Need some Marlin 1893 takedown advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Need some Marlin 1893 takedown advice

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I build guns for a hobby- and in better days I compete with them. Last one I finished was a scratch built Marlin 1889 in .25-20 caliber. Also I built the Marlin 1892 , rebuilt an 1888 - am scratchbuilding another one of those , and rebuilt a 336 and a model 60.. I rather like Marlins. So about 10 years ago a friend gave me a small box of Marlin 1893 parts before he passed away. Now that I am being treated for cancer and old guy slow you down stuff I want to build up a couple 1893's as a tribute to my old friend. . One in .38-55 and another in .30-30.
Now one old receiver has had the dickens beat out of it with a steel hammer to get the breakdown barrel off it. .I will Tig weld it up and recontour it but I dont know how that tube magazine takedown button near muzzle end should work- I dont have those parts.. I dont need a drawing , a simple explanation is enough for me to work with. No original finish on metal and new wood , it isnt destined to be a collectors item.. My only concern is that it looks original and nice and shoots tight groups when I go to the gun club.
Thanks
Steven
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need some Marlin 1893 takedown advice

Post by .45colt »

Steven , Welcome back I remember Your posts very well and You certainly built some amazing Guns . I can't answer Your questions but Help is on the way.!!! :D .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Here ya go Steve......

Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixer to the Rescue.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Thankyou Sixgun .That underside of the magazine picture explains it all . I appreciate it :D I will try to make mine look as good as yours but it will take a miracle, or just a lot of time loving on it. , who would take a hammer to a rifle anyway?
Steven
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

If you need any other pics I also have a 1893 takedown but it definitely ain’ As nice as that one of Six’s. I very much enjoyed your previous threads. Good luck with the Big C.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I am flattered that .45Colt and Fordwannabe still remembers me. I am bothered by two kinds of cancer at the same time. Not the really bad stuff though and I just mention it because the chemo takes away energy and fogs your mind. So I cant get much work done in a days time.

Now I will admit something . I know many levergunners are enamored by rifles with 20 inch or shorter barrels. I prefer 24 inch octagon barrels as they hang and point better for me . But for this takedown 1893 in .38-55 chambering , I am going to build it as a 30 inch barrel with a full length Tube magazine. Can always cut it down later if I dont like it - but I want to try it. Think I read 26 inch barrel was standard but a person could special order longer or shorter barrel.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Hope you'll post some pics of the builds as you go.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Alphawolf45 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:44 am
Now I will admit something . I know many levergunners are enamored by rifles with 20 inch or shorter barrels. I prefer 24 inch octagon barrels as they hang and point better for me . But for this takedown 1893 in .38-55 chambering , I am going to build it as a 30 inch barrel with a full length Tube magazine. Can always cut it down later if I dont like it - but I want to try it. Think I read 26 inch barrel was standard but a person could special order longer or shorter barrel.
Hey Steve....good old fashioned old age will do the same to you as in not being able to get as much done in a day as you used to.....for me, it's not the physical part of it a son I cans till work all day......it's the mental part....just don't feel like racing around anymore.......been there done that......

Sure......on the long barrel.......of your going through that much trouble, I'd go all the way to 36"....I've seen several old Winchesters like that....one is an 1886 hanging on a wall for in a gunshop in Colorado....I offered the guy 5 big ones for it and he laughed.

Show some pics...this stuff is interesting.---6
Model A Uzi’s
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Alphawolf45 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:44 am I know many levergunners are enamored by rifles with 20 inch or shorter barrels. I prefer 24 inch octagon barrels as they hang and point better for me . But for this takedown 1893 in .38-55 chambering , I am going to build it as a 30 inch barrel with a full length Tube magazine. Can always cut it down later if I dont like it - but I want to try it. Think I read 26 inch barrel was standard but a person could special order longer or shorter barrel.
I'm with you on the barrel lengths Steve. For carrying the short barrels are quite nice but when you are standing on your hind legs shooting then the long octagon barrels are the cat's meow. 24" is a nice minimum length, and I have a 26" that is nicer yet for shooting (unfortunately on a not-particularly accurate rifle). The 30" may be the best of all -- let us know.

And I sure am glad to see you back with a new project: have missed your posts showing interesting, fine work.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Please do post some pictures of your progress, very much enjoyed your previous projects.

Agree on the longer barrels for offhand, my 1895CB is worlds apart from the shorter ones and a good friend has one of the Canadian Centennial Winchester 1894s with a 26" barrel that is very nice as well.

Eric
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I got phone call from Green Mountain saying that they are out of the .38-55 barrels, the virus has them working without making new barrels for the time being.. . So I ordered a .40-65 barrel for the scratch built Sharps I started 7 or 8 years ago.. There isnt much to finish on the Sharps . I already had a new barrel threaded to it but I didnt like it . So yesterday I paid $375.00 to Green Mountain for a better barrel. If I am going to shoot a firearm in a match I want a good barrel and a good trigger pull .

I do have a home built Stevens 44 1/2 with a 32 inch long .38-55 barrel that I could remove, machine it down thinner and use it on the Marlin 1893 but I didnt fire the Stevens enough to assure myself that it has a good barrel... This is kinda funny- I laid out prone and rested the barrel on crossed sticks , shooting black powder rounds...First shot , right out of the gate , the upper end of the crescent buttplate recoiled into my collarbone and it hurt so bad I couldnt make a good trigger break for the rest of the day.. In fact I never took that rifle to the range again..