about a year or even further back I had the first of the double shots for the shingles. Then we got sick.... The pharmacist at that time said I should wait for a while before getting that second shot. I can't remember the time frame. The question is Should I start all over and get the first shot again or do I just need to get the 2nd shot?

Elaine
If it has been more than a year, you need to start over. Around 9 months is still within the realistic time frame for the second shot. 9 to 12 months is getting a little close to probably needing to start over. Double check with your Doctor.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 pm
J Miller wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:51 pm OK. I think about a year or even further back I had the first of the double shots for the shingles. Then we got sick.... The pharmacist at that time said I should wait for a while before getting that second shot. I can't remember the time frame. The question is Should I start all over and get the first shot again or do I just need to get the 2nd shot?
If it has been more than a year, you need to start over. Around 9 months is still within the realistic time frame for the second shot. 9 to 12 months is getting a little close to probably needing to start over. Double check with your Doctor.
....Doctors don't know much more than what the drug rep or package insert tells them....triple check with your pharmacist....! :wink: