Gun Store Clerk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Gun Store Clerk

Post by octagon »

I haven't lived in a town for decades and must periodically run to town for grub, books etc.
On one of these trips, taking the back roads to avoid tailgaters, I see a new gun shop and it's a sure enough big one, like a small warehouse, and I feel a visit coming on some time to support the new business. Some months later, I'm driving by the new shop with the Wife, and whip the truck into the parking lot, with a solemn promise to be back out in 5 minutes. Entering, I see that only a small fraction of available space is being utilized in one corner. On the wall are 30 new black guns, and one lonely lever right in the middle...
The 30 yo clerk hops up asking,"What can I show you?" "Nothing, thanks, What is the caliber of the levergun?" I says. He pulls down the lever from the wall, points it at my chest, and from the hip opens the action and slams it shut...I see right off it is an anti-tank sized lever, and slowly put my finger along side the barrel and slowly move the barrel away from my chest...Old boss dude in the corner is rubbing the bridge of his nose under his glasses with eyes closed as I spin and walk to the exit. Still looking for a 357 for the truck. 8 months later the new gun shop has mysteriously closed.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Gun Store Clerk

Post by TraderVic »

I usually hate to see a gun shop close their doors, however, I don't think you lost a real gun shop at all.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

They probably only sold the black rifles, and not many of those. That safe gun handling video from Lena Miculek which AJMD429 posted on this forum should be mandatory watching for all gun shop employees.
The older and experienced employees would have good habits reinforced, and the new ones would hopefully learn something.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I often wonder just where they find these Gun Store Clerks, some haven't got a clue and others treat you like a newbie who's never fired a gun and obviously need their "expert" advice.... :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I rarely go into a busy gun shop without at some point noticing a muzzle waving at me; sometimes it is handled by a clerk, sometimes a customer. What ever happened to keeping the muzzle pointed at the ceiling in a crowded area...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Many years ago at the Lacy's Cabella's I was at the used gun racks and this clerk was showing a shotgun to somebody. The clerk swung the muzzle in my direction, a few feet away from me, and pulled the trigger, *click*.... I ripped the shooter out of his hands, and quite the display of loud outrage ensued, and I had drawn a crowd, and at least three managers before I calmed down. I was assured the errant clerk would be fired. I don't know because it was ages before I went there again. :evil: :evil: :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have two gun store clerk stories both related to ignorance. First at a local smallish shop but they carry a good supply of levers usually. Young guy behind the counter asks if he can help me. Do you have any reloading components for a 25/20? He tries to figure out what the heck I was talking about . I could tell this as I could smell the smoke as his brain was trying to engage but seemed to just be spinning. Oh! You mean 25/06? Uh, NO , I mean 25/20. More smoke! Not really his fault he had to go to school during the Obama administration.
Oh you mean 25 acp! He says with a swelled up chest as he has figured out what the crazy old guy wants.
Uh no! 25/20!

Mister, they never made anything called an25/20.
Dang! That’s funny cause I got three of them. Son, you do know they made guns before the AR-15 right?
On another day I was at the Hamburg Cabela’s and had made a haul. Guy do my background check looks at my purchases(1894 Marlin octagon takedown in 25/20, 1886 Winchester takedown in 33 wcf, And Winchester 1895 in 30-40) He looks at me and says nice guns but why did you buy them? You know you can’t get ammo for two of em!
It’ Ok I think I’ll be alright. Arrgh
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

I once walked into a well known gun store and asked the clerk if they had any enbloc clips for the M1 Garand. His answer was :"What is that?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What world are you guys living in that you expect these guys to be knowledgeable?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If shop owners had half a brain instead of hiring kids at minimum wage who grew up playing video games, they'd hire some old retired guy for the same money. Maybe a couple to work the counter part time for a bit more cash to spend on buying guns from their boss.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
josef644
Levergunner

Post by josef644 »

" 1886 Winchester takedown in 33 WCF" Man I had a sweet one. My first wife's divorce lawyer is probably still enjoying it. Its the ONE gun I wish I still had.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I was in my favorite gunshop buying some rifle or pistol or something I dont recall.. The youngster behind the counter has been selling to me for several years. I told him I had scratch built a rifle chambered for an obsolete round and that I wasnt afraid if somebody stole it from me as I'd have the satisfaction knowing they would never find ammo for it. He says whats it take ? and I said .25-20 to which he says you can still buy those... I said Nooooo?! He got on his computer as we were chatting and directly he said "Right here .25-20 ammo." I was gobsmacked- first that he was familiar with the cartridge and second he could find them whereas I'd looked many times.. 'Course they were $80.00 a box of 50 rounds. Fortunately I reload.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

A chain type gun store (3 or 4 of them in this corner of Ohio) has a clerk who is either an ex-cop or still a cop.....he is quite adamant that the 'gun show loophole' should be closed. He also is sure 22 WRF ammo cannot be fired in 22 Mag. guns. Oh well.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There are two types of gun counter "clerks" that I despise.

The newby whose knowledge base covers AR-15's, Glocks, and the .300WinMag, and the crusty old know-it-alls who have become bitter imparting their hard earned pearls-of-wisdom on customer swine.

I try to keep it simple. May I inspect that firearm? Where are the reloading supplies?

I don't take obscure or obsolete firearms questions to someone whom I know will most like return a blank stare.

I don't get pissy when some rube violates a tenet of safety. If i survive, I adjust my approach to the venue and situation. At the range, I inform the party of the violation and if appropriate dress them down, e.g., a child with their father. I politely correct the child, and then I politely dress down the father (out of range of the child's hearing). At a gun counter, I provide reinforcement with a look directly in the eyes and in a voice loud enough for anyone at the counter to hear: "Watch that muzzle." I generally don't get nasty unless there is a live round involved, or there is deliberate negligent carelessness.

We have an obligation to teach what we know in a manner that ensures that it is effectively passed on.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The ones who support ‘gun control’ really annoy me too - after the third lecture on why nobody ‘needs’ a laser sight (“they are just for gangbangers and mall-ninjas”) or P-Mag drum (“if you need more than ten shots you should just stay in your bedroom”) or 500 S&W levergun (“way too powerful to use on deer; you’ll blow the critter in two”), I just do mail-order and have stuff sent to me or if it has to go to an FFL, a different store.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:24 pmWhat world are you guys living in that you expect these guys to be knowledgeable?
The same on where I think car salesmen should at least know the details of their cars... like "what's the final gear ratio in that red 'Vette?" Or, "...what size engine is in that Yellow Camaro?" I don't think it's my job as the buyer to answer those questions for them! As I told the dealership's owner... if you'd put that info on the stickers, I wouldn't have to expose his salesmen's lack of knowledge! After I'd had to explain what a final drive gear ratio is.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Ok then but, ... ;-) I really doubt you depend on any salesman for the information you want.

I know a number of very knowledgeable gun clerks. They also have their customer stories. ;-)

All you have to do is listen to a few customers.

Two sides to most coins..
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sort of funny how it seems different from each side of the counter. Depending on the business, it can seem funny when someone tries to tell you something and they don't know much. Sometimes it is better to just shrug it off. I come here to get information. My local gun store has some good and knowledgeable folks. The big box store close to me has a bunch of young kids. Those kids do not know a 33 Win from a 35 Rem from a 257 Roberts.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost