How do you store your leather?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

How do you store your leather?

Post by Walker »

I'm cleaning out my office this week and need to come up with a better way to keep my holsters than a box. I seem to have accumulated a pretty good selection including 2 SD Myres Threepersons and a Legends in Leather Billy Old rig.
Thanks,
Terry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How do you store your leather?

Post by marlinman93 »

Afraid I can't give a good answer since mine are under my loading bench in a milk crate. Even some old very collectible leather.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

One for the 1911’s is on my desk in my bedroom , one for the S&W 19 is also in my desk with the 19 in it . One for my S&W 29 is in the safe with the 29 inside and the one for the S&W 36 is also in the safe with the 36 in it . Sadly the shoulder holster for my scoped Ruger Redhawk and Contender is synthetic (YUCK) and hanging on the door knob of one of the closet doors . Of my leather all are Galco except the one for the 36 and that’s a DeSantis I think that’s correct spelling , well it’s DeSomething 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My main rig is custom by Tinsleep and Esperanza's is Kirkpatric. Both stuck in an old leather valise along with spurs, belt knives and scabbards. Mildew growing on them. Obviously I've not figured out how to store them properly. I'd love to hear from anyone who has the answer.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have 6 wester gunbelts and holster and holster combos. They are just hanging over one of my guncarts in my closet. Some I have not used in years. Once in a blue moon I may take them out and rub them down with some Justin Boot Leather Conditioner that I have. Other than that I don't really have anything special that I do to them. They don't mildew or any other negative effects.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have mine in a big plastic tub .. the kind with the "locking" lid. You can find them that are pretty tight. Add some of those little bags that pull the moisture out of the air.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks fellows, think I'll be picking up a bunch of those moisture absorbing bags and a plastic bin
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like gunpowder, keep leather dry, cool, and away from the sun. Once in a while, when you think the leather needs it, wipe it with a non oil based preservative, like Lexol. Oil will saturate leather and turn it into a wet rag with no form.-----Peppa
Model A Uzi’s
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Six
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have a closet that allows me to hang belts and store holsters on shelves. It's in the middle of the house so it remains fairly even in temperature and humidity. Obviously there's no direct sunlight. Never had a problem with mildew or cracking of leather.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

generally hanging on a coat rack or in a cardboard box, depending on how often I use it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:08 am I have mine in a big plastic tub .. the kind with the "locking" lid. You can find them that are pretty tight. Add some of those little bags that pull the moisture out of the air.
I do the same, plus some I use regularly in a plastic drawer storage system.