Lonesome Dove.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Lonesome Dove.

Post by aussie »

Well, I have watched this movie/mini series numerous times and someone on here recommended I read the book.
Just finished it. Excellent, enjoyed every page. No wonder it won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Highly recommend it. If you only read one western novel in your lifetime, make sure it's Lonesome Dove.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Lonesome Dove.

Post by gamekeeper »

Yes the DVD and the book are worthy of anyone's collection. A all time favorite of mine and I have known a few non western fans who really enjoy Lonesome Dove too.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I'm in the middle of reading "Comanche Moon" by the the same author. Like "Lonesome Dove" it is top shelf entertainment, with many of the same characters. Best fiction I've read in quite some time.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

aussie wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:11 am Well, I have watched this movie/mini series numerous times...
Good for you! My son-in-law says it's his favorite western.

But for me ? ? ?

We have too many "favorite westerns" in this house to list any one, but to be totally honest.......

My wife and I struggled just to get through the first DVD for Lonesome Dove -- can't recall if it was the pacing, the acting or the story -- or maybe all?

Not sure what it was....

................................and we've never even bothered to insert disc 2.

Anybody else? Or am I the only who didn't get it, or doesn't see the attraction of it?

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

.. Quote.........and we've never even bothered to insert disc 2.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Some of My favorites , High Noon, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance , The Searchers , Open Range , Red River , The Missing ,True Grit, . And Ken Burns "Country Music ". ...throw it all in the washer and when You get it out the end result wont hold a candle to Tommy Lee Jones ( Woodrow F. Call ) and Robert Duvall " Augustus McCrea" in Lonesome Dove. The BEST Cowboy Movie Ever..
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

https://youtu.be/nBG2IxzEn7g

Gus and call at the bar.... :lol:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

To long by two hours to boring.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

.45colt wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:37 pm Some of My favorites , High Noon, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance , The Searchers , Open Range , Red River , The Missing ,True Grit, . And Ken Burns "Country Music ". ...throw it all in the washer and when You get it out the end result wont hold a candle to Tommy Lee Jones ( Woodrow F. Call ) and Robert Duvall " Augustus McCrea" in Lonesome Dove. The BEST Cowboy Movie Ever..
I couldn't agree more...... 8)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

About 12 years ago I had a near death experience in a motorhome fire and took about a month off to clear my head and during that time I watched lots of dove and all the rest of the companion series that were available. Plus about 50 other westerns of all sorts

-- i loved it at the time but not sure I have the attention span any more to get through the whole series a second time but it is a true classic that should be watched once at least
----- Doug
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

aussie wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:11 am Well, I have watched this movie/mini series numerous times and someone on here recommended I read the book.
Just finished it. Excellent, enjoyed every page. No wonder it won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Highly recommend it. If you only read one western novel in your lifetime, make sure it's Lonesome Dove.
Fiction? There's a lot more truth is Lonesome Dove than there is in the "reality" shows on tee vee.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Just a tidbit of trivia. Larry McMurtry and Ken Kesey (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) were good friends. When Ken died, Larry married Ken's widow, Faye Kesey.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/