Wipe Your Guns Down Before Putting Them Away

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Wipe Your Guns Down Before Putting Them Away

Post by JimT »

Check 'em regularly. This was left in a gun safe for more than 2 years ...
39- Marlin 30-30.JPG
42 - Marlin 30-30.JPG
Gonna take some work to bring it back to life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wipe Your Guns Down Before Putting Them Away

Post by 2ndovc »

That's enough to make someone cry!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Now that's a crying shame!
If I'm hunting in wet weather I always put the gun by the pellet stove over night and then leave it where it gets good air circulation until next time I go hunting.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Apparently the owner was ill and no one checked them. He had a heart attack and passed away and it was several years after that the safe was opened and this was discovered.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Other conditions played into that.....humidity on the severe level and in an area where they were temperature extremes. Not much worse than a safe in a garage or other outdoor buildings...J.B.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

That's terrible!

The safe must have been in a basement or a shed something. I've never seen a gun rust like, and I've seen some pretty sorry gun care (or complete lack of).
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I've only seen one situation of guns that rusted that badly and that quickly. A friend kept all his guns and reloading equipment in a small heated shed attached to his house. All went well for several years, until he got a swimming pool. Suddenly, all his guns and reloading stuff started rusting like crazy. He has mystified as to the sudden onset of the problem -- what could be the cause? I "solved" the mystery by pointing out the five gallon bucket of chlorine crystals he had started keeping in the gun shed after getting the pool. Even with the lid on, that bucket leaked enough fumes to rapidly corrode any steel it came in to contact with.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Pisgah ,,, it well could have been something similar ...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd agree with those who say something more to this condition than not wiping it down. In fact I'd bet if it was wiped down, and then not touched for two years it would still look very similar to this.
I've seen this with guns stored in safes that were in places like garages where temperature swings can go very high, and very low. The guns sweat, and this happens.
To anyone who has their guns or gun safe anywhere they wouldn't live, I'd recommend they check them weekly, or look forward to some rust happening. Guns should be treated like family members. Let them live where you live, don't ignore them, and take them out occasionally for a good time. Dare I say? Even if it's just to caress and hold them; then wipe them down and put them to bed.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'd agree that there's something more involved than just not wiping the thing down.

I have guns in my safe that I KNOW I haven't oiled in more than 2 years.
No problem.

Those little Goldenrod heaters in a safe are terrific, and they don't use
much electricity.

Shame about the Marlin - I wonder what condition the bore's in?

-Stretch
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The action functions just fine .. I could not see any rust on the bolt or the lifter ...

ADDED >>. I think you guys are correct about storing in proper temperatures and humidity. When I moved to Africa in 2010 I stored my guns with a family member. In the house .. in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. I wiped them down and stored them as carefully as I could and did not unpack any of them until late in 2016. Well .. I did dig out my 41 Magnum in 2014 and go on a hunt when I was back in the States for a month. But the rest of them stayed in storage and none of them developed any rust.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

It would make you cry.

Mark
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

What caliber is that rifle? Those rounds don't look like 30-30-30s to me
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

It probably came from starting with antique's but I use renaissance wax, it's not abrasive it's pretty much what all the museums use anymore.

It make the blue just a bit prettier and it's actually made for wood.

It's well worth the $30 and a old sock ;)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've used plain old Minn Wax paste on all my old guns for many decades. I bought a small can and still haven't used half of it. I wax both metal and wood by rubbing it in with my fingers. Then buff it off to a very nice sheen. I also use it a bit heavier on my hunting rifles before heading out in the fall to protect them from the wet fall rains, or snow.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:29 am I've used plain old Minn Wax paste on all my old guns for many decades. I bought a small can and still haven't used half of it. I wax both metal and wood by rubbing it in with my fingers. Then buff it off to a very nice sheen. I also use it a bit heavier on my hunting rifles before heading out in the fall to protect them from the wet fall rains, or snow.
As long as there is no abrasives, most waxes do.

I recently ran Ito a guy doing long and "different" storage locations and he vacuum packs his rifles. :roll:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Back during the era of the USSR, they used to ask, "Why do the Lithuanians pour oil on their flower beds?"
The answer? To keep their rifles from rusting!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JimT wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:01 pm Back during the era of the USSR, they used to ask, "Why do the Lithuanians pour oil on their flower beds?"
That might be to worth remembering...... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:01 pm Back during the era of the USSR, they used to ask, "Why do the Lithuanians pour oil on their flower beds?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: