Vintage Weaver Pivot Scope Mount (Updated With Pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Vintage Weaver Pivot Scope Mount (Updated With Pics)

Post by Rube Burrows »

I am looking to top my Vintage Remington 742 with a Vintage style scope and scope mount/rings. I came across these and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Looks like you mount the scope in the rings and you can pivot the scope out of the way to use the iron sights for close shots and pivot the scope back in place for longer shots.

I was wondering if the scope returns to zero after being pivoted?

Does the scope tend to fall over into the pivot position at unwanted times?

Basically, were they any good?

If not these, any recommendations for a vintage style scope mount/rings for a 742?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rube Burrows on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Vintage Weaver Pivot Scope Mount

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

The one I have has a piece of spring steel on the rings that snaps it in place when the scope is in use. Does yours have that piece of spring steel? The one I have does return to zero, but it also seems to flop around a bit when I use the iron sights. The rifles I've had mine on don't get shot a lot, so things might change with more use.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:41 pm The one I have has a piece of spring steel on the rings that snaps it in place when the scope is in use. Does yours have that piece of spring steel? The one I have does return to zero, but it also seems to flop around a bit when I use the iron sights. The rifles I've had mine on don't get shot a lot, so things might change with more use.

I don't actually own that one. I just found it for sale and had never seen one so I was wondering how well they do.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

had a set on a .338 years ago -- worked fine and returned to zero.
cable
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I went ahead and purchased it and figure I will give it a try.

Now, I'll be on the look out for a vintage scope.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

With modern optics being darn near as reliable as iron sights, and me never going on an extended hunting trip where I couldn't just walk back home and get another gun, I never really messed with the 'backup sights' options, but the Weaver 'Tip-off' system always looked sensible.

The only firearm I really use both irons and scope on intentionally is a 300 Blackout AR pistol, where I have a red-dot/laser optic on the upper rail, but a set of 45-degree offset iron peep sights as well, so in the event of an optic failure, simply tilting the gun 45 degrees counterclockwise gets me another set of sights without having to flip anything else or take my finger off the trigger.

Still, for a 'vintage' setup, I think you will be happy; surely, even if the fit is not really tight, accuracy should be within minute-of-deer.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I think most of us day dream about what if.... the scope is busted etc.. not really a problem, but what if it was ?

cant hurt to be over prepared !
cable
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Rube, my Dad’s 03 in 06 had a similar set up for several decades. He never had a problem with it The year he died I took it for a sit and that scope was accurate enough in that setup. A nice Weaver k4 or an older leupold m6 would be just right for that rifle.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:21 pm Rube, my Dad’s 03 in 06 had a similar set up for several decades. He never had a problem with it The year he died I took it for a sit and that scope was accurate enough in that setup. A nice Weaver k4 or an older leupold m6 would be just right for that rifle.

Good to hear. I will also look into the Weaver K4 or Leupold M6.
I have a 1960s Marlin 30-30 with an original Vintage Weaver that has been on it since the beginning and it has held its zero forever. I know I have had it 30 + years and never had to rezero it. Not sure when my dad zeroed it.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:45 pm With modern optics being darn near as reliable as iron sights, and me never going on an extended hunting trip where I couldn't just walk back home and get another gun, I never really messed with the 'backup sights' options, but the Weaver 'Tip-off' system always looked sensible.

The only firearm I really use both irons and scope on intentionally is a 300 Blackout AR pistol, where I have a red-dot/laser optic on the upper rail, but a set of 45-degree offset iron peep sights as well, so in the event of an optic failure, simply tilting the gun 45 degrees counterclockwise gets me another set of sights without having to flip anything else or take my finger off the trigger.

Still, for a 'vintage' setup, I think you will be happy; surely, even if the fit is not really tight, accuracy should be within minute-of-deer.
I'd be curious as to which 45 degree offset iron peep sights and mounts you went with. I have a 300BO pistol with a Romeo 5 red dot and the MBUS pop up sights on it for backup.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My experience with them has proven to me they're plenty close for hunting use. But bench rest the gun and it will show a slight variance that would only be an issue for accurate target work. Not what they were designed for anyway.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 am My experience with them has proven to me they're plenty close for hunting use. But bench rest the gun and it will show a slight variance that would only be an issue for accurate target work. Not what they were designed for anyway.

Good deal. Looking forward to finally mounting a scope to this one.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

This is the gun that I redone.

It was my father in law's gun. He tends to be hard on his guns. This one was left in a box stand for years. He gave it to me and it sat for a while then I decided to redo the metal as best as I could.

The photos are not the best. I had to pull these from another page I posted a while back somewhere else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Got the mount in and then purchased a Weaver K4 60 Series scope. It’s all mounted up now and ready to go sight in.

Thanks to all who commented and offered advise and information.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have had a fair amount of experience with that mount. Not on a rifle but on a pistol. Back in the early to mid 1980's, I had a gunsmith/dealer friend of mine who drilled and tapped the barrel of my Smith and Wesson model 41 and mounted that very same swing over mount. For those that don't know, the 41 is a target .22 caliber pistol with the ability for quick change barrels. I won a lot of trophies with that gun back in those days.

I competed in NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette using the scope, and also shot NRA Bullseye, using iron sights, and used this pistol for both. It held zero very well, and you could remove the scope and return it, and it would hold return to zero. That's the beauty about this hinged mount. I never had on a rifle, although I did know a few deer hunters in the 70's that used them, usually on a Remington 3006 autoloader.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Lastmohecken wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:53 pm I have had a fair amount of experience with that mount. Not on a rifle but on a pistol. Back in the early to mid 1980's, I had a gunsmith/dealer friend of mine who drilled and tapped the barrel of my Smith and Wesson model 41 and mounted that very same swing over mount. For those that don't know, the 41 is a target .22 caliber pistol with the ability for quick change barrels. I won a lot of trophies with that gun back in those days.

I competed in NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette using the scope, and also shot NRA Bullseye, using iron sights, and used this pistol for both. It held zero very well, and you could remove the scope and return it, and it would hold return to zero. That's the beauty about this hinged mount. I never had on a rifle, although I did know a few deer hunters in the 70's that used them, usually on a Remington 3006 autoloader.
That’s pretty cool.

I think this is just what I was looking for. I wanted something different than the y’all see through scope mounts. Wanted something that looked my nice and vintage. I like it so far. Just need to sight in the scope and find some original 742 iron sights to put back on it.