How did they miss this one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

How did they miss this one?

Post by mikld »

I watched an old movie tonight that the BLM and NAACP, and far left democrat politicians, etc., must have missed. It is "Tarzan of The Apes" produced in 1932. It shows African natives (also with newsreel film clips from the 1930s) that were not college graduates nor politicians, pro athletes or entertainers. The natives were depicted as "primitive" native people. The natives called the white guys "Bwana" and were superstitious and fearful of the unknown. Good reason right there for banning the film. Also in one part of the film Jane was captured by "native dwarfs". They were obviously white dwarfs colored black (full body blackface) and wore afro wigs. Of course this was totally racist, so just like "Gone With the Wind", all 19th century monuments and "Aunt Jemima" syrup this classic film should be erased from existence.

As sarcastic as I can get for now...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: How did they miss this one?

Post by gamekeeper »

I guess If the white man hadn't gone to Africa things would be much the same as it was before Tarzan's time. I have not noticed any great movement of African Americans to return to their beloved ancestral home either.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

On my visit to Africa, it was interesting. I was in South Africa, so it was not really jungle. Not many vines to swing from.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ray wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:33 pm I have read every edgar rice boroughs book, extant.....entertaining but quite juvenile and scientifically off......tarzan's clan of apes were primarily carnivorous, slaying at least one deer or swine a day. His space opera stuff was just medieval fantasy set in space.

Along this line of somewhat racially politically incorrect, there are none better than edgar wallace 's commissioner sanders african novels. Quite rare and hard to find and and dryly comedic in that english wodehousian vein.

This 1935 film adaptation is a competitor to the tarzan films.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanders_of_the_River
If you read the books a fair amount takes place in locals other than Africa. He is after all an English Lord.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:18 am I guess If the white man hadn't gone to Africa things would be much the same as it was before Tarzan's time. I have not noticed any great movement of African Americans to return to their beloved ancestral home either.
+1 They got it made here! why leave?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I don't believe Edgar Rice Burroughs ever set foot in Africa. Pure fantasy.

By 4th grade, I had read all his Tarzan, Martian Chronicles, and Moon men books, as well as Pelludar.

Great stuff for a kid.

John Carter of Mars was probably the first superhero, not counting Roman, Norse and Greek gods.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle