Chronographing the little .357 S&W

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Chronographing the little .357 S&W

Post by JimT »

I've heard a lot of times over the years that the short-barrel .357 revolvers don't produce much velocity. Some feel that you get about as much out of a .38 Special in the short guns. I was playing with the chronograph at the range today and ran a few .357 loads through it.

The Rossi Model 92 levergun in .357 has a 24" barrel.
My load was a 125 gr. Speer JHP and 20.0 gr. of WC820 (Military Surplus H-110)
The velocity was 2184 fps.

The S&W Model 340 .357 has a 1.75" barrel.
125 gr. Speer JHP and 20 gr. of WC820 = 1339 fps.
That's not too shabby for a pocket pistol.

I did receive a nice blood blister on the web of my hand next to my thumb. About 15 shots and I had enough. Recoil is quite stout.

This is a screen capture from the video of me firing that load in the shop.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Chronographing the little .357 S&W

Post by Twodot »

was it very loud?

I said, WAS IT VERY LOUD? :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Twodot wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:55 pm was it very loud?

I said, WAS IT VERY LOUD? :lol:
Huh?

Actually .. no, not with earplugs.
The recoil was very fast. Of course it don't weigh much .... but the blood blister is fading and the bruise should go in a couple days. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just acquired a 3" Model 60.S&W .357. Yes a little snappy with factory 357. Not bad with 38 Spl +P. Like the rubber grips that came on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The decibels is the reason I went from a six-shot 357 Mag Speed Six to a 5-shot 44 Spl Charter Bulldog; for less noise if I had to defend myself; no sense going dead in the process...

Then I went to a 7-shot 45 ACP AMT 1911, for more rounds of a similar-power round...

Then I found the ParaOrdnance 14-shot 45 ACP, and after 1,000 zero-malfunction rounds with Golden Sabre hollowpoints, I was hooked. With only 3/16th more girth than a 7-shot single-stack, I'm not sure why everyone doesn't prefer the double-stack, but having long skinny fingers makes it perfect (I'd still prefer it even if it only held 7 rounds; way easier to hit accurately with the double-stack's more rounded, revolver-like, grip).

I still alternate with an 18-round 9mm Lugar Taurus PT-92,which is about 10% faster on follow-up/double-tap, but mostly cuz I'm gettin old and like the hammer-down carry option...

But as a twenty-something in pharmacy school working evening and night shifts in bad neighborhoods, my carry gun WAS a revolver, just not a loud 357 Mag snubbed....

...it was a 7-1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum... :shock: ....hey, I only owned two handguns back then - the other was a Ruger Mark-I in 22 LR.... :roll: ...'shoot em in the eye-socket.... :lol:

I imagine the drama today if a 'college student doing their externship hours' was caught with a '44 Magnum' - if that had happened I'd probably have been thrown out of school, lost scholarships, and wound up a successful (I am smart at least) drug dealer. (...I would probably have made far more money than I have by staying legitimate.... :| ).

Such is life.

I still like the 357 Speed Six, but have NEVER shot it without hearing protection...!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Jim A few years ago I shot one of them with factory 125 gr, the guy wanted to sell it fairly cheap & I was interested until
I fired it 10 times

ollogger
historicfirearms
Levergunner

Post by historicfirearms »

That's quite a fireball! I have one of those 340s as well and it will split my hide on my hand after about 6 cylinders of full house 357s.
The noise is loud but not abusive. I'm a little sensitive to the concussion of a very loud blast, having a eustachian tube that is always closed. The 340 concussion feels like a little tap on that side of my head. The worst gun I remember shooting was my buddies AK47 pistol. When that 7.62x39 blasted off in the short barrel, well it felt like some big dude was smacking the side of my head.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

This is another screen capture of the same shot in the original post above. Note the time on the video is the same. I could not see this .. all I saw was a bright flash .. but I found this interesting. I have caught the same thing from other .357's over the years when I looked at a video of them frame by frame. Note where the gun has recoiled to ... it was still moving.
Fire2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Say now that snap shot on a video is cool, never thought of that. :oops:
Cool pictures Jim and info. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As much as it kicks you, how bad do you think the target feels?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i like the ring-of-fire sighting device

do you lock your wrist or elbow?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 am do you lock your wrist or elbow?
Nope.