Other Gun Forums.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Other Gun Forums.

Post by gamekeeper »

I know that some of us are on other gun forums but just lately I have been looking at some obscure gun forums out of curiosity. I am often amazed at the questions that are asked eg: can you kill a fox with a 12 gauge? but the answers can be even more amazing eg: answer no you must use a .22 Rimfire. or yes you can kill a fox with a 12 gauge but use 00 buck up to 70 yards. The arguments that follow can get very abusive. I don't know if I find these forums entertaining or just downright frustratingly sad.... :lol:
What say you?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Other Gun Forums.

Post by 6pt-sika »

I go here , castboolits , Parker Collectors and The Stalking forum . And of course I run into people from time to time I find uh .......... disagreeable but for the most part it’s pretty calm .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've only got a few gun forums I look in on, and most of those I only look at one or two areas within the forums. I've got a few I looked at for many years that have declined in quality of format and users to the point I deleted them out of my "favorites" file. Just disappointing for various reasons, and finally gave up hope they'd ever be worth looking at again.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Indiana Gun Owners Forum is good for political and local-events stuff, and hopefully you all have similar ones to use for that stuff.

Otherwise, "Forgotten Weapons" "Demolition Ranch" "IraqVeteran8888" and a few other 'podcast' type things are all I do. No other 'forums'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Paco a couple times a day MOST days. Cast boolits and Marlin Owners a couple times a week. But I do searches and end up on other forums to get questions answered.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've been kicked off of several other forums....usually within a couple of posts.....it's always the same thing.."who are you to point out our deficiencies!" . It's hard being perfect I tell ya!--amiigaf---6
Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I hang out here, and look at other spots when they turn up, or is it turnip?, during searches. most of the ones I've been on, or kicked off of, have folded.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I don't post that often any more but I check in most days. Just so dang busy the last few years. Singleactions is the only other board visited semi-regularly. I've learned quite a bit from you guys over the years and really enjoy the hunting posts, the dandy levers you guys come across and the general banter. Heck Jack, I even like YOU!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So the foxes I've killed over the years with a 410, 22 mag, 22-250 , 20 gauge weren't dead ?
What I get a kick out of are guys that think they know what they are doing but are actually ignorant to the facts. Their ignorance to learn the facts from those that know better is even more sad.
I occasionally check in at cast bullets, trapshooter.com but spend the majority of my time here.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:26 am So the foxes I've killed over the years with a 410, 22 mag, 22-250 , 20 gauge weren't dead ?
What I get a kick out of are guys that think they know what they are doing but are actually ignorant to the facts. Their ignorance to learn the facts from those that know better is even more sad.
I occasionally check in at cast bullets, trapshooter.com but spend the majority of my time here.
Some of these so-called Gun Forums you dare not even mention the lowly .410, apparently the "experts" say it is only for mice and snakes..... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

ANYBODY can be a textbook gun expert with a bachelor's degree.........but it takes EXPERIENCE to have a doctorate.---Dr. 6 :D
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I post regularly on the Accurate Reloading forums, occasionally at Castboolits, British Militaria and on the Muzzleloading forums.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I look at AR15.com - i am a fan of "retro" black rifles like the original configuration Ar-15's, as well as FAL,s, and hk pattern rifles. They have an entertaining survival discussion forum.

Im also an avid cyclist so i look at a bicycle forum , but year after year after year i keep tuning into this one. Good people, good info, and occasionally entertaining to boot. Whats not to like
----- Doug
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

We're allowed to visit other gun forums?

But seriously, if you want to visit the center of bad/wrong/conflicting advice, my antique outboard motor forum probably holds the record in every category for this. Every newbe that successfully gets some old iron running for 5 minutes is an instant expert. Luckily we also have some who belong in Old Outboard Mensa if one has enough sense to listen and learn.

I come to this board for knowledge and entertainment. I'm never disappointed. I also pull a lot of info off Castboolits.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:44 pm ANYBODY can be a textbook gun expert with a bachelor's degree.........but it takes EXPERIENCE to have a doctorate.---Dr. 6 :D
Post high-school education:

BS = "Bullsh*t"

MBA = "More Bullsh*t Already"

PhD = Bullsh*t "Piled Higher and Deeper"

Luckily, I only got a BA -- a "Bullsh*t Antidote", thanks to my father surviving both the Depression and WWII and passing on old-school values and lessons.

Cheers. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya # 7.....our parents taught us proper plus the way we think was the culture of our associates and friends......a bad Apple was soon tossed from the group......today, even if a parent teaches their children proper, the schools are destroying the minds.---6

Took me a lot of years before I found out why I don't get along with many college graduates....even the ones at the gunclub feel "uppity" .......they think they "know better" with a few actually busting down on Trump.....wrong place to do that....

