dive gear opinions please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

dive gear opinions please

Post by Grizz »

short scenario . . . when I begin my Pacific Cruise I want to have dive gear so I can access the bottom of my boat, or free a stuck anchor, or spear a fish, etc.

1 I am not only NOT a strong swimmer, I am a sinker, I needed a cork belt to stay afloat after falling off of water skis
1b I am not remotely athletic

I am interested in locating quality gear, a snorkel, swim fins, and goggles, which I might never use past the shallow end of a lagoon. I would like fins that accomodate egress or entrance into the afore mentioned lagoon....

need input

thanks levergunners
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: dive gear opinions please

Post by Blaine »

A dive shop is where you want to peruse the products....I would add a length of rope to tether yourself to the boat.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Would it be easier to just hire a "local" when you stop at a port or island.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

3leggedturtle wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:23 pm Would it be easier to just hire a "local" when you stop at a port or island.
maybe, but the time warp means that 95% of the trip there is not another human in sight. and by the time I get that far, I be broke...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 pm A dive shop is where you want to peruse the products....I would add a length of rope to tether yourself to the boat.
rope. why didn't I think of that? rope on a boat? good idea :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:21 pm
Blaine wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 pm A dive shop is where you want to peruse the products....I would add a length of rope to tether yourself to the boat.
rope. why didn't I think of that? rope on a boat? good idea :lol:
You proably know this but water pressure is close to .5 PSI per foot....At age 75, your lungs suck.

:lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

:twisted:
Very good advice!
I got my diver's certification when I was 16. Some things have changed a bit, but back then when I was pretty active with it you had to show your certification card to get tanks filled or rent them. A good set of fins, mask and snorkel combined with a life jacket will take care of most of what you need, but you never know what you're going to get into. Especially single handing it, there's always something popping up that takes you by surprise.

Throwing a couple of lines overboard if you are planning on going in the water is a great idea. I usually threw a couple overboard with life jackets tied to the ends if I would be swimming, cleaning the hull, etc. I don't know if I would tie on to it though, that too could get tangled or fouled.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Being a relatively bad swimmer, and not a sailor, it sounds reasonable to go to a dive shop and start asking questions. They probably have access to good answers to most of your questions, and answers to questions you have not thought about yet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:43 am short scenario . . . when I begin my Pacific Cruise I want to have dive gear so I can access the bottom of my boat, or free a stuck anchor, or spear a fish, etc.

1 I am not only NOT a strong swimmer, I am a sinker, I needed a cork belt to stay afloat after falling off of water skis
1b I am not remotely athletic

I am interested in locating quality gear, a snorkel, swim fins, and goggles, which I might never use past the shallow end of a lagoon. I would like fins that accomodate egress or entrance into the afore mentioned lagoon....

need input

thanks levergunners
So......where ya going in the Pacific ?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

3leggedturtle wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:23 pm Would it be easier to just hire a "local" when you stop at a port or island.
maybe, but the time warp means that 95% of the trip there is not another human in sight. and by the time I get that far, I be broke...
Where are some of these plahces you sre going to? How far from the Washington coast? Can you drop me off at one and pick me up 4 months later? :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It sounds fun. You wouldnct want me along on a trip like that. As a landlubber, I barely know enough to not turn mu back on the boom.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:06 am
Where are some of these plahces you sre going to? How far from the Washington coast? Can you drop me off at one and pick me up 4 months later? :mrgreen:
a son lives in Japan, and he is (stubbornly) keeping my grandkids there, so that's a destination. That's several seasons worth of gunkholing. I could stop in Hawaii or pass by, depends on the overall wx. OR I might be a butt head and head great circle thru the Aleutians and approach Japan from the North. This is completely backwards, going against the wind and tide, but that seems to be a life pattern. Maybe I'll go traditional the first time, trade winds all the way, then if I feel feisty by I could turn around from the back tack in Attu and see if I can make it against everything. I'd like to stop at Midway, and I plan to spend time in the Ogasawara group, and island hop to or from Japan. I am doing active planning with waypoint charting and wx studies. departure year is not determined, but plan to be ready to go over the next 18 months or so.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sounds like a great plan. You aint feisty, your just acting the way God made you! If you needed to change you'd be shown in multiple ways! Me and friend just sent a care package to Point Lay, AK. Wish I could have brought it up there personally. My passport is good for 2 more years and need to use it for some where other than Canada.

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Sailed cross the Pacific twice, also spent some time on the water around Japan and it can get rough and it can get cold, so watch yourself and stay vigilant.
You're sailing across some very big water, best wishes to you in your endeavor.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TraderVic wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 am Sailed cross the Pacific twice, also spent some time on the water around Japan and it can get rough and it can get cold, so watch yourself and stay vigilant.
You're sailing across some very big water, best wishes to you in your endeavor.
I'd like to hear more about this if you're inclined.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Hi Griz,
After rereading my response to you I believe I may be guilty of misrepresenting my comment about sailing across the Pacific twice. If so, my apology. I did sail across twice, but aboard US Navy warships ("USS John R Craig, DD-885" and the "USS Hoel, DDG-13"). We always used the term sail or sailing when we were heading somewhere.......probably shouldn't. My ships "cruised" the Phillipine Sea, the Tonkin Gulf, the South China Sea on up through to the Sea of Japan, among other areas.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TraderVic wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:07 pm Hi Griz,
After rereading my response to you I believe I may be guilty of misrepresenting my comment about sailing across the Pacific twice. If so, my apology. I did sail across twice, but aboard US Navy warships ("USS John R Craig, DD-885" and the "USS Hoel, DDG-13"). We always used the term sail or sailing when we were heading somewhere.......probably shouldn't. My ships "cruised" the Phillipine Sea, the Tonkin Gulf, the South China Sea on up through to the Sea of Japan, among other areas.
No worries. You used the correct terminology and didn't misrepresent anything. Navy ships do cruise, and sail is the right word. It's why I asked about your experience... thanks for the clarification. I'm planning to cruise in a boat smaller than the captain's gig or the average lifeboat. But of course my fuel costs will be lower! Thanks for the come back
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I would certainly check to see when the Typhoon (hurricane) Season is and be very careful if you're sailing during these months. Rode out two typhoons and they are a b#tch.
As we got past Taiwan and into the Sea of Japan, weather was usually cooler, the seas could get rough.
The carrier Midway (then based in Yokusuka, Japan) had a jet go down in a storm somewhere off the east coast of Japan and I was in the topside watch rotation. It was rough, wet, cold and downright nasty out there. We never did find the pilot.