Each day I'm becoming more of a recluse.....chain at the end of the driveway....pulling the plug on the phone,....seldom leaving the house, the hell with family get togethers...(there's always an a.h at these shin digs that leaves a sour taste in my mouth).......I figure I get about all of the "socializing" I want right here.......----Dr. 6
Model A Uzi’s
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

^Describes my feelings exactly!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Heck, I don't get HERE nearly as often as I want to... I'm not cheating on you all! :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gamekeeper, those .410 people are also the experts that tell you a 30-30 is not powerful enough for whitetail deer( while many of them at the same time extolled the virtues of a long bow instead of a compound).
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:26 am So the foxes I've killed over the years with a 410, 22 mag, 22-250 , 20 gauge weren't dead ?
I got flamed big time on another gun forum when I replied to a question the poster asked about using a .22-250 for deer hunting! The majority said even if it was legal it would wound more deer than it brought down. I mentioned I'd used my .22-250 for mule deer for many years, and had well over a dozen one shot kills at 100 yds. to 400 yds. with it, and no two shot kills.
A couple guys admitted they'd never even shot a .22-250, and others who said they'd used it for varmints also said they'd never consider it for deer. Yet they all were adamant that it wouldn't work, even with my experience showing it worked very well.
I finally gave up and never went back to that forum. I figured if the crowd was so close minded they're not worth talking to.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:48 pm
I got flamed big time on another gun forum when I replied to a question the poster asked about using a .22-250 for deer hunting! The majority said even if it was legal it would wound more deer than it brought down. I mentioned I'd used my .22-250 for mule deer for many years, and had well over a dozen one shot kills at 100 yds. to 400 yds. with it, and no two shot kills.
A couple guys admitted they'd never even shot a .22-250, and others who said they'd used it for varmints also said they'd never consider it for deer. Yet they all were adamant that it wouldn't work, even with my experience showing it worked very well.
I finally gave up and never went back to that forum. I figured if the crowd was so close minded they're not worth talking to.
The first deer I ever saw killed was done in by a 222 shooting 45 grain handloads back about 1970 . Grandfather used the only centerfire rifle he owned to topple a big bodied heavy racked 23” inside spread six point . I have the rack on top one of the gun cabinets . He shot the deer at 102 yards thru the big woods , granted he shot the deer in the temple but it was textbook boom flop . I have the rifle and Weaver K-10 he used as well as the rack mentioned above , all the paperwork that was in the box with the gun when he bought it as well as the bill of sale for when it was purchased in 1958 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I suppose the prarie dog I shot at 275 paces, (confirmed by 2 others ) with my 25/20 didn't happen either? :D face it the 25/20 is obsolete right?

I've found that the guys with a glimmer of knowledge will refer to cartridges as the 338 Leupold or 22 Win mag as the best of everything, heck there is also the Rem Mag family. Yeah sure I'm not going to argue with ya.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
historicfirearms
Levergunner

Post by historicfirearms »

I was pretty active on the castboolits site for a decade. But the last few years it's gone downhill. Old knowledge members left and now it looks more like ar15.com where everyone is an expert but really doesn't know much of anything. It got me looking around for another gun website and I found this place. It reminded me of the old castboolits site where everyone is helpful or at least pleasant. Civility is becoming rare these days but it is still abundant here.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I quit MarlinOwners after being there from the MarlinTalk days. Too many silly, redundant questions as well as "expert" answers. Having grown up in the country, butchered every imaginable critter, killed critters with "you can't do that" cartridges. Trapped, sold hides, etc. I could get by the rest of my days with a 45 colt rifle, 223, 30-30. Many today don't have the opportunity to live as we did thus they lack the terminology/experience to engage the seasoned outdoor guy. I seldom respond but GKs topic/observation is mine as well.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

"Too many silly, redundant questions as well as "expert" answers." AMEN!

And I so detest those people that tell me not to hot rod my lever guns, but to buy a .458 Lott if I want to kill Cape Buffalo or elephants. When they do that, it only shows their ignorance, but they do not know enough about the subject to realize that. Hell, I do not care if other hunters use spears on game where it is legal- also none of my business to tell them how to do it. I could go on with many examples, but you know what I mean.

PS to me, the term "hot rod" suggests pushing safe boundaries of machines - I know the boundaries and do not push them, my sports car has only a 3/4 race cam! :)

BTW, 6 , you hurt my feelings when you left me off your "friends" list.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
PatientWolf
Levergunner

Post by PatientWolf »

I do go to a few other forums, mostly staying on a select group of sub-forums. Some irritate me but often those are irritations are created by a few select individual who are sometimes even the moderators. I still go to them for the other members who sometimes have some real value to add.

One forum that seems to be carefully moderated and just seems as comfortable as sitting around a campfire (at least to me) is the Henry Rifle Forums.

FWIW, I think this forum has been experiencing a significant upswing in value for me and I intend to spend more time on it as well.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've been booted from only one. The one for owners of a certain brand of levergun. In fact at one point quite a few of us were booted at about the same time. We failed to agree with the "company" line and weren't afraid to say so.

The results were another levergun forum being founded. Sadly it only lasted a few years. We had one member that was the heart and soul of the group. His passing sent us on a slow but terminal downward spiral.

RIP Best Lever.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad